Sox/Pederson speculation via CSN

southsider2k5

2 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Everyone has lost money, no one wants to hear the crying poor excuse.

Of course, but this is the perfect time for Jerry to get away with the "you can't spend a dollar when you only have 50 cents" excuse. 

Remember that one? 

C'mon...we're White Sox fans. We should know better than to expect them to shop at the top of the FA class. They're always going after tier B guys. 

Bauer and Springer are a pipedream, and probably Darvish is too because of the money involved. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Of course, but this is the perfect time for Jerry to get away with the "you can't spend a dollar when you only have 50 cents" excuse. 

Remember that one? 

C'mon...we're White Sox fans. We should know better than to expect them to shop at the top of the FA class. They're always going after tier B guys. 

Not arguing with you on this Jack, I agree, Jerry will cry poor and we will get outbid on anyone in the top tier level which makes pulling off a trade for an ace important to this whole rebuild because we aren’t going to spend what’s necessary to get one 

4 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Not arguing with you on this Jack, I agree, Jerry will cry poor and we will get outbid on anyone in the top tier level which makes pulling off a trade for an ace important to this whole rebuild because we aren’t going to spend what’s necessary to get one 

I actually think that it makes keeping Kopech and Crochet a must. To me, what separates those two from Cease is their control/command. They throw strikes at a higher rate than Cease does. 

Giolito is good enough that he could be that guy for the next couple seasons, while we wait for Kopech and Crochet to develop. I think the bigger get would be signing Giolito to an extension and buying out two free agent years. I don't think we've seen the best of Giolito yet. He just started mixing in his slider more toward the end of the season and once that happens regularly he could take another step forward. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

If he's going to milk the pandemic excuse as a pretext to go cheap for another offseason id rather go with Joc ona 1 yr deal and use up whatever money we do have to use on a SP instead.

But I thought I saw somewhere that TLR said if he was going to manage he wanted JR to promise he would spend what it takes to win?

Edited by SoCalChiSox
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

If he's going to milk the pandemic excuse as a pretext to go cheap for another offseason id rather go with Joc ona 1 yr deal and use up whatever money we do have to use on a SP instead.

But I thought I saw somewhere that TLR said if he was going to manage he wanted JR to promise he would spend what it takes to win?

I'll believe it when they actually land a top tier FA. 

40 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I think that was just "white sox fans hoping so". They've clearly got a little to spend, but the fact that they're talking about trades for Musgrove and what not suggests they are feeling some pinch.

2 hours ago, Rey21 said:

Right now I’d rather have Ozuna because he’s already proven. Vaughn may be a superstar and hell sign Ozuna and keep Vaughn, you could never have enough hitting. 

Maybe Moncada has a better season to make up for any regression. I don't see Abreu regressing much.

9 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Maybe Moncada has a better season to make up for any regression. I don't see Abreu regressing much.

Considering that last year was easily his best career season, regression is possible for Abreu. But who is going to make up for that? Luis Robert. He's gone through a set of struggles now and seen what that's like...now the opposing pitchers are really in trouble. 

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

I actually think that it makes keeping Kopech and Crochet a must. To me, what separates those two from Cease is their control/command. They throw strikes at a higher rate than Cease does. 

Giolito is good enough that he could be that guy for the next couple seasons, while we wait for Kopech and Crochet to develop. I think the bigger get would be signing Giolito to an extension and buying out two free agent years. I don't think we've seen the best of Giolito yet. He just started mixing in his slider more toward the end of the season and once that happens regularly he could take another step forward. 

I really hope he continues to develop his slider. It's crazy how good he is able to pitch with only his fastball and changeup going. Not sure how sustainable that is, though. He needs to develop the slider further.

2 hours ago, Rey21 said:

I’d only be okay with Joc if it means they signed Ozuna to DH. They need a big bat at one of the 2 spots. Joc is nothing more than a band aid in my opinion. They need to be prepared for an Abreu regression and Joc doesn’t make up for that. 

Vaughn has the DH position sewed up.  No need for another DH from outside the organization.

• Like 1

I wouldn’t mind this at all but I’m kind of on the fence between trading for a RF or just signing one in free agency. There are better options out there via trade after Springer however are they willing to give up a couple of there core pieces? I’m just not convinced yet the Sox are willing to do that but things can change rather quickly.

Edited by maloney.adam

40 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Considering that last year was easily his best career season, regression is possible for Abreu. But who is going to make up for that? Luis Robert. He's gone through a set of struggles now and seen what that's like...now the opposing pitchers are really in trouble. 

I agree.

41 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Moncada, Robert, Vaughn and someone like Pederson would more than make up for any regression to '17-19 type Abreu production. Even Eloy is just scratching the surface of his potential production. People seem to be forgetting we already have a team on the upswing with an elite core that just won at a 95 win pace. By '22, an .800 ops from abreu should be sufficient. We just need solid complimentary pieces to fill it out. Of course Springer would be great, but we had encarnacion and mazara and still had one of the top three offenses in baseball. We're already in addition by subtraction territory there. Even resigning Mazara would be addition by nothing. No way he produces that poorly again IMO. Of course I'd rather aim higher there, but just saying. Its going to be very difficult to not substantially improve RF production from '20. Just get the best starting pitcher possible to stabilize the rotation, Sox will be in great shape moving forward.

54 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Vaughn has the DH position sewed up.  No need for another DH from outside the organization.

Guys... 

Marcell Ozuna almost won the MVP award 

Andrew Vaughn hasn’t had an at bat above High A ball.

I understand the excitement and the idea of him hitting some blasts but he needs time to develop.

Edited by Rey21
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

Locking up a 30 y/o DH long term, blocking your best prospect bat, and blowing a huge chunk of change while NOT addressing team needs makes no sense.  

Brother, check my other posts, if the Sox fail to sign Springer and end up with Joc I’m cool with it if it means Ozuna is here also. Trade Vaughn for controllable SPs 

4 hours ago, Rey21 said:

I’d only be okay with Joc if it means they signed Ozuna to DH. They need a big bat at one of the 2 spots. Joc is nothing more than a band aid in my opinion. They need to be prepared for an Abreu regression and Joc doesn’t make up for that. 

Moncada and Robert hitting to their potential makes up for Abreu. I'm fine with Pederson, but we don't need to go crazy here. 

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If Abreu stays in the shape he was in this season, the best he has been in since with the team, then I do not see much regression either. 

• Like 1

Abreu will regress slightly with age, but his fundamentals and approach at the plate are rock solid. Pitchers cannot figure our where to pitch him and when they make a mistake, he almost always crushes it.  If you re-sign McCann and bring up Vaughn to DH, you have the best of both worlds---a young hitter who is not under pressure because the Sox have a veteran RH hitter that can fill in or take over if Vaughn goes into a prolonged slump.

50 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

Brother, check my other posts, if the Sox fail to sign Springer and end up with Joc I’m cool with it if it means Ozuna is here also. Trade Vaughn for controllable SPs 

If Vaughn needs time to develop, as is your reasoning for signing Ozuna, he's not returning multiple controllable SPs.  Dropping 4/$100M on a DH when this offense already has the potential to be tops in the AL, while also not addressing the other other needs, is fallacy.