Dodgers sign Bauer (3/102, opt-outs, 40-45-17)

Jose Abreu

4 minutes ago, Quin said:

hi8is isn't @NotTrevor.

Unless you're saying that both you and hi8is are both named Trevor, in which case I learned something.

Hi8is name is Trevor therefore the other Trevor not named Bauer. And true a story bro, hi8is played against and hit against Bauer  if I am remembering the post right.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

hi8is played against and hit against Bauer

Shields. 

It’s possible I worked with Bauer before and almost got into a fight with him. Unless there is another Trevor Bauer from the same town. 😆

If there aren't teams willing to pay the luxury tax, Bauer's price is heading more toward $25 million.  Besides Toronto on a spending spree, most of the other big money players really don't have more than that right now unless they go into tax territory.  Is this a game by the Sox to let prices get driven up, then dive in?  OK it isn't but it's nice to think they could possibly think that way..........

9 minutes ago, Wisebri224 said:

If there aren't teams willing to pay the luxury tax, Bauer's price is heading more toward $25 million.  Besides Toronto on a spending spree, most of the other big money players really don't have more than that right now unless they go into tax territory.  Is this a game by the Sox to let prices get driven up, then dive in?  OK it isn't but it's nice to think they could possibly think that way..........

If Bauer can't get a high dollar amount per year, the solution is to talk about a longer deal. The same deal Springer just got is a fairly cheap deal for him.

image.png

link

So where does Bauer go?

Dodgers have checked in on Bryant and Semien and could bring back Turner, their rotation is set and they're up against the threshold

Yankees are pushing up against the threshold and will likely bring back Tanaka.

Mets have the space and money but their rotation is pretty set with the addition of Lucchesi. Matz and Lucchesi will battle it out for #5. deGrom, Carrasco, Stroman, Peterson, Syndergaad & Matz/Lucchesi.

Angels have the money but would go over with their recent signing of Quintana.

Nats are in a similar situation to the mets except they've got Ross and Fedde as their #5

Red Sox are not spending money or competing in the AL East this season.

Astros, I can't see Bauer wanting to goto Houston based off his videos and the Astros are pretty set at SP as well with Verlander coming back.

Padres are stacked.

White sox have the need and money but will JR loosen the purse strings to put them over the top?

Rockies are stuck in a quagmire and doesn't come close to what Bauer has publicly stated he wants.

Phillies make sense from a $ and market stand point but they're looking up in the east and their core isn't great.

Giants have done a nice job of remaking their rotation but are looking up at the dodgers and padres. 

Cards and Reds are in a similar situation where their division is up for grabs.

Braves could be a landing spot, but they're 6 deep in the rotation and need to replace Ozuna & Duvall's production.

Jays could be a fit even with their spending spree on Springer & Brantley, their rotation needs a lot of work.

Twins could be a fit as well but they're going to need to spend on production at DH and BP as Rogers and Duffey are the only assets back there.

5 minutes ago, beautox said:

image.png

link

So where does Bauer go?

Dodgers have checked in on Bryant and Semien and could bring back Turner, their rotation is set and they're up against the threshold

Mets have the space and money but their rotation is pretty set with the addition of Lucchesi. Matz and Lucchesi will battle it out for #5. deGrom, Carrasco, Stroman, Peterson, Syndergaad & Matz/Lucchesi.

Nats are in a similar situation to the mets except they've got Ross and Fedde as their #5

Astros, I can't see Bauer wanting to goto Houston based off his videos and the Astros are pretty set at SP as well with Verlander coming back.

Padres are stacked.

White sox have the need and money but will JR loosen the purse strings to put them over the top?

Rockies are stuck in a quagmire and doesn't come close to what Bauer has publicly stated he wants.

Phillies make sense from a $ and market stand point but they're looking up in the east and their core isn't great.

Giants have done a nice job of remaking their rotation but are looking up at the dodgers and padres. 

Braves could be a landing spot, but they're 6 deep in the rotation and need to replace Ozuna & Duvall's production.

Jays could be a fit even with their spending spree on Springer & Brantley, their rotation needs a lot of work.

Twins could be a fit as well but they're going to need to spend on production at DH and BP as Rogers and Duffey are the only assets back there.

This whole summary makes it clear the Sox are the best fit. Offer the deal Springer got and keep the prospects.

4 minutes ago, beautox said:

image.png

link

So where does Bauer go?

Padres are stacked.

I think the Giants, Angels,  and Yankees are still the best options. There's no reason why those teams can't go into Tax territory if they want to, and there's clear pitching needs for LAA and NY.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I think the Giants, Angels,  and Yankees are still the best options. There's no reason why those teams can't go into Tax territory if they want to, and there's clear pitching needs for LAA and NY.

I don't disagree I just don't see the yankees paying that additional premium for Bauer and going into the tax territory when ownership has been preaching about getting under the threshold and there are going to be significant raises coming up and down that roster. The angels might stick their toe over the line I could see that and the west appears to be wide open. The giants are not going to spend that money on Bauer when they're facing down the Padres and Dodgers, Gausman picking up the QO and their recent signing of Wood points to a no for me.

It seems like the Yankees are loathe to get into tax territory, even after resetting their penalty last year. They could but I don't think it's likely.

Giants, Jays, Twins, Angels or Braves seem like the obvious fits but I can't see the Twins or Braves committing that kinda scratch to one player.

5 minutes ago, daggins said:

It seems like the Yankees are loathe to get into tax territory, even after resetting their penalty last year. They could but I don't think it's likely.

Giants, Jays, Twins, Angels or Braves seem like the obvious fits but I can't see the Twins or Braves committing that kinda scratch to one player.

When it comes down to it, I think it's dumb for the Yankees to spend $200 million, have guys like Cole, Stanton, and Judge, and leave that hole in their rotation unnecessarily.

15 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

When it comes down to it, I think it's dumb for the Yankees to spend $200 million, have guys like Cole, Stanton, and Judge, and leave that hole in their rotation unnecessarily.

I agree with you, but I feel like Steinbrenner don't :huh

1 hour ago, daggins said:

And the Giants aren't winning anything anytime soon, so you can rule them out, per Bauer's desire to win. Soo...Angels and Jays then?

31 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

And the Giants aren't winning anything anytime soon, so you can rule them out, per Bauer's desire to win. Soo...Angels and Jays then?

The Giants haven't been bad the last couple years, they were 29-31 last year. They aren't loaded like their division rivals, but with a couple signings (Bauer and a bat) they could easily make a run at one of those wild cards. If there's an extra round next year, they could certainly make a playoff appearance, and then with Bauer and Gausmann in the rotation and a veteran lineup...?

40 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The Giants haven't been bad the last couple years, they were 29-31 last year. They aren't loaded like their division rivals, but with a couple signings (Bauer and a bat) they could easily make a run at one of those wild cards. If there's an extra round next year, they could certainly make a playoff appearance, and then with Bauer and Gausmann in the rotation and a veteran lineup...?

Hmm..interesting. I suppose they could take a shot at that 2nd wild card (I think its a pretty safe bet that either San Diego or LA will take the 1st wildcard), but I think there's too much talent in the NL East for one of them not to get the 2nd spot. You'd think one of the Mets, Nats, and Braves (and dare I mention Miami who made the playoffs in 2020) would get the 2nd wild card over the Giants. 

1 minute ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Hmm..interesting. I suppose they could take a shot at that 2nd wild card (I think its a pretty safe bet that either San Diego or LA will take the 1st wildcard), but I think there's too much talent in the NL East for one of them not to get the 2nd spot. You'd think one of the Mets, Nats, and Braves (and dare I mention Miami who made the playoffs in 2020) would get the 2nd wild card over the Giants. 

The NL East might also be in the boat where they beat up on each other, letting someone else sneak in. But who knows.

If there's an 8 team playoff again, which let's just be honest they'll try to find a way to make that work if they can, the Giants would have a very good chance if they added some pieces.

49 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If the white Sox were two games under .500 last season and shared the division with the dodgers and Padres, you believe that Bauer and a bat would be something you would consider a smart investment?  

I could only imagine the SF fan version of Balta melting the fuck down if they signed Bauer and....what bat is even available that could put them in contention for that third wild card?  Ozuna? 

this was the lineup the ran out there at the end of the season last year, who makes them a contender?  If Bauer wants to go there because he is gonna get paid handsomely, sure, but I don't think that team is poised to take a wild card spot when they have 38 games against the Padres and Dodgers every season.

76F74A39-DA40-450D-856E-D5552EA7B428.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/18/2021 at 3:49 PM, NotTrevor said:

Lots of love for Trevor Bauer in this thread. Why should he want to play for the Chicago White Sox?

Seeing as how this is likely Trevor Bauer and he is likely to make some YouTube video about going to various fan forums and making posts like this, here are some reasons:

1) From the fans perspective, the team appears to have a lot of fun playing the game of baseball. 
2) I would hope that any offers received from CWS are offers that are fair and reasonable to you. If so, that is a reason. 
3) Hungry, "prove it" fanbase. We will come watch you if you don't waste our time. 
4) Collaboration vids with TA7
5) Chicago is a cool city, obviously a lot of good food. 
6) You already know this, but The Rate is actually a really cool/nice park and massively underrated due to how crappy it looked when it was first built and because it's in the same city as Wrigley.
7) Division is competitive, even if Twins make no upgrades they will STILL be a pain. Us fans are licking our chops to keep them in 2nd/3rd place. You would be a great help to this. 
😎 As annoying as Minnesota and Cleveland might be, the road to divisional victory is not insanely competitive and you can expect to make the playoffs in some fashion because the team around you is pretty good too. 
9) Chance to stick it to your old team (if that is something that interests you)
10) If you sign here, we can keep Nick Madrigal and Codi Heuer. I guess if you don't sign here, that doesn't even matter to you. But if you do sign here, it is likely that the bullpen is better and that you have a 2B hitting .360 in your teams lineup.
11) This is a cool one.... a chance to help the White Sox earn a fairer share of Chicago baseball fanship. The Cubs have dominated this town for a long time, but now they are alienating their fanbase. You will never "convert" Cubs fans to Sox fans, but there are always generations of new fans to earn. Win a few generations and all of a sudden it's a Sox city again. Obviously, you won't be around long enough to win a few generations, but you can help get that ball rolling. 

(If you are not Trevor Bauer, well played)

• Jose Abreu changed the title to Dodgers sign Bauer (3/102, opt-outs, 40-45-17)