Dodgers sign Bauer (3/102, opt-outs, 40-45-17)

Jose Abreu

5 hours ago, RagahRagah said:

You're not wrong but this is what sports guys do and what they are paid to do. Nothing going on in that tweet other than business as usual. Seems pointless to be that much of a dick about it.

Not really. Bauer said neither he nor his agent were asked by Heyman for a comment. I didn't see where Heyman disputed that. 

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

Lmao did you say mild mannered miguel montero?  Isn't that the same dude that was mad about Contreras taking his starting job so he talked shit to the Cubs until they dfa-ed his ass?

and Puig has nothing to do with Bauer,

Montero was linked, most everyone on the planet hates him. Most players keep their dirty laundry in house. 

The Indians were comfortable taking on the known cancer in Puig just to get Bauer’s Proud Boys ass out of there. Both teams were trying to get rid of their cancers. 

I don’t have to worry about him coming here because Jerry isn’t going to pay. Any team signing this clown will regret it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Montero was linked, most everyone on the planet hates him. Most players keep their dirty laundry in house. 

The Indians were comfortable taking on the known cancer in Puig just to get Bauer’s Proud Boys ass out of there. Both teams were trying to get rid of their cancers. 

I don’t have to worry about him coming here because Jerry isn’t going to pay. Any team signing this clown will regret it. 

Montero is definitely not liked by all teammates. Who can forget his former Cubs teammates trying to get Trump to say “he’s fired”

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Sure, the Indians were merely swapping cancers and not acquiring four good prospects as well as Puigs salary one year before Bauer walked.  Yep

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Montero is definitely not liked by all teammates. Who can forget his former Cubs teammates trying to get Trump to say “he’s fired”

Linked, not liked. Arizona dumped Bauer very quickly.

There are currently only 4 or 5 teams with the willingness and ability to pay Bauer for even one or two seasons this offseason, let alone the asinine amount and length he is asking for.

13 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Sure, the Indians were merely swapping cancers and not acquiring four good prospects as well as Puigs salary one year before Bauer walked.  Yep

Sure, “Four Good Prospects”.

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/indians/

Moss and Allen are not in their top 20 prospects list, Nova is not ranked.  They let Puig walk, leaving Reyes as the MLB player.

His biggest value is being paid the minimum. 2.2 total bWAR / 2.7 fWAR total over his three seasons, would provide more value as a DH. Engel topped him in OPS last season, Engel slightly lower in bWAR (1.9) / fWAR (1.7) over the past three seasons.

Cancer dump and salary dump.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Lol, sure. You hear the MLB GMs? South Side Hit Men from soxtalk.com has spoken. Anybody who signs Bauer will regret it, guaranteed. He knows Bauer better than anybody. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

To anyone who pays attention. As another poster mentioned, trolling the media and fans is why he had a juvenile outburst on the mound?

These types of guys tend to have their careers end in infamy.

Please, the dude won the cy young the next year.  This is the major leagues, I don't think he is hurting feelings doing that stuff.  

He's a very good pitcher who I would love to have on the Sox, especially on a short contract.  Playoff, Pennant and World Series odds go way up in our favor with Bauer in the rotation.  None of the arguments that he is a bad dude will sway my opinion.  I have always thought he was the obvious play for the Sox this offseason to put a strangle hold on the AL Central.

Edited by wegner
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Please, the dude won the cy young the next year.  This is the major leagues, I don't think he is hurting feelings doing that stuff.  

Not sure why you're first ignoring childish behavior and then trying to downplay it.

Dude does not have a good attitude, no matter how much you'd like to try to argue around it. What relevance does winning a Cy Young have with his attitude?

I'm not denying he's a quality pitcher, dude. I'm just stating the guy has a problematic personality that clearly goes past your claim of just "trolling media and fans."

Edited by RagahRagah

14 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Not sure why you're first ignoring childish behavior and then trying to downplay it.

Dude does not have a good attitude, no matter how much you'd like to try to argue around it. What relevance does winning a Cy Young have with his attitude?

I'm not denying he's a quality pitcher, dude. I'm just stating the guy has a problematic personality that clearly goes past your claim of just "trolling media and fans."

And I'm just stating that you are blowing it way out of proportion and the guys talent far outweighs anything he does that you deem problematic

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ron883 said:

Lol, sure. You hear the MLB GMs? South Side Hit Men from soxtalk.com has spoken. Anybody who signs Bauer will regret it, guaranteed. He knows Bauer better than anybody. 

Arizona knew him better, they quickly dumped his ass. Cleveland lived with his ass as long as they could, dumped his ass in a fire sale in exchange for a trade of colonoscopy cancerous polyps.

Wore out his welcome in Cincinnati after 21 starts. Time will tell if anyone is desperate enough to think his toxic presence is worth it. His 1-4 postseason record indicates it hasn’t been during his first decade in the sport.

I pity the team who signs this clown, especially the 25 other players who have to live and work with this creep. In the end, he’ll leave baseball without a ring, likely with multiple additional teams satisfied he is gone, regretful like his previous three teams they acquired him in the first place.

3 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

And I'm just stating that you are blowing it way out of proportion and the guys talent far outweighs anything he does that you deem problematic

What would constitute not blowing it out of proportion? And in truth you really don't know if his talent outweighs his problems, especially the way he's not exactly been coveted by the teams he has been on. You underestimate the effects an attitude like his can have on his performance and his feam.

All you're really saying is that you won't admit your original statement was incorrect.

Edited by RagahRagah

9 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

What would constitute not blowing it out of proportion? And in truth you really don't know if his talent outweighs his problems, especially the way he's not exactly been coveted by the teams he has been on. You underestimate the effects an attitude like his can have on his performance and his feam.

All you're really saying is that you won't admit your original statement was incorrect.

Eh, a lot of that is financial.  Would Cleveland have been different if they weren't one of the cheapest franchises in baseball?  They have been dumping dollars for years now, so it isn't like the move of Bauer was something unusual for them.  Cincy is also looking to dump dollars after this season.

Valid points made on both sides about whether the Sox should pursue Bauer on a one year deal.

After reading the 2019 SI piece (linked below) about him, I tend to side with those who do not want to take the chance of having that @hole destroy team chemistry.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/02/19/trevor-bauer-cleveland-indians-training-tools-twitter-controversy-cy-young

Bauer may not get what he wants (a large one-year Contract) given the reticence of owners to spend during a pandemic.

At the right price i suppose  you sign him and hope he gets off Twitter, shuts up with his ReTrumplican politics (including climate change denial) , and makes an effort to be a good teammate.  I don't know...maybe just pass on that dude.

Edited by tray
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, RagahRagah said:

Incorrect about what?   Not getting all b****y about a baseball player throwing a ball over a fence?   Please.   I want a cy young winner.  The end

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RagahRagah said:

This may be true for bad teams.  I just looked at Bleacher report's "25 most hated players in baseball history"  In order...Ty Cobb--3 World Series,  Pete Rose-- 6 World Series, Alex Rodriguez--1 WS, Barry Bonds--1 WS, Roger Clemens--6 WS...so that's your top five biggest A**holes in baseball history and everyone went to the world series and combined they went to 17.  I'm pretty sure talent trumps attitude.  I remember when AJ came to the White Sox and the chorus sang that he destroys clubhouses and everyone hated him.   It's possible that the company picnic won't be as fun but hating Bauer's politics isn't going to stop Eloy from hitting 50 home runs or Robert's range in CF dropping.    

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

All this talk about Bauer like there’s a chance in hell the White Sox would sign him. It’s hilarious. He’s one of the two big fish free agents of the off-season and the White Sox don’t sign big fish  

I’ll be glad when he signs elsewhere. 

he isn't signing ANYWHERE if he is asking for 5 or 6 years at 36-40mm a year. I worried about his new agent...that she was going to be hyper aggressive to make a name for herself and ultimately fall flat. If he thinks he is getting 200 mil contract...he has ZERO takers this season on that. 

14 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

he isn't signing ANYWHERE if he is asking for 5 or 6 years at 36-40mm a year. I worried about his new agent...that she was going to be hyper aggressive to make a name for herself and ultimately fall flat. If he thinks he is getting 200 mil contract...he has ZERO takers this season on that. 

I agree. Even Springer is asking for a lot more money than he was projected to get and he has a different agent.

Edited by maloney.adam

34 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

She is definitely using the situation to try and become more famous. Her Vlogs are so cringeworthy.

• Jose Abreu changed the title to Dodgers sign Bauer (3/102, opt-outs, 40-45-17)