Dodgers sign Bauer (3/102, opt-outs, 40-45-17)

Jose Abreu

2 hours ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

This may be true for bad teams.  I just looked at Bleacher report's "25 most hated players in baseball history"  In order...Ty Cobb--3 World Series,  Pete Rose-- 6 World Series, Alex Rodriguez--1 WS, Barry Bonds--1 WS, Roger Clemens--6 WS...so that's your top five biggest A**holes in baseball history and everyone went to the world series and combined they went to 17.  I'm pretty sure talent trumps attitude.  I remember when AJ came to the White Sox and the chorus sang that he destroys clubhouses and everyone hated him.   It's possible that the company picnic won't be as fun but hating Bauer's politics isn't going to stop Eloy from hitting 50 home runs or Robert's range in CF dropping.    

Except the names you mentioned are among the all time greats, many of whom played with dynasties.

Bauer is not in either category.

Also, the suggestion that bad clubhouse environment cannot impede performance is simply not true.

14 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Except the names you mentioned are among the all time greats, many of whom played with dynasties.

Bauer is not in either category.

Also, the suggestion that bad clubhouse environment cannot impede performance is simply not true.

This is always your way of arguing...you make some fluffy statement backed with nothing but your opinion...people quote you stats countering your opinion...you say the stats are meaningless...then offer no counter data...then typically you demean the person you are disagreeing with and say they are not addressing the argument.  Do you think maybe this is the reason SO MANY people on this board have called you a dick?  

Your position was "clubhouse cancers destroy teams" and so I merely googled most hated players in baseball and quoted you the top five in order.  AJ was not an all time great outside of being a great ass and yet he was instrumental in the Sox winning the WS....   Billy Martin's WS teams used to have fist fights in the dugouts.  Sure when you have a fringe team like the early 2010's White Sox a couple of bad personalities can make them look terrible but please show me some evidence in any sport (Isiah Thomas was supposedly a monster, Michael Jordan gave out no, no one likes Aaron Rogers).

If your revised position is "Bad players that are jerks don't help you win" or "great players that are jerks don't help bad teams win" I will happily agree.     

• Fire 3

2 hours ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

This is always your way of arguing...you make some fluffy statement backed with nothing but your opinion...people quote you stats countering your opinion...you say the stats are meaningless...then offer no counter data...then typically you demean the person you are disagreeing with and say they are not addressing the argument.  Do you think maybe this is the reason SO MANY people on this board have called you a dick?  

Your position was "clubhouse cancers destroy teams" and so I merely googled most hated players in baseball and quoted you the top five in order.  AJ was not an all time great outside of being a great ass and yet he was instrumental in the Sox winning the WS....   Billy Martin's WS teams used to have fist fights in the dugouts.  Sure when you have a fringe team like the early 2010's White Sox a couple of bad personalities can make them look terrible but please show me some evidence in any sport (Isiah Thomas was supposedly a monster, Michael Jordan gave out no, no one likes Aaron Rogers).

If your revised position is "Bad players that are jerks don't help you win" or "great players that are jerks don't help bad teams win" I will happily agree.     

That opening paragraph is a blanket statement. You generalize rather than actually analyze what I said. 

I made the point that Bauer is not on the category of guys like Ty fucking Cobb to be seen as worth putting up with these antics. You're putting Trevor Bauer in that category? You don't think there might be a difference of perception there? So I could compare Milton Bradley to Babe Ruth? Bauer did win a Cy Young but overall his career has not been remotely comparable.

As far as AJ goes, you can please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember seeing any major instances with him when he was with us.

We also now have TLR and Eaton back on the team. Throw Bauer in the mix and you really don't think there is a chance we might have clubhouse issues again? You are really going to deny the possibility at least?

You seem to want to make absolute statements and blanket statements and leave no wiggle room for differing circumstances and chastise me for actually weighing differences in individual scenarios (and not compare Bauer to Cobb, LOL). There's a problem with YOUR arguments, not mine.

You calling me raising relevant differences "fluff" shows a serious lack of basic comprehension. 

Trevor Bauer does not have the same baseball impact Ty Cobb did. Good lord.

Edited by RagahRagah

23 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

That opening paragraph is a blanket statement. You generalize rather than actually analyze what I said. 

I made the point that Bauer is not on the category of guys like Ty fucking Cobb to be seen as worth putting up with these antics. You're putting Trevor Bauer in that category? You don't think there might be a difference of perception there? So I could compare Milton Bradley to Babe Ruth? Bauer did win a Cy Young but overall his career has not been remotely comparable.

As far as AJ goes, you can please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember seeing any major instances with him when he was with us.

We also now have TLR and Eaton back on the team. Throw Bauer in the mix and you really don't think there is a chance we might have clubhouse issues again? You are really going to deny the possibility at least?

You seem to want to make absolute statements and blanket statements and leave no wiggle room for differing circumstances and chastise me for actually weighing differences in individual scenarios (and not compare Bauer to Cobb, LOL). There's a problem with YOUR arguments, not mine.

You calling me raising relevant differences "fluff" shows a serious lack of basic comprehension. 

Trevor Bauer does not have the same baseball impact Ty Cobb did. Good lord.

This is the fucking point that everyone is trying to make to you but you are too busy making a big deal about a ball being thrown over the fence.  AJ CAME IN KNOWN AS AN ASSHOLE AND THE SOX WON WITH HIM AND IT WAS FINE  AND WE ALL LOVED HIM BECAUSE HE WAS OUR ASSHOLE.

• Fire 3

46 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

This is the fucking point that everyone is trying to make to you but you are too busy making a big deal about a ball being thrown over the fence.  AJ CAME IN KNOWN AS AN ASSHOLE AND THE SOX WON WITH HIM AND IT WAS FINE  AND WE ALL LOVED HIM BECAUSE HE WAS OUR ASSHOLE.

And basically every member of the White Sox acknowledged just how big of an asshole A.J. was while with us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

BOOM

I also want to point out that Milton Bradley is an epically terrible name to throw in this discussion.  That man was a terrible person all around,  not a troll.  He was a domestic abuser, could not control his temper, tried to fight everyone.  Not even close to the same thing

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

I dont think TLR would mind since he likes guys with "edge" and TA seems to get along real well with Bauer too on social media. The real issue is there is no way JR will pay for him, not even on a short term deal. 

If they are pinching pennies in the OF just to afford a 13m closer, there is no way they are gonna pay 30+m for a pitcher even if for only 1-2 years. 

12 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I dont think TLR would mind since he likes guys with "edge" and TA seems to get along real well with Bauer too on social media. The real issue is there is no way JR will pay for him, not even on a short term deal. 

If they are pinching pennies in the OF just to afford a 13m closer, there is no way they are gonna pay 30+m for a pitcher even if for only 1-2 years. 

I understand that, I'm not holding out hope that he is coming to the Sox.  I'm just saying that his strange personality isn't nearly as bad as advertised.  The one time i can say he really bothered me is when he wouldn't leave that girl alone when she talked shit to him on Twitter and didn't think he would respond.  Since then he said he would be more responsible on Twitter and gave a pseudo apology, but I think it should have been more.  That's it.  The ball throwing thing was funny to me, but I get there is old school thinking that can't handle that sort of outburst. 

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

And basically every member of the White Sox acknowledged just how big of an asshole A.J. was while with us.

AJ was an ass but it was just personality not a change in the way others played the game. If Bauer still insists on pitching every 4th day, it will fundamentally change the way the entire pitching staff prepares and plays. 

So more than his personality, including be the way he wants to play the game that could hurt his team.

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

AJ was an ass but it was just personality not a change in the way others played the game. If Bauer still insists on pitching every 4th day, it will fundamentally change the way the entire pitching staff prepares and plays. 

So more than his personality, including be the way he wants to play the game that could hurt his team.

I don't think Bauer could force that on any team.  He has to know in the back of his mind that his arm probably couldn't withstand that usage.

I feel like that is a thought that came from the same place as "I'm gonna only sign one year contracts from now on because I don't like the negotiation part"

3 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

And yet that is still not answering the question that you just bolded. I think you need to read it again.

And again, people just want to ignore the fact that I'm trying to explain that denying these things can and do have effects on teams is ludicrous. Simply stating one contrary example or two doesn't negate that point.

Edited by RagahRagah

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

I don't think Bauer could force that on any team.  He has to know in the back of his mind that his arm probably couldn't withstand that usage.

I feel like that is a thought that came from the same place as "I'm gonna only sign one year contracts from now on because I don't like the negotiation part"

Could be. I haven't followed it lately but at the beginning he insisted that was one of the criteria for signing. 

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

I don’t think a single team would allow him to pitch every 4th day, so while he might want that I don’t think there is a chance in hell he gets it.

2 hours ago, RagahRagah said:

And yet that is still not answering the question that you just bolded. I think you need to read it again.

And again, people just want to ignore the fact that I'm trying to explain that denying these things can and do have effects on teams is ludicrous. Simply stating one contrary example or two doesn't negate that point.

You are the WORST...No one ever made the argument that Bauer is as good as Ty Cobb...except you.   I gave half a dozen examples of dicks that won WS from AJ to Ty Cobb to Aaron Rogers to Isiah Thomas.   You have offered ZERO counter examples.  I think it would not be hard to find one ass in every group of 25 professional athletes so the idea that signing Bauer and his Cy Young award would hurt the team because...chemistry...is just idiotic.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Capital G said:

There were none. Plenty, like the nut punch, prior to us. 

Thank you. I love when people totally fail to answer a simple questions and then become aggressive and/or vitriolic.

Edited by RagahRagah

3 hours ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

You are the WORST...No one ever made the argument that Bauer is as good as Ty Cobb...except you.   I gave half a dozen examples of dicks that won WS from AJ to Ty Cobb to Aaron Rogers to Isiah Thomas.   You have offered ZERO counter examples.  I think it would not be hard to find one ass in every group of 25 professional athletes so the idea that signing Bauer and his Cy Young award would hurt the team because...chemistry...is just idiotic.  

The worst? The worst what? We're gonna add pointless hyperbole for theatrical effect to compensate for poor arguments now?

You listed Ty Cobb and other HOFs who had personality quirks to defend Bauer. If you can't understand the difference between them and Bauer I can't help you. Winning tends to have a slightly different effect than not winning and even then, it's a team sport.

You keep presenting black and white arguments and ignoring key differences in your comparisons while constantly insulting my intelligence. You really need to tone it down.

Bauer and his Cy Young =/= Ty freaking Cobb. You are listing HOFs to defend Bauer yet in the same breath seemingly can't understand why I'm analyzing your very own comparison as if you never made it.. Not sure where the disconnect and density comes from. 

Saying bad behavior and bad attitudes can hurt chemistry and affect a team negatively isn't idiotic, it's common fucking sense.

Edited by RagahRagah
  • Haha 1

• Jose Abreu changed the title to Dodgers sign Bauer (3/102, opt-outs, 40-45-17)