Dodgers sign Bauer (3/102, opt-outs, 40-45-17)

Jose Abreu

10 minutes ago, bmags said:

i take it back. Wow. Amazing. Why aren’t all agents making parody State Farm commercials

I want to see Scott Boras making videos like this. Why can't agents like Boras have the type of relationship with their clients that Luba and Bauer have?

1 hour ago, SoxBlanco said:

Maybe we’ll get lucky and land Bauer the same way that San Diego landed Machado. Not interested for most of the offseason because he’s out of our price range, but then when nobody else is really willing to pay, we swoop in and get him for much less than we originally thought he’d get. 

(Maybe a 1% chance 🤷)

The Padres are spending money. 

15 hours ago, bmags said:

i take it back. Wow. Amazing. Why aren’t all agents making parody State Farm commercials

I watched this and got absolutely nothing out of it.  She starts off talking about correction bad information and offering a platform to put the players story out there, and they go sledding.  what?

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Watch out. @kwill is going to come after yo ass.

FWIW, I think it's cool that she's trying to break into a male-dominated business as a young woman. I think the people on Twitter saying she's going to cost Bauer a ton of money cause she doesn't know what she's doing is pretty sexist. Do I think that some of the stuff they're getting involved in on social is counter-productive? Perhaps. Bauer was doing that shit on his own anyhow. But I also doubt teams would not pay a guy as talented as Bauer just because he and his agent don't act like the rest of the agents in baseball. 

I do find it weird that they vlog all day and are clearly more than just friends. I'm not sure how many players would admit to having their significant other/girlfriend as their agent. But then again, Bauer is just weird like that. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, chw42 said:

FWIW, I think it's cool that she's trying to break into a male-dominated business as a young woman. I think the people on Twitter saying she's going to cost Bauer a ton of money cause she doesn't know what she's doing is pretty sexist. Do I think that some of the stuff they're getting involved in on social is counter-productive? Perhaps. Bauer was doing that shit on his own anyhow. But I also doubt teams would not pay a guy as talented as Bauer just because he and his agent don't act like the rest of the agents in baseball. 

I do find it weird that they vlog all day and are clearly more than just friends. I'm not sure how many players would admit to having their significant other/girlfriend as their agent. But then again, Bauer is just weird like that. 

Then again, it's right out of the plot of Major League 2. 

Bauer definitely got a bit better on social media. It is good that he mostly stopped posting about politics.

As for his agent she is certainly a bit unorthodox but I think that is mostly for entertainment purposes and to gain followers. 

But that doesn't mean she is bad at her job, I don't think she acts like that in a closed room with a GM. We will see what kind of contract he gets.

I'm having a bit of difficulty envisioning too much of a market for Bauer.    I would think Carrasco takes the Mets out.  Phillies?  Braves?  Marlins?  Don't think so.  The Nats make big moves, and he may fit, but they already have a super expensive rotation.  But maybe.  You can pretty much remove any NL Central team (Cards maybe?  Haven't heard anything but maybe?).  The NL West?  Can't see Colorado being a fit.  SD?  I think they've made their rotation upgrades.  Dodgers?  They seem to be looking in other directions.  Giants?  That's a possibility.  Arizona?  I doubt it.

Yanks?  Haven't heard much, and I believe Bauer and Cole hate each other.Boston?  He doesn't make a ton of sense for them.  Rays?  Yeah right.  Baltimore?  Ha!  Toronto, seems to be a fit, but they seem more focused on Springer.  Oakland?  No way.  Seattle?  He doesn't seem to fit their timeline.  Texas?  Again, they will make big moves, but he doesn't seem to fit their timeline.  Houston?  I can see a fit, but who knows if they are ready to spend like that, and he was really critical of them so maybe some sour grapes as well.  The Angels look like a good fit, but they've been gun-shy and have some really big contracts already.  

I think you can rule out the entire AL Central (except maybe the Sox, for the sake of this post anyways). 

So as potential suitors I would say he has:

Nats, Cards, Giants, Angels, Jays and maybe for pretend, the Sox.  

Now, I may be completely off, and who knows if these teams are really interested, and maybe the Yanks, BoSox or Dodgers really are interested, and that would change everything.  Of those, I don't even think the Nats are really in play.  I'd guess the Giants are probably the best chance for a big payday.  Then the Jays.  The Angels make sense, but who knows.  

I guess what I'm driving at is, I don't think Bauer has a huge payday in front of him, and maybe the Sox could have a bit of a bargain available if they are sharp and willing.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

I'm having a bit of difficulty envisioning too much of a market for Bauer.    I would think Carrasco takes the Mets out.  Phillies?  Braves?  Marlins?  Don't think so.  The Nats make big moves, and he may fit, but they already have a super expensive rotation.  But maybe.  You can pretty much remove any NL Central team (Cards maybe?  Haven't heard anything but maybe?).  The NL West?  Can't see Colorado being a fit.  SD?  I think they've made their rotation upgrades.  Dodgers?  They seem to be looking in other directions.  Giants?  That's a possibility.  Arizona?  I doubt it.

Yanks?  Haven't heard much, and I believe Bauer and Cole hate each other.Boston?  He doesn't make a ton of sense for them.  Rays?  Yeah right.  Baltimore?  Ha!  Toronto, seems to be a fit, but they seem more focused on Springer.  Oakland?  No way.  Seattle?  He doesn't seem to fit their timeline.  Texas?  Again, they will make big moves, but he doesn't seem to fit their timeline.  Houston?  I can see a fit, but who knows if they are ready to spend like that, and he was really critical of them so maybe some sour grapes as well.  The Angels look like a good fit, but they've been gun-shy and have some really big contracts already.  

I think you can rule out the entire AL Central (except maybe the Sox, for the sake of this post anyways). 

Now, I may be completely off, and who knows if these teams are really interested, and maybe the Yanks, BoSox or Dodgers really are interested, and that would change everything.  Of those, I don't even think the Nats are really in play.  I'd guess the Giants are probably the best chance for a big payday.  Then the Jays.  The Angels make sense, but who knows.  

I guess what I'm driving at is, I don't think Bauer has a huge payday in front of him, and maybe the Sox could have a bit of a bargain available if they are sharp and willing.  

No way nats, not with scherzer, strasburg, corbin.

angels/jays is my guess.

31 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Good analysis but to add:

Cards are crying poor all offseason. Cross them off.

Nats, I guess you can't cross them off, but their really looking for help elsewhere outside of their SP. 

Giants/Angels/Jays seem like the ticket. Angels are seriously problematic - they desperately need SP and have money. I think thats where he ends up.

Giants would be kinda silly for buying Bauer, they need way too much help.

I doubt Bauer goes to Toronto.

55 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Good analysis but to add:

Cards are crying poor all offseason. Cross them off.

Nats, I guess you can't cross them off, but their really looking for help elsewhere outside of their SP. 

Giants/Angels/Jays seem like the ticket. Angels are seriously problematic - they desperately need SP and have money. I think thats where he ends up.

Giants would be kinda silly for buying Bauer, they need way too much help.

I doubt Bauer goes to Toronto.

This is it, right, there isn't really anyone that makes perfect sense for him.  On paper, and with another owner, the Sox are probably the best fit.

27 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Scherzer is off the books after this year. It actually makes perfect sense. I would put them as the dark horse for sure.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.  With Scherzer possibly gone after next season, they could keep a great rotation, and to some degree counter the punch the Mets just threw.

17 hours ago, chw42 said:

They definitely had a sexual relationship at some point. 

Who spends new year's weekend in a ski resort with their agent?

I know this is just a joke... 

but my cousin was a prominent nhl player and he has spent chunks of off-season time with his agent on numerous occasions. I don’t think it is that rare. 

Edited by Blackout Friday
Clarity

12 hours ago, poppysox said:

I wouldn't be shocked if we were a late entry into the Bauer bidding.  The market would appear to be much less than at first expected.

It's possible I'm kind of surprised no one has posted this since it has some interesting info as fr as the type of contract Bauer might be looking for. It's from his agent. Posted on Twitter 1/5/2021.

Bauer.jpg

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

• Jose Abreu changed the title to Dodgers sign Bauer (3/102, opt-outs, 40-45-17)