Dodgers sign Bauer (3/102, opt-outs, 40-45-17)

Jose Abreu

Wake up everyone!!! Bauer GONE. Mets making a godfather offer, more than Cole Is making. We missed on Musgrove, Q, Kluber and a few others. Not much left out there. We better hope Kopech, Cease and or Lopez grow up fast.  Odorzzi or however you spell hiss name is left out there. Other than that it’s slim pickings. We need to rely on our guys and hope the develop. Maybe this new pitching coach can get these guys going. We still have a big 3 and if a #4 and #5 have to be by Committee so be it. 
 We can still out hit must teams and have the best bullpen in baseball and we will win the central. We just need 5 or 6 innings out of our #4 or #5 starters and we’ll be fine   

2 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

The fact that he already has a record breaking AAV out there puts any hopes that the white sox get him out dead in the water. 

All your points on the spot that he goes are correct tho of course.

If you had hopes for White Sox, you were delusional

• Like 5

Just now, AJ'S Cousin said:

Wake up everyone!!! Bauer GONE. Mets making a godfather offer, more than Cole Is making. We missed on Musgrove, Q, Kluber and a few others. Not much left out there. We better hope Kopech, Cease and or Lopez grow up fast.  Odorzzi or however you spell hiss name is left out there. Other than that it’s slim pickings. We need to rely on our guys and hope the develop. Maybe this new pitching coach can get these guys going. We still have a big 3 and if a #4 and #5 have to be by Committee so be it. 
 We can still out hit must teams and have the best bullpen in baseball and we will win the central. We just need 5 or 6 innings out of our #4 or #5 starters and we’ll be fine   

Wainwright seems like the most likely. 

Merkin, the White Sox reporter said this in answering a fan question: 

The White Sox aren’t done, but, barring a trade, I’m not sure if there will be any more big-name additions.

Now I have noticed that Merkin is pretty much the voice of the Sox front office; that's the way he's appeared to me in the years I've been following his stuff on MLB.com. He's pretty much saying no big signings are going to happen. Whatever might happen will be in a trade. 

So, I think we can put any talk of signing Bauer or even Cruz to sleep, because it looks like it ain't gonna happen. 

The trade point scares me. I hope we don't give up too much. 

We were never going to get him, hell, we didn't even talk to him. His desires match up so perfectly with the Dodgers and Mets it was probably likely them all along. Dodgers have done this in the past where they offer more money on a shorter deal. Mets? I mean it's Cohen at the end of the day. 

What I've liked about the Bauer aspect all along is his ability to accept fewer years for increased pay. If there was ever a time or situation that matched up with Uncle Jerry's philosophy, time frame, and winning window this was it. We didn't even engage ... so let's be serious. Our "maybe Jerry will change and try and chase a championship before he dies and start paying up"? that's never happening - he'll die rich and with a second place team like he prefers.

I'll die on the hill that I would've given him 3/125mm or 4/160mm in a heart beat. I think you could've even done it similarly to Scherzer where it's deferred over a bunch of years. Bauer was and is willing to get creative for the chance to win and to hit the all-time high AAV. Having 3 years of Giolito, Bauer, Keuchel + Kopech and Cease and others coming up (assuming you don't resign Lynn if you go big on Bauer) would've been huge. This year alone having a 4 headed monster plus our young guys would make our bullpen management so much easier ... you'd have 4 guys who can go 200ip. Alas, it's all conjecture and words on a page because it was never meant to be. 

48 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

So, does Bob just spew shit, hoping something ends up being true?

Look what he does for a living.  I think we should cut all these guys some slack- they have to look their kids in the eye at some point and explain that they tweet about sports rumors.  That’s gotta be tough

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Look what he does for a living.  I think we should cut all these guys some slack- they have to look their kids in the eye at some point and explain that they tweet about sports rumors.  That’s gotta be tough

Funny... yet at the same time I would love that “embarrassment.”

• Like 1

• Jose Abreu changed the title to Dodgers sign Bauer (3/102, opt-outs, 40-45-17)