Dodgers sign Bauer (3/102, opt-outs, 40-45-17)

Jose Abreu

10 hours ago, poppysox said:

Rick Hahn loves creative incentive base contracts and Bauer seems the type to bet on himself.  They just may find a way to get together.

I agree. But the creative incentive base contracts didn't work for Machado. But if it's spring training and Bauer is still looking, then yes maybe that will work 

Edited by smellysox

Not sure if anyone saw his latest YouTube video, but he does a rundown of the things most important to him. Everything sounded good until he got to one. Pitching every 4 days. He wants the team he signs with to have a serious discussion about doing just that. I’m sorry, but that’s ridiculous. Imagine trying to plan out a rotation with one guy going every 4 days. He gives a bunch of options of how he thinks it would work, but it seems incredibly counter productive to put one guy’s regimen over the rest of the team. What a mess. Maybe a team like the Rays would do that, but you’re not going to find a competitive team willing to run that over the course of 162 game season.

25 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Not sure if anyone saw his latest YouTube video, but he does a rundown of the things most important to him. Everything sounded good until he got to one. Pitching every 4 days. He wants the team he signs with to have a serious discussion about doing just that. I’m sorry, but that’s ridiculous. Imagine trying to plan out a rotation with one guy going every 4 days. He gives a bunch of options of how he thinks it would work, but it seems incredibly counter productive to put one guy’s regimen over the rest of the team. What a mess. Maybe a team like the Rays would do that, but you’re not going to find a competitive team willing to run that over the course of 162 game season.

Sure, I'll have a serious discussion about it but it doesn't mean I would allow it to happen.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Well hopefully he continues the ridiculous demands and at somepoint TLR works his voodoo magic on Jerry to convince that that Trever is that one more piece we need.

Did you watch his latest video ? Yes you have to subscribe to his youtube account but you can always unsubscribe. He isn't making demands. He brings up things that are important to him , how he wants to grow his brand, how he wants baseball to grow,and what would make him happy. He doesn't care about the size of the market. He does care about winning and made it clear he doesn't want to play with a rebuilding team. He was happiest playing in a World Series. He wants honest communication with those in charge of him, more of a partnership than I'm the boss you are the employee type of thing.

He thinks he can learn from others and others can learn from him. As an example he brought up how the D'backs didn't want him working with weighted balls and he did. Now everyone is working with weighted balls. He thinks he is at his best going every 4th day but he doesn't want it to disrupt his team mates routines and offers suggestions on how it could work.He specifically brought up how young pitchers on innings limits might need periods of rest. He brought up how certain guys might be better going every 6th day. He uses a ton of data and maybe things he uses the Sox aren't using and perhaps he can learn some things that the Sox are using that he isn't. He seems pretty open minded and is asking the team he chooses be the same way. Again he wants to be heard and if the Sox and his team mates are willing to hear his ideas and have an honest open discussion about it maybe that's enough , maybe its not. He said the Reds were very open with him and he enjoyed his time there. It doesn't seem like an impossible task to get along with the guy and treat him the way he would like to be treated. The Sox could always contact the Reds and ask them how they handled his ideas.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Just food for thought - when is the last time a rotation went a full year without injury? Between injuries and off days it's possible to grant Bauer his request while keeping others on 5 games rest. Is it somewhat of organized chaos and go against the "team" aspect? definitely. However I don't think it's impossible at all. Impossible is JR meeting salary demands. 

13 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Just food for thought - when is the last time a rotation went a full year without injury? Between injuries and off days it's possible to grant Bauer his request while keeping others on 5 games rest. Is it somewhat of organized chaos and go against the "team" aspect? definitely. However I don't think it's impossible at all. Impossible is JR meeting salary demands. 

I don’t think it would be. At some point you most likely either skip a guy or push someone to 6 days rest. Lots of these guys like a set regiment. I wouldn’t mess with potentially 4 guys routines to make one guy happy. He might be convinced it makes him better, but I don’t think it’s worth experimenting with if it throws the rest of the team out of whack. 

40 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Is it possible that was 2018? I have a hard time believing he missed time in 2019 while making 33 starts and pitching 213 innings.

I'll be honest, I can't remember if he actually missed time or if he just didn't pitch well after that. I'll look now.

Edit: you're right. That was 2018. I've got nothing for his 2019 season.

2nd Edit: just skimmed his game log for 2019. His worst games appear to have happened against the ALC teams (and the World Series champs Nationals) but I guess that would be common facing the same teams multiple times.

Edited by manbearpuig

There was a recent thread about the use of the pine tarish like substance that pitchers use to increase spin rate. Here's an excerpt from the article about Bauer and that substance.

He says, “If I used that s---, I’d be the best pitcher in the big leagues. I’d be unhittable. But I have morals.” He reveals now that he did use Pelican for one inning last year, the first of his April 30 outing against the Rangers, as some statheads had sussed out. He threw nine four-seam fastballs, and they averaged 2,600 revolutions per minute, about 300 RPM higher than normal. Then he stopped, and his spin rate dropped to its standard 2,300 RPM for the remainder of the game. He felt as if he had proved his point.

I guess my question would be IF we would do something non-White Sox and offer him 5/$175.  Are we content with what that probably means for the immediate future?

Rotation for 2021 - Gio, Bauer, Lynn, Keuchel, Cease/Kopech

Lynn is gone after this year and you now are hoping that a combo of Cease/Kopech/Crochet is your #4-5 moving ahead because you don't have another $20 million to extend Lynn

Bats are probably all coming from in house for the forseeable future because the payroll is going to be right at $200 million with raises on extensions and a Gio extension.  

I personally am not comfortable with this and think it gives zero flexibility moving ahead.  2 years at $65 million?  Maybe.......

7 minutes ago, Wisebri224 said:

I guess my question would be IF we would do something non-White Sox and offer him 5/$175.  Are we content with what that probably means for the immediate future?

Rotation for 2021 - Gio, Bauer, Lynn, Keuchel, Cease/Kopech

Lynn is gone after this year and you now are hoping that a combo of Cease/Kopech/Crochet is your #4-5 moving ahead because you don't have another $20 million to extend Lynn

Bats are probably all coming from in house for the forseeable future because the payroll is going to be right at $200 million with raises on extensions and a Gio extension.  

I personally am not comfortable with this and think it gives zero flexibility moving ahead.  2 years at $65 million?  Maybe.......

I'm comfortable with anything that gives the Sox a chance to win a World Series in the next few years. I don't care about Jerry's money or winning 2 World Series or competing a long time. There have been so few World Series wins in team history that having 2 in 25 years would be enough.

• Like 1

I know a certain amount of you won't read the SI article but another thing was how Bauer helped Clevinger so much that during one game against the Sox in Chicago that Francona said something like the radar gun was hot and Bauer and Clevinger laughed about it. There was also a quote about how Bauer helped advance how Cleveland used data and training. I have seen quite a few here envious of how Cleveland has developed pitching and Bauer is instrumental for some of that.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, manbearpuig said:

Sure, I'll have a serious discussion about it but it doesn't mean I would allow it to happen.

Probably not the answer he'd like to hear but maybe something like... Trevor we know you are a student of the game. We know you love baseball . We know you believe that how you have trained is well researched and data and analytically driven and you know how your body responds better than anyone. We value your input and are very interested in how your techniques could help the White Sox organization. We will do everything we can to accommodate you and make all our starting pitchers aware of  of your ideas and would love to have  honest and open discussion between us all .Ethan would love to hear your ideas and we'd like you to talk to him first after this initial discussion with you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Probably not the answer he'd like to hear but maybe something like... Trevor we know you are a student of the game. We know you love baseball . We know you believe that how you have trained is well researched and data and analytically driven and you know how your body responds better than anyone. We value your input and are very interested and how your techniques could help the White Sox organization. We will do everything we can do accommodate you and make all our starting pitchers aware of  of your ideas and would love to have  honest and open discussion between us all .Ethan would love to hear your ideas and we'd like you to talk to him first after this initial discussion with you.

But he also made points that would make him a great fit, including going on 3 days rest sometimes to help when pitchers need to limit their innings (like Kopech or Crochet).  I thought it was a great segment .

26 minutes ago, fathom said:

But he also made points that would make him a great fit, including going on 3 days rest sometimes to help when pitchers need to limit their innings (like Kopech or Crochet).  I thought it was a great segment .

Right and all I am trying to do is make people understand what motivates him and how deeply he cares about winning and improving himself as a pitcher. If you are going to make a commitment to him as an investment and want him on the Sox then it's prudent to know as much as you can about him and not make judgments based on throwing a ball into the bleachers, who his agent is or their relationship or his unorthodox ideas . He is going to have to strike a balance between growing as a brand, winning, money and hopefully he understands that there are of people with egos as big as his (LaRussa, Hahn, Williams, Katz and all the other starting pitchers) to convince them that his ideas are about whats best for him without disrupting how others deem whats best for them or the team.

Interesting facts... I am from the Santa Clarita valley, which is where Bauer went to high school.

At one job, I worked with Trevor Bauer. He was an arrogant jerk and on one occasion he and I were reprimanded for almost fighting.

I still wonder to this day if this Trevor Bauer was the same guy who we’re now discussing, seems very likely. 😆

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm comfortable with anything that gives the Sox a chance to win a World Series in the next few years. I don't care about Jerry's money or winning 2 World Series or competing a long time. There have been so few World Series wins in team history that having 2 in 25 years would be enough.

And that's the question.  So if we won 1 sometime between 2021-2023 and then it was busted up, you'd be good?  Because in looking at contracts, in 2023 if you sign Bauer at $35 million, you have $175 million in payroll assuming Vaughn is playing first, one of our Cuban sensations is playing right (and the other is Dh'ing?), two of our kids are SP.  Your bullpen is Hendriks, Bummer, Fry and a bunch of min guys and we still don't have a full roster.  I'm not sure if this window lasts longer than 2 years doing it.  While I agree that if you said we would win it in the next couple years I would be tempted, that's a really short window

4 minutes ago, Wisebri224 said:

And that's the question.  So if we won 1 sometime between 2021-2023 and then it was busted up, you'd be good?  Because in looking at contracts, in 2023 if you sign Bauer at $35 million, you have $175 million in payroll assuming Vaughn is playing first, one of our Cuban sensations is playing right (and the other is Dh'ing?), two of our kids are SP.  Your bullpen is Hendriks, Bummer, Fry and a bunch of min guys and we still don't have a full roster.  I'm not sure if this window lasts longer than 2 years doing it.  While I agree that if you said we would win it in the next couple years I would be tempted, that's a really short window

Yes, one title would be worth it

• Jose Abreu changed the title to Dodgers sign Bauer (3/102, opt-outs, 40-45-17)