Sox/Pederson speculation via CSN

southsider2k5

9 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

He's fine (if they can't get Springer) but they'll need to get him a platoon partner.  And the  nice thing about that is that now you have a bench bat, something that the Sox had last year with McCann, but have rarely had over the years.

Engel is a fine platoon player from the right side. I'm good with that platoon in the 8-spot as long as the pitching is upgraded.

13 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Engel is a fine platoon player from the right side. I'm good with that platoon in the 8-spot as long as the pitching is upgraded.

Last season, Engel was significantly better against righties than lefties (but he was still good against lefties); the prior year was the opposite (and he wasn't good against righties). Those are the only 2 years to really judge because it has been in those 2 years that he has made such a dramatic improvement on offense.  Heck, he may become starter quality soon.

Edited by GreenSox

13 hours ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Phillies were like us just a year earlier and since 2017 signed Arietta, Wheeler, Harper, McCuthchen and Santana for $630 million...and that got them two year where they were a combined four games under .500 record and now they are in a financial mess...so you'll have to explain to me the side benefits they are getting. 2016 Orioles were a young talented team that had won 89 games and gone to the playoffs and paid 160 million (not 60) for Chris Davis and he bombed and now their franchise is in ruins.  Last year the Nationals "won" Strasburg for $275 million and they ended up 8 games under .500. You think the Padres spending $450 million on two players the last two years pushed them over the top?  You think that won't bite them?  Last year they got 4 WAR out of the two of them for $50 million.  Next year they will be 28 and 31 and cost them $53 million.     

OK it would be fun to be the Yankees or Dodgers with their annual $250 million budget...but we aren't so we have to spend money wisely.  Last year we got Grandal who is top 3 catcher in baseball...not sure why that's not a blockbuster deal.  We also got Keuchel who put up 2.1 WAR for $18 million while the Yankees got the shiny penny in Gerrit Cole who put up 2.2 WAR for $36 million.   I honestly think you have PTSD from the rebuild.   Come on man we are White Sox fans.   They had a great off season last year, the team has a ton of talent, our payroll is only $100 million for next year ($20 million less than the Padres), no really bad contracts on the books (like Meyer and Hoesner are for the Pads) and the free agent market has just begun.  Don't wallow in self hatred until we see how this plays out.   Enjoy the process.      

Your "other teams did the same thing and didn't do well (seemingly because they spent that money?)" logic does not hold water.

The example of Strasburg is such a blatant obfuscation. Signing Strasburg is not what single handedly made them do poorly, you essentially boiling that down to Strasburg is ridiculous.

What the result was of someone else's decision should not dictate your own in a situation that hinges on numerous factors. The 2020 White Sox are not any of the teams you mentioned. Saving money up until this point had a purpose. Now is spending time. If you honestly believe it is written in the stars as an absolute that if you pay someone top dollars it will somehow spell doom for your team then a rational discussion is beneath you.

Edited by RagahRagah

2 hours ago, RagahRagah said:

Your "other teams did the same thing and didn't do well (seemingly because they spent that money?)" logic does not hold water.

The example of Strasburg is such a blatant obfuscation. Signing Strasburg is not what single handedly made them do poorly, you essentially boiling that down to Strasburg is ridiculous.

What the result was of someone else's decision should not dictate your own in a situation that hinges on numerous factors. The 2020 White Sox are not any of the teams you mentioned. Saving money up until this point had a purpose. Now is spending time. If you honestly believe it is written in the stars as an absolute that if you pay someone top dollars it will somehow spell doom for your team then a rational discussion is beneath you.

Honestly you are too stupid to argue with. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Honestly you are too stupid to argue with. 

Translation: "I can't offer a cointerpoint. So I'm going to leave and take a swing at you on the way out." Very Trumpian.

You using Strasburg's contract as the lone reason for the Nats' doing poorly last year shows that if anyone is lacking intellectual ability here (I'm not douchey enough to ACTUALLY say that, just displaying the idea of using your own tactic against you) it's you.

Also, Washington is a special case because they basically spent half a billion dollars on three pitchers. I don't think even the Yankees are doing that. Again, context is needed for your examples.

Your posts are wrapped around logical fallacies like arteries. Don't bother jumping into an argument that you then have to ignore the responses for and then insult the person and walk away like a scorned child. You do that because you know damn well you cant win with your words. Man up and be a fucking adult.

I have never had to walk away from an argument because I deemed my opponent too stupid. Sorry, but any intelligent person can see right through that obvious bullshit excuse.

Edited by RagahRagah

11 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Translation: "I can't offer a cointerpoint."

You using Strasburg's contract as the lone reason for the Nats' doing poorly last year shows that if anyone is lacking intellectual ability here (I'm not douchey enough to ACTUALLY say that, just displaying the idea of using your own tactic against you) it's you.

Your posts are wrapped around logical fallacies like arteries. Don't bother jumping into an argument that you then have to ignore the responses for and then insult the person and walk away like a scorned child. You do that because you know damn well you cant win with your words. Man up and be a fucking adult.

I have never had to walk away from an argument because I deemed my opponent too stupid. Sorry, but any intelligent person can see right through that obvious bullshit excuse.

If you never found someone too stupid to argue with...that should tell you something.  Enjoy your day.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

If you never found someone too stupid to argue with...that should tell you something.  Enjoy your day.  

I have. But I still try. But I never need to resort to the petulant comments. You were one post in and quit, offering no cointerpoints. Again, you know you're lying to yourself. 

Sorry that logic 101 is stupid to you. Sorry that you don't realize that your argument is 100% unequivocally wrong. 

Edited by RagahRagah