Kris Bryant

Chicago White Sox

30 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

I would not want to include Foster.  Sub someone lesser, then perhaps.  Stiever, Leury, and Foster feels like giving up actual value.

I agree.  Relievers are volatile, but I’d rather not give up Foster at this point in time unless part of a package for a controllable starting pitcher.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Would you guys trade Jonathan Stiever, Leury Garcia and Matt Foster for Bryant? That’s the kind of deal the Cubs are probably looking at from teams. Two big league contributors and a pitching prospect. Bryant won’t have a huge market at $19 million. 

No. Foster I don't have a problem with, nor Leury. Stiever isn't worth that one year of Bryant  

3 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Would you guys trade Jonathan Stiever, Leury Garcia and Matt Foster for Bryant? That’s the kind of deal the Cubs are probably looking at from teams. Two big league contributors and a pitching prospect. Bryant won’t have a huge market at $19 million. 

Absolutely yes, I would drive all three to the airpo... Metra station.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

That's a no brainer for the Sox which is exactly why the Cubs wouldn't do it.  

I'd absolutely do this. The Sox have been able to develop relief pitching so I'm not too worried there. Leury is a serviceable UTIL when he not injured. Trading Stiever would sting, but you gotta give to get. 

I would probably do it, but only if they are unable to sign Springer.

5 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Not a chance in hell.

Add 19 mil to the payroll and take the team out of the running for at least one significant FA + dump 6 years of a top SP prospect + dump our UT guy + dump our best MR, all to get a mediocre at best (likely worse) defensive RF with shoulder issues who has 1 year left and who we wouldn't even try to extend for purely baseball reasons, even ignoring the fact that he's a Boras client?

Yeah not a chance in hell.

The Sox would be about 1000x better off just signing Joc Pederson.  And trading Stiever is really not something I would want to see them do, but the absolute low end on a Stiever deal needs to be Musgrove.  And there's really no reason to even do that.  This is a guy who should be allowed to develop further.  I'm not surprised that some people here think he's basically a bag of balls in trade value but yeah those people are fools.  

From the Sox standpoint, Springer > Pederson > bring back Mazara > very many other options > a Bryant deal

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

After watching him choke in the playoffs, looking how he was beginning to fall apart at the end of the season, and how he wasn't so highly regarded 60 games ago, Foster is near the top of my list of guys to trade if teams want to overlook that. He seems almost certain to regress,  and maybe a lot.

We've seen a lot of RPs have success with the FB changeup combo like he uses.  I don't think he's a setup guy longterm but he's probably a pretty solid or better MR.  I'm not sure there is another team that will think he's more than a SU man and it's very unlikely his inclusion as a 3rd or 4th piece in a very significant deal will be non-negotiable.

Personally I'd rather give up Marshall also.

The answer is yes. The Sox are at the point where they don't NEED another player to put them over the top offensively, but certainly it would be good to have. We could definitely get away with a Joc Pederson or JBJ and be fine. Hell we could be fine with Engel starting 120 games. The offense is more than solid enough to win a championship if you believe in Vaughn to come in and produce right away. That being said Bryant is the perfect type of match. You get him for one year, you're not committing too much in terms of a contract, in terms of talent given back, etc. It's a no-brainer. 

If you come out of this offseason and somehow the deals are Kris Bryant for Stiever, 1yr, 20mm & Bauer, 3-4 years at $40mm AAV you've won the offseason. You've got yourself your two biggest needs and your long term risk is very, very reasonable. It wouldn't rob your minor leagues like some trades would do, and it doesn't rob your future payroll flexibility either since you'd have so many guys coming off in 2023, 2024, 2025, etc. 

2022- Abreu and his $18mm roll off, Keuchel $18mm

2023 - Yasmani and his $18mm roll off

2024 - theoretically Bauer would roll off at $40mm

Leaves you a lot of $$ to play with in the heart of a hunt for a world series all while those guys just named above are still producing since they're not that old/still in their prime.

I think a lot of people are caught up in Bryant's 2020, but you're talking about a 24 WAR player in 5 seasons. 5 WAR players should cost what? Isn't it like $6-8mm per WAR? If you can get a 3-5 WAR player, and you're paying $20mm and nothing too significant going back? That's a win. The biggest hurdle is the Cubs possibly giving another piece (Eloy, Cease, Bryant) to a possible championship run - but they don't strike me as someone who cares ... i think if they like Steiver more than whatever the Nats or whoever offer? They'll take it. 

• Like 2

Also to add to that - I personally think you'll see  another shortened season where an abbreviated ST starts when Opening Day does. Then you will see a 100-120 game season IMO.

the point of that in my mind is to delay the start of the season to where any vaccine can be mostly rolled out & therefore fans (in some capacity) will be allowed back in the park. So in this scenario you start the season on April 1 for ST, and then something like Mid-May or Memorial Day for the regular season. Take the details out of it, but this allows teams to have plans of how they will execute and allow fans in a vaccine world. 

I think under this assumption the Sox have every reason to spend (not saying they will). But spending that extra $75mm or so to payroll for a Bauer, Bryant and bullpen would be paid back in full with 33,000+ at each game rather than 28,000+. In the above scenario, the Sox come in at about $175mm payroll which would put them around Top 8 status for the next few years. I think that's reasonable based on where the Sox have spent in other perspective runs. 

I personally believe the Mets will take on most of our targets (McCann, Springer, Bauer, maybe even Bryant)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I want Kris Bryant on this team so badly.

From the Darvish trade, the Cubs are basically giving up their guys for salary relief. 

Bryant should be had for basically nothing.

My biggest wish right now is that we trade for Bryant, somehow extend him. 

IMO Bryant's value is low right now, but he's shown that he can be an MVP caliber player and honestly, I think in a normal season he is just that. So this is a perfect time to strike. 

Edited by iWiN4PreP
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I want Kris Bryant on this team so badly.

From the Darvish trade, the Cubs are basically giving up their guys for salary relief. 

Bryant should be had for basically nothing.

My biggest wish right now is that we trade for Bryant, somehow extend him. 

IMO Bryant's value is low right now, but he's shown that he can be an MVP caliber player and honestly, I think in a normal season he is just that. So this is a perfect time to strike. 

In theory, I agree with you 100%

But those injuries, man...

4 minutes ago, Ross Gload Fan said:

In theory, I agree with you 100%

But those injuries, man...

I disagree that the injuries are a concern. His injuries seem to be hustle based injuries. I think he gets unfairly marked as someone to worry about with injuries in mind, which is again another reason why I think we'd be buying low on him now.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I disagree that the injuries are a concern. His injuries seem to be hustle based injuries. I think he gets unfairly marked as someone to worry about with injuries in mind, which is again another reason why I think we'd be buying low on him now.

He would never agree to an extension coming off that 2020 season

On 11/28/2020 at 3:30 PM, NO!!MARY!!! said:

Not going to happen. And remember when many media members were indignant when they thought the Sox were refusing to trade with the Cubs? They will be equally indignant at the thought of Kris with the Dreamy Smile being traded to the Scum Team. 

Agree.

I would trade him

So there was definitely some buzz this weekend that the Cubs are really looking at trading Bryant. Seems like the Mets are all over it (as they should be). 

Nationals and Braves are also ideal targets. Have to wonder why both of those clubs are not more involved here as there is a serious need at 3b and a prime hitter for both.

I still wish our White Sox would get in on this. He could be had for very little (i'm sure) and would be an incredible addition even though he is right handed and we are RH heavy.