Dodgers sign Bauer (3/102, opt-outs, 40-45-17)

Jose Abreu

10 minutes ago, tray said:

Beyond money, the fact is that Bauer has had issues with teammates and organizations that he has played for in the past. He is a lone wolf, not a team player.

I never liked the guy and am glad he is not on the White Sox. Meanwhile,  I think we will all enjoy seeing pitchers  compete for the 4th and 5th starter positions. 

Much more interesting than handing it to someone, IMO.

And this is why Jerry has no incentive to be as competitive as possible

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

This is blind optimism at its finest.

You're not necessarily wrong about your assessment, but you're ignoring that we have no depth and some big time questions marks. We're really not going into any better a situation with our starting pitching and since closer was lights out last year we really aren't making a needle move on that position this year. 

True...but you are ignoring the season is a couple of months away.  As the saying goes..."it ain't over til the fat lady sings."

People miss the point of why this is a big miss. 

a) this is and was the best match in terms of a top tier pitcher willing to play within Jerry's rules of no more than 4 year contracts. 

b) this completely matched the "all-in" period and "the money will be spent" period. 

b 2.0) The sox try and mostly have successfully tricked fans into believing the money was spent on the Eloy and Robert, etc. extensions. It's really just a crock of shit. Those guys were going to get those numbers in arbitration no matter what. So what we did was just give them a bit more * guaranteed. They took a haircut to secure the bag. But to act like "money was spent" is ludicrous. Keuchel .... Grandal .... Hendriks .... that's money being spent. I count like $70mm more to be spent to just hit the one Machado contract. But I digress, it's Jerry selling a load of crapola

c) pitching wins championships. This has less with the Sox even acquiring him. It's the fact it just got that much harder to win against the Padres or Dodgers in the WS. Those rotations are 5-6 deep with young firepower in the wings waiting to mow you down for an inning or two at a time in high leverage. We are 3 deep with young firepower. 

It's a loss not to sign him. Winning builds teams. Trevor Bauer since he speaks his mind and is active on social media gets spun as this headcase. It's this narrative that has played out forever "shut up and play" we don't want to hear you, just play the game. You're making millions. You're opinion doesn't count. Meanwhile we sit here like armchair GM's on a message board playing make believe. 

in the end, this signing is just as bad as if the yanks, twins, rays, etc. signed him. we have to beat a team in the world series to win the thing .. it just got harder. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/30/2020 at 1:06 PM, BrianAnderson said:

As many have said its all moot, but it's also quiet this time of year and we're bored so we just keep repeating the same things over and over. So why not? haha. 

Bauer is a smart dude, especially when you take out some time to watch his youtube stuff. Heyman is kind of old man media on Twitter at times - gives me Steve Stone vibes at times, so i think you have to similar personalities that just clash. That being said the internet just seems to look for stories -- that exchange wasn't much of anything. Pretty sure it's just banter back and forth. Regardless of any of that I'd welcome him whole heartedly to the team. he's a guy that wants to win and is good at his job. Certainly better than most. Also he's one of almost none that is willing to accept a shorter term deal AND is actually pushing to pitch every 4th game. Shit, if a Cy Young winner wants to go out for 250 ip and is okay taking a 3 year deal? I have no problem with that. think about what you're paying per inning for that. 

Deals I'm fine with 

1yr, 45mm, 2yr 85mm, 3yr 120mm, 4yr 135mm, 5yr 150mm, 6yr 160mm. Sliding scale.

I thought I had made a prediction close to this ... didnt realize i shoulda been his agent. 

Reality he signed a two year deal because that third year is so cheap that unless he's hurt he's opting out of LA. 

I still woulda done any of those deals in bold. 

12 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

a) this is and was the best match in terms of a top tier pitcher willing to play within Jerry's rules of no more than 4 year contracts. 

b) this completely matched the "all-in" period and "the money will be spent" period. 

b 2.0) The sox try and mostly have successfully tricked fans into believing the money was spent on the Eloy and Robert, etc. extensions. It's really just a crock of shit. Those guys were going to get those numbers in arbitration no matter what. So what we did was just give them a bit more * guaranteed. They took a haircut to secure the bag. But to act like "money was spent" is ludicrous. Keuchel .... Grandal .... Hendriks .... that's money being spent. I count like $70mm more to be spent to just hit the one Machado contract. But I digress, it's Jerry selling a load of crapola

c) pitching wins championships. This has less with the Sox even acquiring him. It's the fact it just got that much harder to win against the Padres or Dodgers in the WS. Those rotations are 5-6 deep with young firepower in the wings waiting to mow you down for an inning or two at a time in high leverage. We are 3 deep with young firepower. 

It's a loss not to sign him. Winning builds teams. Trevor Bauer since he speaks his mind and is active on social media gets spun as this headcase. It's this narrative that has played out forever "shut up and play" we don't want to hear you, just play the game. You're making millions. You're opinion doesn't count. Meanwhile we sit here like armchair GM's on a message board playing make believe. 

in the end, this signing is just as bad as if the yanks, twins, rays, etc. signed him. we have to beat a team in the world series to win the thing .. it just got harder. 

100 % agree and although some do miss the point , I don't think most of us do.

However you might not see this since you are one of 2 people to block me. I don't even remember why but i was never blocked by anyone in 15 years but 2 in the last year. Sure arguments get heated some time but I almost never call anyone names or say their opinion is dumb or stupid or words i don't like said to me. Do unto others and all that.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

This is a masterpiece that should be framed.

15 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

100 % agree and although some do miss the point , I don't think most of us do.

However you might not see this since you are one of 2 people to block me. I don't even remember why but i was never blocked by anyone in 15 years but 2 in the last year. Sure arguments get heated some time but I almost never call anyone names or say their opinion is dumb or stupid or words i don't like said to me. Do unto others and all that.

Sorry about that! haha. Took you off. Now it's just Peavy44.  Who knows - sometimes these boards get heated. Have to remember that we're all playing make believe passing time just wanting to see winning Sox baseball. 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Sorry about that! haha. Took you off. Now it's just Peavy44.  Who knows - sometimes these boards get heated. Have to remember that we're all playing make believe passing time just wanting to see winning Sox baseball. 

It's all good and I am a firm believer in this and often think it's my usual perspective.

I think that anybody who spends the time to learn about anything always comes off as pretty moderate and boring because they tend to come to a balanced perspective. the more you learn, the more confusing things are so that the more, almost more conservative in the presentation of the facts one is.

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It's all good and I am a firm believer in this and often think it's my usual perspective.

I think that anybody who spends the time to learn about anything always comes off as pretty moderate and boring because they tend to come to a balanced perspective. the more you learn, the more confusing things are so that the more, almost more conservative in the presentation of the facts one is.

Chamath quotes! 

56 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Yes it was a good fit, especially since the contract would have been over before the core gets expensive.

However jerry also never was going to pay 40m AAV even for just two years 

I hope the sox spend a bit more but I don't think you can blame him for not spending one of the highest AAVs ever.

29 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

Yes it was a good fit, especially since the contract would have been over before the core gets expensive.

However jerry also never was going to pay 40m AAV even for just two years 

I hope the sox spend a bit more but I don't think you can blame him for not spending one of the highest AAVs ever.

Definitely can't blame him.  Bauer isn't a 40mm AAV guy, he's more in line between Zach Wheeler and .... Chris Sale? But those guys also took long contracts. Bauer probably could've been a 6/160-175mm type guy.  

But same time, pitchers like Bauer and his mentality don't happen .... like ever. Most guys want to lock in that security, while he wants to bet on himself and lock in like $300mm over 6-7 years. He's one injury away from being Garret Richards and taking $8-10mm deals on a year to year basis. 

I still think there weren't many better fits ever created for this team. Adding a 4th horsemen to that rotation would have been epic. And based on the duration would've allowed guys like Cease and Kopech and Crochet to still flourish. Adding a Bauer takes us out of the Rays/Twins/A's/Blue Jays/Mets/Cardinals/Nationals ... and personally Yankees in my opinion category and puts us in the Padres/Dodgers category. Adding someone like Sonny Gray midseason or having Cease/Kopech/Crochet become reliable can also do that, so it's not the worst thing not getting Bauer, but definitely filled a hole without having to commit long term capital. 

18 hours ago, tray said:

Our Ace  Gio is signed for 4.15 Mil.

It would only cause problems now and in the future if they  signed Bauer for 35 Million a year.

Plus, Bauer is an @hole which is hard to quantify.

So it would become a problem when we no longer have Bauer, thus freeing up money for Giolito?

Meaning this would be the perfect time to add Bauer?

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Definitely can't blame him.  Bauer isn't a 40mm AAV guy, he's more in line between Zach Wheeler and .... Chris Sale? But those guys also took long contracts. Bauer probably could've been a 6/160-175mm type guy.  

But same time, pitchers like Bauer and his mentality don't happen .... like ever. Most guys want to lock in that security, while he wants to bet on himself and lock in like $300mm over 6-7 years. He's one injury away from being Garret Richards and taking $8-10mm deals on a year to year basis. 

I still think there weren't many better fits ever created for this team. Adding a 4th horsemen to that rotation would have been epic. And based on the duration would've allowed guys like Cease and Kopech and Crochet to still flourish. Adding a Bauer takes us out of the Rays/Twins/A's/Blue Jays/Mets/Cardinals/Nationals ... and personally Yankees in my opinion category and puts us in the Padres/Dodgers category. Adding someone like Sonny Gray midseason or having Cease/Kopech/Crochet become reliable can also do that, so it's not the worst thing not getting Bauer, but definitely filled a hole without having to commit long term capital. 

Yeah I think he wants to do that late career  michael jordan thing where would just sign one year contracts. But of course the injury risk in pitching is much higher.

But of course bauer already has made like 35m and is almost guaranteed that 100m plus he can now do that circus several times and hype up his "brand"

Trevor Bauer addressed Mets fans on Sunday to apologize for the merchandise glitch on his website that led people to believe he was signing with the Mets shortly before he agreed to a deal with the Dodgers.

"Mets fans, I owe you an explanation and apology," Bauer posted in a Twitter thread. "My intention was never to mislead your fan base, nor was it to troll you in any way."

On Friday, a link for Mets merchandise went live on Bauer's Linktree page on Instagram, and a page for a Bauer-signed Mets hat giveaway went live on his website, TrevorBauer.com. Fans who signed up for the cap giveaway received an email saying "I can't wait to take the mound in New York!"

The links and screenshots of the Bauer Mets cap and giveaway email spread quickly on social media, with speculation swirling that the reigning National League Cy Young Award winner and top free-agent starting pitcher was on the verge of signing with New York. Instead, Bauer announced just hours later that he was joining the Dodgers.

Bauer attempted to clear the air in Sunday's Twitter thread, explaining that the merchandise pages and links were prepared for multiple teams in advance and that none were supposed to go live until Bauer had announced his decision.

"It was an embarrassing and emotional moment for me," Bauer said in the thread.

This seems to be why Nightengale probably concluded the Mets had signed him.

https://www.mlb.com/news/trevor-bauer-apologizes-to-mets-fans

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Still crazy to me that Jerry didn't even entertain this. It's so up his alley in terms of years given to pitching. I'll be sad about this one for a while. It had it all - short deal, during our window & arch rival to Jerry making bid (Cohen). Woulda allowed our team to thrive this year, let Lynn walk next year, Kopech/Crochet take over that role, let Bauer walk the next year, both of those guys now are the "ace". It was just so perfect - to not even entertain it - to not even reach out? makes me sad as a sox fan.

On 2/8/2021 at 10:55 AM, BrianAnderson said:

It wouldn't bother me as much if there was smoke about us indeed trying to trade for another arm we have heard about here (Burnes/Marquez/Castillo/Grey/etc.) but it sounds like they aren't going to do shit else to grab a stranglehold on the division and take the playoffs by storm and that is what is infuriating. We don't even have a solidified DH.

"Aim for 2nd place..."

Edited by RagahRagah

On 2/18/2021 at 5:38 AM, BrianAnderson said:

Still crazy to me that Jerry didn't even entertain this. It's so up his alley in terms of years given to pitching. I'll be sad about this one for a while. It had it all - short deal, during our window & arch rival to Jerry making bid (Cohen). Woulda allowed our team to thrive this year, let Lynn walk next year, Kopech/Crochet take over that role, let Bauer walk the next year, both of those guys now are the "ace". It was just so perfect - to not even entertain it - to not even reach out? makes me sad as a sox fan.

Did you notice the bulk of the salary is paid 11/30/21 ? I wonder if that means the Dodgers are still over the CBT level  and it goes on next years book instead. Don't the Dodgers have a lot of money coming off the books next year ? SO if I'm right only $18M on the books this year for Bauer . IDK how all this financial stuff works  accounting wise but maybe the Dodgers just saved a bunch of money on the CBT . Might still be over it but not by nearly as much.

But you can still see that 1st year of salary no matter when its paid + the bonus is still higher than the combined salary's of Lynn, Hendriks, Eaton and Rodon for 2021 . Right ? I don't think I really have to do the math to see that.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Did you notice the bulk of the salary is paid 11/30/21 ? I wonder if that means the Dodgers are still over the CBT level  and it goes on next years book instead. Don't the Dodgers have a lot of money coming off the books next year ? SO if I'm right only $18M on the books this year for Bauer . IDK how all this financial stuff works  accounting wise but maybe the Dodgers just saved a bunch of money on the CBT . Might still be over it but not by nearly as much.

But you can still see that 1st year of salary no matter when its paid + the bonus is still higher than the combined salary's of Lynn, Hendriks, Eaton and Rodon for 2021 . Right ? I don't think I really have to do the math to see that.

At least as of now you can’t play games like that with the tax, it is the average of the guaranteed money divided by the years. Since he has an opt out, the full year is counted toward the CBT.