The Blake Snell Thread

maloney.adam

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Rays want to compete, so if they move Snell they will want to major league pieces and while Dunning a nice prospect, I think they’d require Kopech on the pitching side.  And honestly, if I’m them I’d 100% need Vaughn involved to provide some certainty since Kopech is a bit of a high variance guy.

I'm not trading both Kopech and Vaughn. They get one. 

I'm fine trading either, but not both. Vaughn and Cease=ok. Kopech and Madrigal=ok Vaughn and Kopech=not ok. 

Not trading Crochet. He's 21, left handed and reminds me too much of a young Chris Sale. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

19 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If they could get the deal done for Cease, Madrigal and Dunning I'd jump for joy. 

It's going to cost similar to Sale to get this done. Maybe they could get it done without giving up Kopech or Vaughn by giving up a 3rd piece like Dunning and another high-end prospect. 

That package would never be enough. Why would they take that? The have a player locked in at second. Cease doesn’t have much value at this point and Dunning isn’t a main piece. Kopech, Vaughn or Crochet would 100% be in it.

Just now, Orlando said:

That package would never be enough. Why would they take that? The have a player locked in at second. Cease doesn’t have much value at this point and Dunning isn’t a main piece. Kopech, Vaughn or Crochet would 100% be in it.

I'm fine trading one of Kopech or Vaughn, but Crochet is off limits imo. 

Just now, poppysox said:

Sign Bauer, Q, and Springer and keep all our prospects.  Now that keeps us in contention beyond a 3-year window.

No way they sign both Bauer and Springer. In my opinion the only way they sign Springer is if they get a stud pitcher on a friendly contract like Snell.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Orlando said:

No way they sign both Bauer and Springer. In my opinion the only way they sign Springer is if they get a stud pitcher on a friendly contract like Snell.

Like I said, let the Mets have Springer and try to acquire Conforto or Nimmo from them. 

If they sign Springer, it would be likely that they're planning to let Conforto walk. If that's the case, see if you can acquire him and extend him. 

Conforto is a much better long-term fit for the Sox than Springer is. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Some Sox fans don’t want to get rid of any prospects. Imagine the reaction if they traded for Snell lol

I don't want to get rid of many and I would just prefer they go hard after Bauer. However knowing the Sox and lack of interest in a much higher payroll vs using prospects as capital then I have to assume that prospects will be used.

On the other hand With EE, GG ,Mazara and Rodon off the payroll that's almost $30M freed up. Add in the raises for Giolito, Leury , Engel, Fry , Marshall and Lopez and I wouldn't be surprised that any of them besides Giolito gets traded or non tendered. Leury has  already got his raise for 2021. But all of them still are very cheap and are valuable to the Sox.

3 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I love Crochet but it depends on how he truly projects. Is he a starter long term? A reliever? Might be smart to trade him for max value right now. 

It's too early to know, but either way he's too valuable to the Sox, whether as a TOR starter or a closer. 

So let's say you're starting the deal with Kopech. 

Who do you add???

Edited by Jack Parkman

So just for the record, Snell has thrown 7 or more innings one time since the beginning of the 2019 season.  And that was in April 2019.  Some of that is the Rays, but some is elevated pitch counts.  

He has made 30 starts exactly one time in his career.  I know wins don't matter, but he has won 7 or more games 1 time in his career.  That speaks of his inability to go deep into games to me.  He has pitched more than 130 innings once in his career.  He has struck out more than 150 once.  He has had a WHIP beneath 1.2 once.  The year he won the Cy Young, his ERA was more than a run lower than his FIP. 

He had one magnificent season, and has been a good pitcher otherwise.  He isn't the guy Sale was  when the Sox traded him, he isn't even close, and no one should make that mistake.  

Honestly, at what the price would likely be, I'm going to pass.  And not only because trading with the Rays is horrifying.  

Edited by turnin' two
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Like I said, let the Mets have Springer and try to acquire Conforto or Nimmo from them. 

If they sign Springer, it would be likely that they're planning to let Conforto walk. If that's the case, see if you can acquire him and extend him. 

Ahh yes it's the off season , rich with talk of extensions for who we trade for and taking on salary of an overpriced veteran to get who you really want.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

So just for the record, Snell has thrown 7 or more innings one time since the beginning of the 2019 season.  And that was in April 2019.  Some of that is the Rays, but some is elevated pitch counts.  

He has made 30 starts exactly one time in his career.  I know wins don't matter, but he has won 7 or more games 1 time in his career.  That speaks of his inability to go deep into games to me.  He has pitched more than 130 innings once in his career.  He has struck out more than 150 once.  He has had a WHIP beneath 1.2 once.  The year he won the Cy Young, his ERA was more than a run lower than his FIP. 

He had one magnificent season, and has been a good pitcher otherwise.  He isn't the guy Sale was  when the Sox traded him, he isn't even close, and no one should make that mistake.  

Honestly, at what the price would likely be, I'm going to pass.  And not only because trading with the Rays is horrifying.  

I love and agree with everything in this post, well said. I bolded the "at what the price would likely be" because I think that's the most important. I would *love* to get Snell, but I think what they ask for and what I'm willing to give up are too far apart 

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Ahh yes it's the off season , rich with talk of extensions for who we trade for and taking on salary of an overpriced veteran to get who you really want.

Did you forget, everyone knows the budget of every other team as well!  Conforto will sign an extension with the Mets, if I had to guess.

22 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

No fucking way that’s the price and if it is we should simply pass.  I’d wager large sums of money that no prospect has gained more value in the last three months Crochet.  IMO, he’s a legit top 50 prospect at this point (despite how the major publications rank him) and under no circumstance can you give up three top 50 prospects for a guy with only three years of control and coming off a fairly ordinary 2020 season.  I love Snell and think he’d be a massive get, but you have to consider the long-term impacts of such a trade and two blue chippers should be the most we’re willing to deal for him.

• Like 1

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

No fucking way that’s the price and if it is we should simply pass.  I’d wager large sums of money that no prospect has gained more value in the last three months Crochet.  IMO, he’s a legit top 50 prospect at this point (despite how the major publications rank him) and under no circumstance can you give up three top 50 prospects for a guy with only three years of control and coming off a fairly ordinary 2020 season.  I love Snell and think he’d be a massive get, but you have to consider the long-term impacts of such a trade and two blue chippers should be the most we’re willing to deal for him.

I wouldn't even trade two blue chippers for him. 

I'd trade one. 

Either Vaughn or Kopech. 

If I'm the Sox, the guy I part with is Kopech. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 2