Dodgers sign Bauer (3/102, opt-outs, 40-45-17)

Jose Abreu

8 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Whoa! I don't know about that man, but hey, I love your optimism. Reminds me of the Manny Machado winter. Jerry surprises us every couple of decades. We're overdue.

I was being a bit facetious with those odds, but I still believe we’re getting one premium free agent this offseason, with Springer or Bauer being the two main guys.  I think the Mets only sign one of these guys at max (along with Realmuto) and we get the other one.  Let’s just hope it doesn’t end up like the Machado winter where us and the Phillies basically each had a star in the bag, but we refused to be negotiate against ourselves and eventually a team came in last second and stole Manny from us.  For some reason I could the Giants being that team

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t want to derail this into another La Russa thread, but that’s not true at all.  A quick google search shows both Paul Sullivan & Rick Morrissey ripping him and the Sox for the DUI.  Those are the two biggest local news outlets and they both ripped him.  I’m not saying New York wouldn’t have been worse, just saying there has been a general disdain for the hiring amongst Chicago media and it has gotten worse after the DUI.

Your idea of a reaction and mine are vastly different.  It's already passed.  The spineless Chicago media has already forgotten about it. "General distain" is a great way of saying they rolled over and played dead to protect their access.

Sullivan half-assed is way through his write up. Oh noes, the Sox destroyed their good vibes. No call for a firing. No call for Jerry to do the right thing, just a winding justification on how the Sox will do nothing.

Morrissey did apparently take a good pass at it, that apparently I missed.

Also worth noting that neither have mentioned it since, and neither has the Sox as their primary beat.

28 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m just playing board hype man, but realistically I’d put us around 10%.  Had Harold not laughed at the idea I’d probably put us around 20% as I truly don’t see a ton of teams in the mix.  The Mets are a legit threat and the Angels are scary if they decide to pursue him, but other than them I don’t see a team more likely to land him than us unless these rumors we’re revving up to spend are completely false.

I hear ya.  I agree on the 10% chance.

• Like 1

1) I don't think the Sox are serious about Bauer

2) Bauer not shitting on TLR is just a $ign of hi$ per$onal growth and maturation proce$$ as it pertains to you-know-what.  When he was in arb that one year and tried to make a joke out of the oft-apparent senselessness of the process, etc. and asked for some amount that ended in some figure like 420,69.69 he lost his case and probably lost a raise that he was already looking at getting just by being stupid.  Even if there's no chance the Sox sign him, he should do well for his self to make for as many suitors as possible and put as much money on the table as possible.  I wouldn't read anything into comments he made.

3) I'd love the idea of (assuming we can't do Bauer + Springer) doing Bauer + Joc + Colome + reclamation project SP/RP all in FA, keep the pitching prospects, and look to develop them.  I think bringing in the new coach is going to be a great move, and putting guys like Keuchel, Giolito and Bauer around the young pitching is a great move.  I'm tired of seeing these deals where the Sox give up Stiever for a bag of balls and Cease for like 1/2 his value at best.  These are the kinds of prospects I'd like to see develop in such a scenario.  IMO this is really the best set of circumstances for the Sox.

Edited by YourWhatHurts

3 hours ago, Orlando said:

Between AL, Portillos and Cishek. The Sox are in on 94% of the league. Portillos has listed 56 or so players.

I don't believe any of them but I made a post a few weeks back that said it's very likely that the Sox Big Board could have over 100 players and that will expand after Dec. 2nd so listing 56 players in itself isn't indicative of nonsense. Did you actually take the time to count them ? As long as these guys keep getting clicks and mentions  that's probably the only thing most of them care about and for what reason I do not understand.

9 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

1) I don't think the Sox are serious about Bauer

2) Bauer not shitting on TLR is just a $ign of hi$ per$onal growth and maturation proce$$ as it pertains to you-know-what.  When he was in arb that one year and tried to make a joke out of the oft-apparent senselessness of the process, etc. and asked for some amount that ended in some figure like 420,69.69 he lost his case and probably lost a raise that he was already looking at getting just by being stupid.  Even if there's no chance the Sox sign him, he should do well for his self to make for as many suitors as possible and put as much money on the table as possible.  I wouldn't read anything into comments he made.

3) I'd love the idea of (assuming we can't do Bauer + Springer) doing Bauer + Joc + Colome + reclamation project SP/RP all in FA, keep the pitching prospects, and look to develop them.  I think bringing in the new coach is going to be a great move, and putting guys like Keuchel, Giolito and Bauer around the young pitching is a great move.  I'm tired of seeing these deals where the Sox give up Stiever for a bag of balls and Cease for like 1/2 his value at best.  These are the kinds of prospects I'd like to see develop in such a scenario.  IMO this is really the best set of circumstances for the Sox.

I guess at  least the political views of bauer and TLR are pretty similar:).

Not sure how he would get along with how TLR handles data. I think as long they let bauer do his thing with the training and preparation.

5 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

I guess at  least the political views of bauer and TLR are pretty similar:).

Not sure how he would get along with how TLR handles data. I think as long they let bauer do his thing with the training and preparation.

At the end of the day...it's about the money.

14 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

This seems to be exactly what is going on. I don't believe Bauer is an option for us, unfortunately. I think Sherman was just taking a wild guess because we could use a starting pitcher, and now people are going to run with it.

Guessing the same. The Sox love to tell everyone they are spending and stay in all the off-season rumors. It's the same most years.

Not sure why people think going after Springer is a slight of hand to get Bauer. Two things the Sox have zero history of doing.....spending big AAV on a starting pitcher, and winning a bidding war on the top free agents.

What they have a history of is coming in a close second and talking about how hard they tried and then going after less costly players.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

So in Trevor Bauer's latest vlog, he says he is speaking to fellow MLB players about their thoughts about the league and how they can make the game better. But all the players he spoke to were either ex-teammates, Adam Cimber, Jared Hughes (Mets), or Lucas Giolito. I'm sure some interesting things were shared on that last call

Edited by Jose Abreu

• Jose Abreu changed the title to Dodgers sign Bauer (3/102, opt-outs, 40-45-17)