Dodgers sign Bauer (3/102, opt-outs, 40-45-17)

Jose Abreu

40 minutes ago, bmags said:

I like Joel Sherman a lot but this screams more just looking at fits and making a guess. By fit - Bauer is perfect here or in NY. But that doesn’t get you much farther

New York would have to pay me double to live there.  I hope Bauer has the same view of that dump.

• Like 2

Posted this at 1:30 today. Hmmmm...maybe my Spidy senses are correct.

Bauer - w/Yankees out of the picture and Mets a big question mark, I don't see too many teams lining up to throw @$30M/AAV at him. Dodgers don't need him and Boston seems unlikely. It wouldn't shock me if WS quietly got something done here.

46 minutes ago, bmags said:

I like Joel Sherman a lot but this screams more just looking at fits and making a guess. By fit - Bauer is perfect here or in NY. But that doesn’t get you much farther

This seems to be exactly what is going on. I don't believe Bauer is an option for us, unfortunately. I think Sherman was just taking a wild guess because we could use a starting pitcher, and now people are going to run with it.

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

This seems to be exactly what is going on. I don't believe Bauer is an option for us, unfortunately. I think Sherman was just taking a wild guess because we could use a starting pitcher, and now people are going to run with it.

Where do you think he lands?

14 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The one thing that crossed my mind here is how much TLR and Bauer line up politically.  I am sure it will come down to money, but if anyone out there might actually be excited by our drunken clown of a manager,  it might be him.

I paid attention to this during Bauer's vlog post about the La Russa DUI stuff and was looking for any indication of being turned off by it and if anything he seemed to be closer to defending La Russa if anything else. Maybe I'll have to watch it again, but nothing about it made me think it hurt Bauer's chances of coming here.

That being said, I hope Joel Sherman is absolutely wrong here. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Flash said:

Where do you think he lands?

Great question. I suppose I would guess the Mets if I had to pick.

As much as I would love to sign Bauer, I am fine with the plan to go hard after Springer instead. Lock down the positional side of things with Springer and Vaughn, and then just look to upgrade the starting pitching year by year. If that means starting this year with Richards and Quintana, I am fine with that. Eventually we will have to land a big gun.

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

Great question. I suppose I would guess the Mets if I had to pick.

As much as I would love to sign Bauer, I am fine with the plan to go hard after Springer instead. Lock down the positional side of things with Springer and Vaughn, and then just look to upgrade the starting pitching year by year. If that means starting this year with Richards and Quintana, I am fine with that. Eventually we will have to land a big gun.

Bauer in NYC or Boston seems like worst case possible scenarios for him. The local media will go to war with him every time he does something stupid,  which is too often. 

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

No. Not even close.  Chicago media protects the teams a lot more. In NYC and Boston they burn players down for stories.  Look at the non- reaction over the TLR stuff. That doesn't happen in those markets. 

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? 

I don't think the Sox could have gotten away with hiring TLR if they had that type of media presence. They'd have torn them to shreds. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? 

I don't think the Sox could have gotten away with hiring TLR if they had that type of media presence. They'd have torn them to shreds. 

That's literally the point.  Chicago protected TLR. They'd protect Bauer too. Dude would be regular back page news as a Met.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Prolly 0

I wouldn't go quite there..........if ever there was an offseason where bargains could be had even at the top of the market, it's this one. I have no idea what the top offers from teams are going to be like...... for all we know, the Sox could get Bauer for slightly more than they were willing to pay Wheeler last winter. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I wouldn't go quite there..........if ever there was an offseason where bargains could be had even at the top of the market, it's this one. I have no idea what the top offers from teams are going to be like...... for all we know, the Sox could get Bauer for slightly more than they were willing to pay Wheeler last winter. 

Sox don’t win bidding wars. Pretty close to 0 chance this happens. Don’t get sucked in yet once again

• Jose Abreu changed the title to Dodgers sign Bauer (3/102, opt-outs, 40-45-17)