Dodgers sign Bauer (3/102, opt-outs, 40-45-17)

Jose Abreu

6 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

I thought his trolling of Heyman was humorous.  We see/hear the media always speculating and/or reporting about players' demands in free agency, but we rarely if ever see the players saying anything.  Bauer may actually be looking for 5-6 years at $30M+, but that does go against the type of contracts he's looked for in the past.  I still think he signs for a short deal (1-2 years) at $30M+ per.  That still probably keeps the Sox from actively pursuing him, though.

But, that would be a lot of attitude on one team.  Add Puig and you'd have a virtual powder keg. 😂

If Bauer does indeed sign a 1 or 2 year deal and the Sox do not even try to pursue him, I will be pissed....and then quickly move on so I can get pissed about who they didn't sign for the bullpen, etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SCCWS said:

In fairness, a lot of the media rumors posted are BS.  Combine ego driven athletes and media people creating stories to keep their name in the news and the circus develops. 

You're not wrong but this is what sports guys do and what they are paid to do. Nothing going on in that tweet other than business as usual. Seems pointless to be that much of a dick about it.

2 hours ago, tdsox17 said:

I've said this before. Is this guy and the circus that surrounds him really worth it?

Yeah, ownership seems to think team chemistry is a problem,  why not get someone who is actually at their peak in the process?  Nah, we all know the answer to that. Too busy saving our pennies.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RagahRagah said:

You're not wrong but this is what sports guys do and what they are paid to do. Nothing going on in that tweet other than business as usual. Seems pointless to be that much of a dick about it.

Isn't Heyman being a dick here too? Heyman doesn't know what all 30 teams are doing, either. He's salty because a player finally is speaking up on their own behalf. These media guys are pushing a narrative from one particular source/side to keep their contacts. It's not genuine, it just gets them air time and allows them to push false narratives to eventually get a scoop. 

I get it's BAU for these insiders, but the players have a voice now and should feel free to use it. Not everyone is going to like Bauer or TA types who speak their mind and it goes against 'traditional' baseball ways, but I'm happy to see him calling out BS. I hope other players start doing it too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RagahRagah said:

This is how writers get scoops.  They play lapdogs to ownership, management and agents when they want their stuff floated, and then they get rewarded with the good stuff when it comes along.  That access is what is important now.

• Like 1

I had a dream that the Trevor Bauer signing was analogous to catching a fish, but in this case there were 2 entities catching at the same time, and only one would win. One of them was the White Sox, the other was unknown at the time. 

Obviously the other one won. When I finally found out who this "mystery" team was, it turned out to be a team (or entity) that I had never heard of, thus dream-state-me declared that it was a bot!

The entity insisted it was not a bot. Fair enough. But, my subconscious immediately interpreted that the White Sox are so bad at landing big FAs, that there's no surprise that they'd lose to bots as well as real teams. That's pretty sad... JR. 

3 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Bauer doesn't seem to have problems with players, not that I have seen on Twitter.  He just looooooooooves trolling Media and fans 

Didn't Cleveland dump him to Cincinnati in the middle of a pennant race for making a show on the mound of throwing the ball over the fence? That's a little more than trolling media and fans. 

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Didn't Cleveland dump him to Cincinnati in the middle of a pennant race for making a show on the mound of throwing the ball over the fence? That's a little more than trolling media and fans. 

That's unsportsmanlike sure but I don't recall any players talking shit about it.  Did they?

also pretty normal for Cleveland mode of operation, dealing players before their walk year, no?

6 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

That's unsportsmanlike sure but I don't recall any players talking shit about it.  Did they?

also pretty normal for Cleveland mode of operation, dealing players before their walk year, no?

I was just thinking that the Indian dealing players as they get expensive isn't exactly ground breaking news.

4 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Bauer doesn't seem to have problems with players, not that I have seen on Twitter.  He just looooooooooves trolling Media and fans 

Tell that to Reds and Indians. Cleveland felt Puig was a better clubhouse fit, players hated him for risking their World Series run playing with a frigging toy, and he went after / bashed team leader Joey Votto publicly on multiple occasions. Bauer was also an asshole who just wouldn't listen according to mild mannered Miguel Montero.

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/joey-votto-on-trevor-bauer-dugout-incident

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/mlb/reds/2020/10/06/trevor-bauer-vlog-reds-pitcher-reacts-joey-votto-not-scoring-vs-braves-13-th-inning-game-1-atlanta/3634036001/

Here is the asshole filming himself in the clubhouse, b****ing at Joey Votto during the playoffs (8:15 mark).

They brought in two too many assholes already this off-season, and our team leader is on the fence with Mr. Teacher brought in last year.

52 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I would be leery about signing such an outspoken player to a long term deal

No way he's getting $36 million per over 5-6 years

I don't have much of an opinion about Bauer's antics . I would think his agent might tell him he's costing himself money by screwing with Heyman. Or perhaps he doesn't care about costing himself a few million here and there. I'm pretty sure the video of why he only wanted 1 year contracts is no longer available but below is some quotes from it : https://www.redlegnation.com/2020/04/08/reds-pitcher-trevor-bauer-on-why-hes-only-signing-1-year-deals/

“I want to be able to be happy playing the game that I love. So I want  to end up in situations that make me happy and make me fulfilled. That can be situations like the Reds have, where there’s just a really great group of people that just make me fulfilled as a person,” said Bauer.

“That can be situations like jumping into a team that’s going to go on a playoff run and hopefully win a World Series. That can be a team that would let me pitch every 4th day or treats me with respect in a way that no other team has. Or whatever the case is – there’s certain things that are more important to me than money. And I want to be able to control where I play and when and the situations I’m in so that as I change too, and things become more important to me, or less important to me as I evolve that I can tailor fit my situation to reflect that.”

Winning certainly seems important to Bauer, as it is for nearly every high-level athlete. “I want to be on a contender every year because I love competing at the highest level and the highest level is the World Series,” he said. “So I want to have a chance to go to the World Series every single year. And the way baseball is currently structured, there’s not many teams that go into spring training trying to win the World Series that year.”

I don't think anyone can say for sure what Bauer is thinking. Surely he realizes his free agency is the chance of a lifetime to have mega bucks but makes his earlier stance about the 1 year deals seem naive at best or idiotic at worse. He knew before he made those comments that he would be a FA one day and a great year pre- Free Agency would set him up for a great multi- year contract.

I would suppose that once he is signed he can say all the right things about about winning and feeling wanted and appreciated like most free agents do to let us all know it just wasn't ALL about the money. He may think he is a different kind of dude but in the end he most likely ends up being like all Free Agents. and takes one of the highest offers combining a high amount of money with a high amount of years , with opportunities to opt out.

If Bauer is truly the cat he thinks he is, then there is a small chance he chooses to be the maverick and stick to his nonsense about 1 year deals, how important winning is to him, pitching every 4th day or being treated with respect in a way that no other team has.

The story will continue to unfold but most of us can guess the outcome or can we ???

Bauer is a mid-rotation starter who flashes top-end performance before reminding everyone once again that he's not an ace.  The idea that this guy is worth anywhere near Kershaw/Sale/DeGrom/Scherzer/Price/Greinke/Verlander, etc. money is nuts.  I'd be willing to overpay the guy just because the Sox are in position to overpay a FA given the cheapness of their core ATM, but he's not actually worth it on paper.

IMO $25M is an overpay that is worth it to the Sox.  $30M per for 1-2 years is also better for the Sox than trading away top SP prospects.  But if Bauer wants neither, fine, go elsewhere and be a bad contract over there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Tell that to Reds and Indians. Cleveland felt Puig was a better clubhouse fit, players hated him for risking their World Series run playing with a frigging toy, and he went after / bashed team leader Joey Votto publicly on multiple occasions. Bauer was also an asshole who just wouldn't listen according to mild mannered Miguel Montero.

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/joey-votto-on-trevor-bauer-dugout-incident

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/mlb/reds/2020/10/06/trevor-bauer-vlog-reds-pitcher-reacts-joey-votto-not-scoring-vs-braves-13-th-inning-game-1-atlanta/3634036001/

Here is the asshole filming himself in the clubhouse, b****ing at Joey Votto during the playoffs (8:15 mark).

They brought in two too many assholes already this off-season, and our team leader is on the fence with Mr. Teacher brought in last year.

Lmao did you say mild mannered miguel montero?  Isn't that the same dude that was mad about Contreras taking his starting job so he talked shit to the Cubs until they dfa-ed his ass?

and Puig has nothing to do with Bauer, he wasn't replacing him on the mound.  Nobody said anything like you are inferring here, you didn't put up one article where another player was pissed at him for anything.  Votto has never been one to mince words and all he did was own his error and move on

this is all so petty lol.  Bring me Bauer 

• Like 2

As many have said its all moot, but it's also quiet this time of year and we're bored so we just keep repeating the same things over and over. So why not? haha. 

Bauer is a smart dude, especially when you take out some time to watch his youtube stuff. Heyman is kind of old man media on Twitter at times - gives me Steve Stone vibes at times, so i think you have to similar personalities that just clash. That being said the internet just seems to look for stories -- that exchange wasn't much of anything. Pretty sure it's just banter back and forth. Regardless of any of that I'd welcome him whole heartedly to the team. he's a guy that wants to win and is good at his job. Certainly better than most. Also he's one of almost none that is willing to accept a shorter term deal AND is actually pushing to pitch every 4th game. Shit, if a Cy Young winner wants to go out for 250 ip and is okay taking a 3 year deal? I have no problem with that. think about what you're paying per inning for that. 

Deals I'm fine with 

1yr, 45mm, 2yr 85mm, 3yr 120mm, 4yr 135mm, 5yr 150mm, 6yr 160mm. Sliding scale.

11 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Lmao did you say mild mannered miguel montero?  Isn't that the same dude that was mad about Contreras taking his starting job so he talked shit to the Cubs until they dfa-ed his ass?

and Puig has nothing to do with Bauer, he wasn't replacing him on the mound.  Nobody said anything like you are inferring here, you didn't put up one article where another player was pissed at him for anything.  Votto has never been one to mince words and all he did was own his error and move on

this is all so petty lol.  Bring me Bauer 

This same dude compared La Russa and/or Eaton to a serial child molester...not shocking he called one of the biggest assholes in the game “mild mannered” to feed his need for moral superiority.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

• Jose Abreu changed the title to Dodgers sign Bauer (3/102, opt-outs, 40-45-17)