Oscar Colas declared FA in Japan

EloyJenkins

58 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

He did play 7 games in the NPB so he at least got a cup of coffee at that level last year and performed well for whatever that's worth. Hopefully there is a minor league season this year and I would guess if there is he would start at AA or maybe A+ on the cautious side. Then let him jump levels quickly if he shows he's ready, similar to Robert in 2019.

And I do value NPB experience, it's really that he was still just in their minors that worries me. But you never know the circumstances, and I imagine there is never an easy transition but it may be especially difficult to go from Cuba to Japan on someone, if just due to written language.

The sox have benefited from very talented offensive players from Cuba. With the one exception being Dayon Visciedo. Marco Paddy does a great job finding these guys. Hopefully Colas isn't the second exception. There definitely seems to be talent there. Just how much?

11 minutes ago, smellysox said:

The sox have benefited from very talented offensive players from Cuba. With the one exception being Dayon Visciedo. Marco Paddy does a great job finding these guys. Hopefully Colas isn't the second exception. There definitely seems to be talent there. Just how much?

Even Viciedo was a reasonably talented player.  He just couldn't ever quite put it all together.  But the tools were definitely there.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, smellysox said:

They turned him into a pro player.  That is always a win when you are dealing with 18 year old signings.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MackowiakYakYak said:

What’s the scouting report on him? I can’t find any 20/80 tools rankings. All the articles are just obsessed with him being a two-way Shohei

He’s more hitter than pitcher. Calling him another Ohtani is definitely pushing it. He also hasn’t really pitched all that much. Looks like he could have the ability too though, as he hits mid-90’s with his FB. 

13 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

He’s more hitter than pitcher. Calling him another Ohtani is definitely pushing it. He also hasn’t really pitched all that much. Looks like he could have the ability too though, as he hits mid-90’s with his FB. 

He's thrown like 1/3 of an inning more than Davidson haha I think you're right that people say that because he has a good arm, but then you can say that about others around the game too, especially catchers.

Signing Colas (or Cespedes) basically to me means they aren't seriously pursuing Springer. And frankly I don't want them to pursue Springer heavily. $25mm/yr can be spent better elsewhere on the diamond. Just look at a guy like Rosario who just cleared waivers ... the value of a RF is less than elsewhere on the diamond. 

Spend $6-12mm and get yourself a 1-2 year guy in Rosario or Pederson and then reassess where you stand with Colas or Cespedes after that time. That saves you $10-20mm annually by signing one of those guys, lowers your long term risk, and also gives you .... 60-75%? of the production at 20-50% of the cost. offense isn't our problem. Arms are needed to get us over the hump

12 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Signing Colas (or Cespedes) basically to me means they aren't seriously pursuing Springer. 

I don't think its relevant. A team doesn't stop acquiring prospects because it has a major league player. 

Edited by Vulture
  • Like 6

8 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Signing Colas (or Cespedes) basically to me means they aren't seriously pursuing Springer. And frankly I don't want them to pursue Springer heavily. $25mm/yr can be spent better elsewhere on the diamond. Just look at a guy like Rosario who just cleared waivers ... the value of a RF is less than elsewhere on the diamond. 

Spend $6-12mm and get yourself a 1-2 year guy in Rosario or Pederson and then reassess where you stand with Colas or Cespedes after that time. That saves you $10-20mm annually by signing one of those guys, lowers your long term risk, and also gives you .... 60-75%? of the production at 20-50% of the cost. offense isn't our problem. Arms are needed to get us over the hump

Colas is not a guy for 2021, or even maybe 22.  He also doesn't stop you from going after Springer.  If Colas does pan out, you worry about that down the road.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

I don't agree with that idea, Eloy isn't long for the outfield and will eventually take over as DH in the not too distant future. Signing Colas or Cespedes both whom need time in the minors (Colas possibly less as evidence by his cup of coffee) could easily slot in LF or move Springer to LF.

2 hours ago, smellysox said:

well even beyond Paddy's expertise,these two guys are highly touted across all of baseball. these don't sound like guys who were expertly scouted or something lol

58 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

I agree. Get Joc for 1-2 years. Pair him up with Engel or Leury and the put most of your chips into the middle of the table for pitching. 

Just going off of what we've heard and seen on social media, it seems like Colas is coming to the Sox. But then I hear about him having as workout for other teams and it seems a bit confusing as to why he would still be working out for other teams at this point if so many things/people indicate that he's going to be in Chicago. Just seems a bit strange.

10 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

It means they aren't complete dopes. They have over 2m left to spend on free agents. Why wouldn't they use that on a top 100 prospect?

• Like 2