Early Rule 5 preview

southsider2k5

Rule 5 will be tough this year with no milb season last year a lot of guys will be pushed into rule 5 that might have used 2020 to get mlb ready in the minors.

This should mean the talent level could be better than a normal rule 5 draft but there also is missed development time.

Imo you can't really draft hitters this year after they missed a year of at bats. But there might be some high octane guys you can put into a relief role.

Most interesting would be to find a pitcher who has used 2020 to gain velo or add a pitch but that is almost impossible to find out for the other 29 teams.

25 minutes ago, Quin said:

I'd love to see Maitan claimed by someone just for the hell of it. Dude has had the wildest time so far.

Still only 20 (turning 21) years old. He can lose a full year of development time and still be age appropriate in A ball in 2022. Obviously it's not ideal but it's unbelievable considering it seems like he's been around forever.

Garrett Whitlock would be most interesting guy to me from sox perspective, they've had such good luck with groundball-centric relievers. 

Man, there were a lot of college baseball fans that were so adament the MLB scouts were wrong about Jeren Kendall, but they were extremely right. I'm not touching anyone in the first round with >20% k rate in their junior year, and you'd like to see big improvement that Junior year. Even guys you think of with big swing and miss called out (kris bryant, george springer) both cut down their krates in college their final year to <15%. Kendall's k rate GREW his Junior year to 25%. I remember looking over and over at pro players with big swing and miss and what their college strike outs were and all were <20%. There was really only one outlier I can remember, and it was Aaron Judge with 21%.

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

This has a chance to actually be interesting.  There are some famous guys who are available (well famous if you're a baseball dork). I'm really interested to see if a team takes Riley Pint.  I would be surprised if the Sox take a player or get a player selected.  

My only goal today is not to lose McClure.