The Blake Snell Thread

maloney.adam

22 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

I don't think many here are considering how much of a potential risk Kopech is after TJ. It's a toss up but in a package without another pitcher I think I would let Kopech go in a trade for Snell.

Why is he more of a risk post TJS?  He’s already shown his velocity is back.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That’s where Cheesy stole it from?  Do you know what Bowden specifically said on the Podcast?

It’s 24 minutes, worth listening to.  Suggested Snell and Meadows, but doesn’t seem sourced. Only specific he had for Sox is interest in Lynn.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Why is he more of a risk post TJS?  He’s already shown his velocity is back.

You keep saying this but he may very well have had to make changes that affect his secondaries and command and we have zero idea if that's the case.

Just now, fathom said:

It’s 24 minutes, worth listening to.  Suggested Snell and Meadows, but doesn’t seem sourced. Only specific he had for Sox is interest in Lynn.

I'n a big Meadows fan. But what would it cost????

I can't get behind trading both Kopech and Crochet. I'm such a huge Crochet fan that he's untouchable in my book. 

21 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Blake Snell is not Chris Sale. He's very good and has the Cy Young that Sale doesn't, but he's nowhere near as consistently great each season as Sale was. Therefore, he should not cost as much as Sale. 

Sale would've won the Cy Young in 2018 if he didn't get hurt. 

No he sure isn't.  He has one insane 7-WAR season and a handful of 1 WAR seasons.  He had a 4.29 ERA in 2019.  I get that he's young and cost-controlled and has huge upside, but so does Kopech, and I'm really nervous that one year from now we wouldn't trade Kopech for Snell straight up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

No he sure isn't.  He has one insane 7-WAR season and a handful of 1 WAR seasons.  He had a 4.29 ERA in 2019.  I get that he's young and cost-controlled and has huge upside, but so does Kopech, and I'm really nervous that one year from now we wouldn't trade Kopech for Snell straight up.

Me too, me too. 

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Honeywell hasn't pitched in 3 years

Reading up on his injury history and really have no idea what he’d be worth.  I knew he hadn’t pitched in some time, but that is a brutal stretch of injuries and there really aren’t any good comps.  With no options left maybe they would be willing to throw him.  Just crazy how he went from a Kopech type prospect to potentially nothing in a blink of an eye.

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

You keep saying this but he may very well have had to make changes that affect his secondaries and command and we have zero idea if that's the case.

I mean, he did pitch in spring training this year and all signs were positive.  Maybe there is still some risk, but the vast majority of guys who get TJS come back stronger velocity wise and have minimal side effects.  The fact he’s passed the velocity test should be considered promising.

34 minutes ago, bmags said:

There were only four trades in baseball history:

Semien, Bassett, Josh Phegley, Rangel Ravelo for Jeff Samardzija

Gleybar Torres, Mckinney, and Warren for Aroldis Chapman

Eloy Jimenez, Dylan Cease, filler for Jose Quintana

Yoan Moncada, Michael Kopech, Luis Basabe, Victor Torres for Chris Sale

Giolito, Dunning, Lopez for Eaton?

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

But if Bauer is a no go, who do you sign?

Honestly I'm ok if they go with a solid back end guy like Quintana and a guy with untapped upside after injuries like Richards or Archer. 

Tanaka has a high amount of risk but he's clearly the 2nd best pitcher in this class, and should cost about the same as Keuchel in terms of years and dollars. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I'm signing Paxton/Tanaka and trying to trade for Lynn. I just need a year or two out of these guys to buy me time to see if Kopech and Cease have it. 

Would you sign Tanaka to the same deal as Keuchel right now even knowing about his UCL issue? 

Lynn is a pure rental and I wouldn't trade much more than Stiever and guys like Sheets, Adolfo, Rutherford, Burger.

Edited by Jack Parkman

Blake Snell has huge value, especially with the very friendly contract.  I think the cost would be huge, probably too much for the Sox.  However, if it take one of Kopech or Vaughn along with some other pieces, it's quite possibly worth doing.

Is Tampa not projected to be a contender for the next few years, though?  Seems like Snell would be someone they'd want to keep.

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Would you sign Tanaka to the same deal as Keuchel right now even knowing about his UCL issue? 

He won't get the same deal and may even get a one or 2 year deal. But if his medicals clear and I believe his arm is or will be healthy, I'm okay with it. His deal would need to be three years with a fourth year option so that his contract could end at the same time we have to start paying our core. 

4 minutes ago, Orlando said:

No. After Bauer there isn’t a pitcher worth banking on. 

I know. That's why you go with a solid back end guy like Quintana and an upside guy like Paxton, Richards, Kluber and Archer while breaking in Cease, Dunning and Kopech at the MLB level. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, hogan873 said:

Blake Snell has huge value, especially with the very friendly contract.  I think the cost would be huge, probably too much for the Sox.  However, if it take one of Kopech or Vaughn along with some other pieces, it's quite possibly worth doing.

Is Tampa not projected to be a contender for the next few years, though?  Seems like Snell would be someone they'd want to keep.

They're doing what they have to do to stay competitive. They just made another WS appearance. They try to trade their guys at max value and retool on a yearly basis. 

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I know. That's why you go with a solid back end guy like Quintana and an upside guy like Paxton, Richards and Archer while breaking in Cease, Dunning and Kopech at the MLB level. 

If Tanaka is healthy, he can be a solid number two guy. If we don't get Bauer, we still need another number 2 guy, so I'd be okay rolling the dice there.