Kris Bryant

Chicago White Sox

What’s everyone thoughts on him as a possible RF option for next year?  Would you consider trading for him between now and next Wednesday’s non-tender dealdline?  If so, what would you be willing to give up to acquire him?

On the White Sox Talk Podcast, David Kaplan was a guest and believes it’s 50/50 that Kris gets non-tendered.  With a projected salary in the $22M to $23M range, his view is the acquisition cost would much lighter than what most Cubs fans would be expect.  Chuck & McGuffey through out Stiever & a low level lottery ticket as a theoretical package.

Obviously right now without knowing our budget it’s hard to speculate what broader set of moves is possible, but Bryant would be a hell of a buy low option that could pay off massively in 2021.  However, seems like it would almost certainly be a one year thing, which maybe is fine if you’re confident Colas can be in the RF mix by 2022.

Would love Bryant. If there's any way to get him and extend him then I'd be overjoyed. He's going to be a great ball player in the next few years and I feel like he is being under valued right now because of injuries and inconsistencies (not necessarily his fault).

If they know for sure they can't/won't sign Springer, I would take a flyer on a Stiever + a low level lottery ticket for Bryant.  He probably goes to FA no matter what happens, but I take his production in a prove it/prove healthy year and re-address RF again next winter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Technically a player can get a 20% decrease through arbitration.  As for Bryant, not getting a raise seems about right given how bad he was last year.

They can technically agree to less money. The team just needs to offer 80% of the previous year's salary if it goes to an arbitration hearing.

28 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

Bryant has to be kicking himself for turning down that offer a few years back.

What was the offer? If he returns to career norms next year, it would be as if 2020 never happened when he hits FA IMO. I mean we're talking about 34 games here.

14 minutes ago, Vulture said:

What was the offer? If he returns to career norms next year, it would be as if 2020 never happened when he hits FA IMO. I mean we're talking about 34 games here.

If you Google you’ll see lots of articles about how he turned down an offer “well north of $200mil”. Tough to say how many years, but I’m guessing 7?

2 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

If you Google you’ll see lots of articles about how he turned down an offer “well north of $200mil”. Tough to say how many years, but I’m guessing 7?

Hmm. I'll go with eight. In that case he'd have to sign at 6/160+ to get into back that range presuming he gets something like 21.5 mil in arb. I guess he's got his work cut out for him.