If no new RF by Nontender deadline, should Sox tender Mazara?

YourWhatHurts

Should the Sox tender Mazara a contract as a backup plan if there's no new RF by the nontender deadline?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Sox tender Mazara a contract as a backup plan if there's no new RF by the nontender deadline?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, and also, TLR is a pathetic drunk
    • No, and I also still can't believe we hired drunk-ass TLR to be manager.

Also I forgot to add in the first post (was going to but then I started thinking about TLR again and forgot) that we can still DFA Mazara in ST can't we, without a substantial penalty, even if we tender him?

I know teams can do that, they can sign a guy and then cut him during ST and they only have to pay the league minimum or something.  Can't they do that with Mazara?  If so and they can, I think you have to hold onto Mazara just in case, then plan to trade him or cut him in ST if you get another RF.

Can Brantley really handle RF though?  I'm definitely worried about the defense out there.  Not that Nomar was all that great but I don't want to get worse.  I just think of Brantley as a LF/DH at this point.

I'd be interested in Starling Marte if the price is right.  It's the Marlins so he has to be on the block.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Also I forgot to add in the first post (was going to but then I started thinking about TLR again and forgot) that we can still DFA Mazara in ST can't we, without a substantial penalty, even if we tender him?

I know teams can do that, they can sign a guy and then cut him during ST and they only have to pay the league minimum or something.  Can't they do that with Mazara?  If so and they can, I think you have to hold onto Mazara just in case, then plan to trade him or cut him in ST if you get another RF.

I think it’s closer to 20% of their salary, but I could be wrong.

There is zero reason to tender him. He won't get anywhere near that from another team.. Offer him a couple of million if it appears you aren't going to get a big bat. If he turns it down, let him walk.  I am not against bringing him back, but he will have to take his market rate which isn't very high. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Then question: what do the Sox do if they nontender Nomar, then Springer and Joc both sign elsewhere?  Who else is out there?

The answer is not much, see below. That's why I voted tender and yes, and TLR is a pathetic drunk. But would much rather sign someone next week if the Sox are looking to cut ties with Mazara. Boyer is the only one talking to media these days since the Tony LaRussa hostage crises began.

Outfield Free Agents per MLB excluding players with a projected fWAR under 1.0.

Nomar Mazara 2021 Projection: (Jake Cave ahead of him ha ha). Also, 22 HRs (fWAR = ha ha ha ha)

Name   Team G PA AB H 2B 3B HR R RBI BB SO HBP SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS wOBA Fld BsR WAR
Jake Cave   Twins 122 470 426 109 25 5 17 60 62 34 141 6 3 2 .256 .318 .458 .775 .325 -6.9 -0.5 1.1
Nomar Mazara   White Sox 129 523 475 120 23 2 22 62 70 38 126 5 3 1 .253 .312 .448 .760 .318 -1.6 -0.1 1.0

Bold is 2021 fWAR projection

MLB Free Agent List

WAR Projections

Left Field: Michael Brantley (34 years old, 5.5 2020 MLB WAR) 2.0; Jackson Profar (28, 2.7) 1.9; Brett Gardner (37, 4.2) 1.1

Center Field: Jackie Bradley Jr. (31, 2.8) 1.4

Right Field: Adam Eaton (32, 1.9) 2.0; Hunter Renfroe (29, 1.5) 1.7; Yasiel Puig (30, 1.2) 1.6

From this list, don't like Brantley/Gardner (old) or Eaton (assclown).

Profar, Bradley Jr. and Renfroe are left among possibilities, Puig is a wild card gamble and can also be seen as disruptive. Bradley Jr. would be my primary target for his defense and ability to play CF.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

34 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Can Brantley really handle RF though?  I'm definitely worried about the defense out there.  Not that Nomar was all that great but I don't want to get worse.  I just think of Brantley as a LF/DH at this point.

I'd be interested in Starling Marte if the price is right.  It's the Marlins so he has to be on the block.

Bradley is still a plus fielder out there in the outfield. Uzr has him slightly positive in center

1 minute ago, Dominikk85 said:

Bradley is still a plus fielder out there in the outfield. Uzr has him slightly positive in center

Man I damn near went cross eyed looking at this post until I caught that I’m you responded to a post about Michael Brantley with Jackie Bradley jr. Brantley is very much not positive in center.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

I’m now completely confused who people are talking about.

Some people are confusing Michael Brantley and Jackie Bradley Jr. 

Hint: Don't use Brantley and Bradley, use Brantley and JBJ. People will know who is who there. 

Edited by Jack Parkman