Kris Bryant

Chicago White Sox

If he's non tendered, worth a shot for the White Sox, and a chance for Kris to reclaim some of his value entering next year.  Think injuries played a big role, coupled with a short sample size. Also like he can back up Moncada and play RF. Much rather have Bryant than Pederson or Springer, the latter due to the large $s and years likely required to sign.

6 hours ago, fathom said:

So if Bryant is going to get traded, it would likely be by Wednesday before non-tender deadline?

I think so.  Sounds like the Ricketts need to cut payroll and Bryant is their best way to do that in one fair swoop.  I can’t see them holding him and hoping someone eventually trades for his ~$19M salary.  Either they move him now for whatever they can or cut bait altogether via non-tender.

44 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

With one year and His salary I can't see him being too expensive in terms of prospects.

Cubs shouldn't get any of the sox top4 prospects for him. I would thing something like a good 45 fv and two 40s or so prospects should get it done.

Which is a small price to pay for 5+ win upside.  If we can’t get Springer on a multi-year deal, Bryant at that price would be a great fallback.  The challenge is timing, because the likelihood of a Springer commitment is incredibly low before the non-tender deadline at this point.

I think some team will trade for him. You won’t have to give up much and it’s worth the gamble. He will be 29 and has been pretty great except for 2020. And if he is traded, unless the White Sox give up way more than any other team is offering, why would the Cubs trade him to them? How bad would they look if a salary dump help lead the White Sox to something great?   A lot more bad than if they traded him to almost anyone else except maybe Milwaukee or St Louis.

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I think some team will trade for him. You won’t have to give up much and it’s worth the gamble. He will be 29 and has been pretty great except for 2020. And if he is traded, unless the White Sox give up way more than any other team is offering, why would the Cubs trade him to them? How bad would they look if a salary dump help lead the White Sox to something great?   A lot more bad than if they traded him to almost anyone else except maybe Milwaukee or St Louis.

Better than letting him walk for nothing though.  I mean, they should fire Jed Hoyer on the spot if he ends up non-tendering Bryant when the Sox were willing to give up something.

1 hour ago, Dominikk85 said:

With one year and His salary I can't see him being too expensive in terms of prospects.

Cubs shouldn't get any of the sox top4 prospects for him. I would thing something like a good 45 fv and two 40s or so prospects should get it done.

Depends if the Cubs pick up any of his salary.  If not, which is my guess, then not much prospect wise in return.  Lower outfielder or something equivalent even Rutherford. 

Edited by smellysox

44 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

Like someone pointed out, its doubtful the cubs would deal w the Sox esp after we fleeced them in the Q deal 😁

I usually don’t put much stock in this kind of thing, but boy would it be a PR nightmare to let their golden boy walk to the cross-town rival for almost nothing.  After Theo leaving?  Tough to explain to the casual fan.

4 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I usually don’t put much stock in this kind of thing, but boy would it be a PR nightmare to let their golden boy walk to the cross-town rival for almost nothing.  After Theo leaving?  Tough to explain to the casual fan.

Yep it’s why it will never happen. Nats would surely up an offer of Rutherford to take on contract if that’s all it took.

54 minutes ago, ChiSox1917 said:

Im offering rutherford and a lower tier prospect tomorrow if this is real. Take his salary and then work on a short term extension.  

There is zero chance of an extension.  Dude turned down 200 million plus already. He's taking his one year and hitting the open market. 

19 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

There is zero chance of an extension.  Dude turned down 200 million plus already. He's taking his one year and hitting the open market. 

He will be so motivated to prove last season was an outlier. That is why I think you go hard for this deal. Also as said...he can play some 3rd base as well which gives the team a ton of flexibility. This move still allows Colas to be the long term RF if that deal works out and gives the Sox the best offense in MLB for a go for it season next year and a year to really figure out their payroll with Starters. Worst case...Pederson will be available next season anyways after his one year prove deal he gets somewhere this season. 

16 minutes ago, fathom said:

That’s a good one to consider

Ahhh you caught it before I deleted it. I thought it was wild but kind of stupid too. Bryant only has the 1 year left so I opened up a huge hole at 3rd base after Bryant leave. Hendricks is signed through 2023 with a vesting option for 2024.

Moncada is like a total mystery to me especially after his Covid season. On one hand I want the Sox to send him to a top cardiologist to make sure he is OK after his Covid bout.

Then on the other hand if they are going to trade him I'd rather they not know that  he is damaged goods . Let the onus of a complete physical fall on the acquiring team. Of course it's all moot if they have already sent him to a top cardiologist.

Stupid to open a big hole at 3rd base and take a possible future superstar who is one of our few productive LH bats out of the lineup but if future Moncada is the Moncada of last year it wouldn't be so stupid.

No way in hell I would give up Stiever for Bryant.  Bryant is a non-tender candidate for one, and for two, he's not even a long-term RF so there's no reason to extend him.  That move is entirely idiotic.

If you add Bryant for one year, basically the cost should be Jose Rodriguez straight up, or something to that effect, so you add him to a Darvish deal to kind of save face and make it look like you traded him for more.  So if the cost on Darvish is say Dunning and Madrigal, and the Sox would pay it, then you add a 4th player who isn't really a factor to make the package seem like more, and do like Darvish + Bryant for Madrigal + Dunning + Rodriguez + Burdi or something, so it looks a bit better on paper.  But Bryant is a salary dump at this point.  Stiever, Dalquist, Thompson, etc. these are not salary dump pieces.

A Darvish + Heyward + cash deal makes a lot more sense than anything involving Bryant.

Edited by YourWhatHurts

12 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

No way in hell I would give up Stiever for Bryant.  Bryant is a non-tender candidate for one, and for two, he's not even a long-term RF so there's no reason to extend him.  That move is entirely idiotic.

If you add Bryant for one year, basically the cost should be Jose Rodriguez straight up, or something to that effect, so you add him to a Darvish deal to kind of save face and make it look like you traded him for more.  So if the cost on Darvish is say Dunning and Madrigal, and the Sox would pay it, then you add a 4th player who isn't really a factor to make the package seem like more, and do like Darvish + Bryant for Madrigal + Dunning + Rodriguez + Burdi or something, so it looks a bit better on paper.  But Bryant is a salary dump at this point.  Stiever, Dalquist, Thompson, etc. these are not salary dump pieces.

A Darvish + Heyward + cash deal makes a lot more sense than anything involving Bryant.

Kris Bryant’s wRC+ & fWAR by year:

• 2015: 136 / 6.1
  • 2016: 148 / 7.9
  • 2017: 147 / 6.7
  • 2018: 125 / 2.3
  • 2019: 135 / 4.8
  • 2020: 76 / 0.5

Clearly 2020 is a huge outlier and a return to even his 2019 form would be worth well above his projected salary next year.  The challenge is you just never know with injuries.  I will also say the defensive metrics in RF don’t look too hot (SSS and possibly injury driven to some extent), which is something I had overlooked previously.  Regardless, whoever trades for / signs Bryant could end up with the steal of the offseason.

9 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Would you guys trade Jonathan Stiever, Leury Garcia and Matt Foster for Bryant? That’s the kind of deal the Cubs are probably looking at from teams. Two big league contributors and a pitching prospect. Bryant won’t have a huge market at $19 million. 

Stiever, Leury, and Jimmy Biceps. Foster was a revelation, and I aint weakening our bullpen.

Edited by Ross Gload Fan