Kris Bryant

Chicago White Sox

13 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

So there was definitely some buzz this weekend that the Cubs are really looking at trading Bryant. Seems like the Mets are all over it (as they should be). 

Nationals and Braves are also ideal targets. Have to wonder why both of those clubs are not more involved here as there is a serious need at 3b and a prime hitter for both.

I still wish our White Sox would get in on this. He could be had for very little (i'm sure) and would be an incredible addition even though he is right handed and we are RH heavy. 

You need to let this go...it ain’t happening after the Eaton addition.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You need to let this go...it ain’t happening after the Eaton addition.

It's frustrating watching star players go for pennies this offseason. I know our Sox don't have a lot of depth in the minors, but I wish they would get a bit more creative in trade pursuits and be more willing to spend in free agency for quality. 

You are right tho, it ain't happening as much as I want to wish it into a possibility. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

So there was definitely some buzz this weekend that the Cubs are really looking at trading Bryant. Seems like the Mets are all over it (as they should be). 

Nationals and Braves are also ideal targets. Have to wonder why both of those clubs are not more involved here as there is a serious need at 3b and a prime hitter for both.

I still wish our White Sox would get in on this. He could be had for very little (i'm sure) and would be an incredible addition even though he is right handed and we are RH heavy. 

I would bet my retirement fund tgat Bryant gets traded.

Overall I thought the Clevenger return was light, the Darvish deal okay but still light, the Lindor-Carrasco deal was a fucking steal and an embarrassment for Cleveland, and by those standards I think the price on Bryant is salary relief and 1 bag of balls.  The Cubs will dump him but its going to bring nothing back IMO.

Really the Snell deal and the Mariners deal for their late bloomer UT/C guy are the only deals I can immediately think of in ver recent history where I thought the selling team did great.

Overall prospect returns have collapsed a bit because teams now all know surplus value and how valuable cost controlled young players are.

This means real "fleecings" are rare now because every idiot now can look at surplus value tables. Top prospects only get traded in very rare cases for cost controlled young superstars in these days.

On top of this also the success of the cubs and astros with tanking hard lead to many teams trying that leading to an oversupply of talent and an increased demand for prospects.

Simply not a lot of teams try to compete and many try to trade for prospects and this makes it hard to get good returns.

The sox really got lucky they sold before the teams got super stingy with their prospects plus they had those good contracts.

I think it is a good thing that prospect prizes increased because that is an incentive against tanking which sucks for the game (still good the sox did it, it was the only way for them to get good again).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

It's frustrating watching star players go for pennies this offseason. I know our Sox don't have a lot of depth in the minors, but I wish they would get a bit more creative in trade pursuits and be more willing to spend in free agency for quality. 

You are right tho, it ain't happening as much as I want to wish it into a possibility. 

Some of the best moves in the past two decades have occurred when a team takes advantage of another's "need" to sell.

This offseason has and should bring plenty of these opportunities.

By a stroke of luck the Sox were/are positioned beautifully to strike during this offseason.  So far, we seemingly paid top dollar for Eaton and traded value away for an underpaid Lynn.  

I feel like the Brewers, Rockies, Dbacks, Reds, Cubs and maybe the Red Sox could all still sell this offseason.  Take advantage Rick.  It doesn't need to be a perfect fit.  Stack up some talent and win.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Some of the best moves in the past two decades have occurred when a team takes advantage of another's "need" to sell.

This offseason has and should bring plenty of these opportunities.

By a stroke of luck the Sox were/are positioned beautifully to strike during this offseason.  So far, we seemingly paid top dollar for Eaton and traded value away for an underpaid Lynn.  

I feel like the Brewers, Rockies, Dbacks, Reds, Cubs and maybe the Red Sox could all still sell this offseason.  Take advantage Rick.  It doesn't need to be a perfect fit.  Stack up some talent and win.  

Agreed.  I think with the inflation of assets not fully priced into everything yet, now is a perfect opportunity to just go spend cash and also do what you say.  

To juggernaut or not to juggernaut seems to be the question. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Agreed.  I think with the inflation of assets not fully priced into everything yet, now is a perfect opportunity to just go spend cash and also do what you say.  

To juggernaut or not to juggernaut seems to be the question. 

That's not the question with the Sox. With the Sox it's how do we add to the team to improve it while pretending we have this long window of competing so we can convince our fans that we are so poor that we can't afford to be a juggernaut. Usually that means not coming within $60M of the top of the payroll scale for any given year. I think most of the owners love how Covid has given them an excuse to not spend money and cut expenses and suppress labor and operating costs.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Overall I thought the Clevenger return was light, the Darvish deal okay but still light, the Lindor-Carrasco deal was a fucking steal and an embarrassment for Cleveland, and by those standards I think the price on Bryant is salary relief and 1 bag of balls.  The Cubs will dump him but its going to bring nothing back IMO.

Really the Snell deal and the Mariners deal for their late bloomer UT/C guy are the only deals I can immediately think of in ver recent history where I thought the selling team did great.

This is true. Lindor and Carrasco was wildly low. Clevinger, etc. 

I'd guess Bryant could and would be had for a Burger type return right now. 

That being said, if a vaccine rollout starts picking up steam (seems unlikely) and/or the season is delayed to the point where you can have fans in the stands for a large % of the season? Then I think Bryant return may pick up a bit. 

To me he is a perfect low-risk guy. 1 year is absolutely nothing and no risk and could very well be the difference between winning it all and not. 

Obviously all just talk like Bauer since not happening. We're the poor Sox. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

This is true. Lindor and Carrasco was wildly low. Clevinger, etc. 

I'd guess Bryant could and would be had for a Burger type return right now. 

That being said, if a vaccine rollout starts picking up steam (seems unlikely) and/or the season is delayed to the point where you can have fans in the stands for a large % of the season? Then I think Bryant return may pick up a bit. 

To me he is a perfect low-risk guy. 1 year is absolutely nothing and no risk and could very well be the difference between winning it all and not. 

Obviously all just talk like Bauer since not happening. We're the poor Sox. 

Bryant might get moved for a quarterpounder at this point.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know there have been some talks about the Cubs and their financial situation, but this was a pretty good read on some things that their leadership group isn't talking about in regards to their finances.  This was the wow moment for me.

https://www.cubsinsider.com/2021/01/21/kris-bryant-confirms-cubs-were-bryce-harpers-preferred-destination-so-why-didnt-it-happen/

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I know there have been some talks about the Cubs and their financial situation, but this was a pretty good read on some things that their leadership group isn't talking about in regards to their finances.  This was the wow moment for me.

https://www.cubsinsider.com/2021/01/21/kris-bryant-confirms-cubs-were-bryce-harpers-preferred-destination-so-why-didnt-it-happen/

speaking of...did we ever get the new sox tv deal number?

4 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

How is this possible?

How about Kris Bryant + Kyle Hendricks to the Blue Jays? It's being discussed: https://www.overtimeheroics.net/2021/01/25/2021-mlb-hot-stove-cubs-rumors/

That wouldn't be great for us... makes the Blue Jays significantly stronger.

Hell, I'd love for the White Sox to overcome what the Blue Jays are offering ... get Kris Bryant for OF/DH and get Hendricks as our last piece to the rotation. Dope.

Edited by iWiN4PreP

8 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

How about Kris Bryant + Kyle Hendricks to the Blue Jays? It's being discussed: https://www.overtimeheroics.net/2021/01/25/2021-mlb-hot-stove-cubs-rumors/

Hell, I'd love for the White Sox to overcome what the Blue Jays are offering ... get Kris Bryant for OF/DH and get Hendricks as our last piece to the rotation. Dope.

I don't know. If the Sox were going to add 35 million in salary, I don't think this is how I would spend it.  

11 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

I don't know. If the Sox were going to add 35 million in salary, I don't think this is how I would spend it.  

Bryant's contract is only for this year... Hendricks 12 mil this year (i think) and 14 mil the next 2 years is a good price.

But yeah, I totally get your point there. 

49 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Combining Hendricks with Bryant will make the return interesting.