Nontender deadline almost here

southsider2k5

i get the Q love a bit - i mean he was rock solid with us. However my argument more stems from, yes, he's a 3.90 - 4.10 FIP guy at this stage in his career. It's exactly what people are saying ... he's a #3 in this rotation, and likely is getting undervalued in this FA market compared to some of the other guys. I agree with all of that. We certainly could do a lot worse. 

My point was more really let's assume we're a playoff team again - I think then you're talking who puts you in the best position to win a world series. That's where my head goes at least. To me, Quintana, Odorizzi, Walker, Archer, etc. are all in the same tier. Meaning I don't think any of them move the needle, or have the chance to move the needle to where they WIN you a championship. they certainly improve your case for regular season wins and playoff positioning, but they don't put you in that drivers seat like a Giolito does to win a big game. 

To me that's what you want to acquire - someone who has that nasty stuff to where it can shut down a team completely. So to me, although the innings may be limited, and hell, they might even be hurt during a playoff run, I'd want to get a guy with that upside. Aka I'd choose Paxton over Q. I'd choose Rich Hill over Q. I'd choose Kluber over Q. 

I'm not anti Q, but with the plethora of younger pitchers who could use some MLB innings during the regular season, I'd like to see either a top Ace that clearly displaces those guys (Bauer) or a higher upside, more injury prone guy (Paxton, Kluber, Hill ... and wait for it Rodon (i'm like the only one left on the bandwagon and I get that) that allow some of those younger guys to log starts while having a pitcher that might be able to shut down a Yanks/Rays lineup. 

• Love 1

I could get on board two Q type starters that usually give you 6 innings and 3 or fewer runs.  Build up the pen with two Colome back of the pen types.  Just another way of competing if JR doesn't have the stomach for 150 million dollar contracts.

4 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I could get on board two Q type starters that usually give you 6 innings and 3 or fewer runs.  Build up the pen with two Colome back of the pen types.  Just another way of competing if JR doesn't have the stomach for 150 million dollar contracts.

Non-tender Rodon and use that money towards Q. He You can always count on him to give you innings (outside of a freak injury this year).

WSCR reports the Cubs are not tendering Schwarber and Almora.

Per DUI jail = Flu.

The #Cubs are definitely tendering a contract to Kris Bryant, but barring a change of plans, will cut ties with outfielders Kyle Schwarber and Albert Almora, as predicted
Edited by South Side Hit Men

11 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

WSCR reports the Cubs are not tendering Schwarber and Almora.

Per DUI jail = Flu.

The #Cubs are definitely tendering a contract to Kris Bryant, but barring a change of plans, will cut ties with outfielders Kyle Schwarber and Albert Almora, as predicted

Schwarber would be great addition....adds huge LH power and can switch off at LF/DH with Eloy. Only issue is Vaughn. 

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

He can throw. You could put him in RF and give Luis Robert some track shoes.

I've said it over and over again, but with Eloy out there already, the last thing I want in RF is another garbage fielder.  I would rather run Adam Engel and Leury Garcia out there daily, knowing full well that Adam Engel will probably regress to his .550 OPS days, but knowing that they won't trash the pitching staff with their defense than run another Eloy clone out there in RF.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I've said it over and over again, but with Eloy out there already, the last thing I want in RF is another garbage fielder.  I would rather run Adam Engel and Leury Garcia out there daily, knowing full well that Adam Engel will probably regress to his .550 OPS days, but knowing that they won't trash the pitching staff with their defense than run another Eloy clone out there in RF.

I’m actually surprised we aren’t valuing the gold glove caliber defense Engel brings over offense from this position, given we are talking about #8 in the batting order and with the abundance of offense we have in the other eight slots in the order.  

With the likely return to form by Moncada and the improvement at DH with Vaughn over what Encarnacion brought last year, the team is in a position to carry a defense-first player here.  And with the kind of young pitching the Sox have, you can never have enough good defense behind them.  

1 minute ago, Thad Bosley said:

I’m actually surprised we aren’t valuing the gold glove caliber defense Engel brings over offense from this position, given we are talking about #8 in the batting order and with the abundance of offense we have in the other eight slots in the order.  

With the likely return to form by Moncada and the improvement at DH with Vaughn over what Encarnacion brought last year, the team is in a position to carry a defense-first player here.  And with the kind of young pitching the Sox have, you can never have enough good defense behind them.  

If they were to spend big on a starting pitcher, I would be 100% in favor of running Engel/Leury out in RF on a daily basis.