Baseball Prospectus Top 10 White Sox Prospects

South Side Hit Men

Baseball Prospectus posted their Top 10 White Sox Prospect list, which I haven't seen posted here.

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/prospects/article/63146/2021-prospects-chicago-white-sox-top-10-prospects/

Here are the Top 10 & (2020 rank), and their projection for each.

1. Nick Madrigal (2) - 60 / More singles than a Beatles album
  2. Andrew Vaughn (4) - 60 / Occasional All-Star first baseman
  3. Garrett Crochet (-) - 60 / Front-line starter or elite closer
  4. Michael Kopech (3) - 60 / No. 2/3 starter or first-division closer
  5. Dane Dunning (6) - 60 / No. 3 starter
  6. Jared Kelley (-) - 55 / Mid-rotation starter or hard-throwing reliever
  7. Jonathan Stiever (5) - 55 / No. 3/4 starter 
  8. Andrew Dalquist (-) - 50 / No. 4 starter
  9. Codi Heuer (-) - 50 / Late inning arm
  10. Avery Weems (-) - 50 / Late inning arm

2020 Graduate: Luis Robert (1) - 2020 Projection 70 / Elite two-way center fielder with speed and pop.

2020 Top Ten not in 2021 Top Ten: Luis Alexander Basabe (7); Zach Collins (8); Gavin Sheets (9); Lenyn Sosa (10). 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Baseball Prospectus posted their Top 10 White Sox Prospect list, which I haven't seen posted here.

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/prospects/article/63146/2021-prospects-chicago-white-sox-top-10-prospects/

2020 Graduate: Luis Robert (1) - 2020 Projection 70 / Elite two-way center fielder with speed and pop.

2020 Top Ten not in 2021 Top Ten: Luis Alexander Basabe (7); Zach Collins (8); Gavin Sheets (9); Lenyn Sosa (10). 

That's.....a list. 

30 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Not gonna lie. I have no idea who or what an Avery Weems is. 

If you remember the 2019 draft, we went big with vaughn/thompson/dalquist/beard then the rest of our 10 rounds were a lot of seniors or budget signings due to those four taking all the budget.

Weems was our 6th rounder, a senior our of AZ, but he was ranked 431 by BA, so that inflates a bit where he was pictured to go. He did do great, but he was a 22 year old in Rookie and Great Falls. 

Here was his scouting reporT:

Ranked #431 prospect in 2017 draft
An Arizona commit, Weems is from the northern part of the state, in Flagstaff, where he dominated as a prep. As a freshman, he was a midweek starter as Yavapai won the NJCAA World Series, and he made a leap as a sophomore, tossing five (seven-inning) complete games and striking out 12 per nine. He gets most of his whiffs with either an average fastball, which can sit 87-91 mph and touch 92 at times. His fastball has some sink while his breaking ball, a hard slider, can show some depth and flash above-average. Weems has improved his delivery, staying taller, keeping the ball and down and getting ground ball outs when he isn't missing bats.

From instructionals, the "unknown" guy we started hearing about was Carranza, so this kinda comes out of no where and I just have a hard time believing this dude is really noteworthy now unless he found a bunch of velocity and...I don't trust BP would have been tipped off on that.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

Hoping MLB loses the Senne case and have to pay all of the minor league players they refused to pay even minimum wage to.

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/article/62717/senne-v-mlb-could-bring-change-to-milb-players-from-past-present-and-future/

"Let those players go on food stamps, I need another billion before I croak."

AR-160509236.jpg&updated=201605060723&Ma

Also I wanted to say that I see people are shitting on Phil Rogers again in another thread.  I believe it was BA that Phil Rogers used to write for back in the "man-child" Juan Silverio days, where Phil the dipshit would call up Dave Wilder and just start writing down whatever he was told, then post it in the prospects list.

5 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

I know the focus is on Weems but the biggest stretch in that list is Madrigal as a better prospect than Vaughn, Crochet, and Kopech.  IMO it's arguable he should also be below Dunning, Stiever & Kelly (I would probably rank him that way).

Here, let me like this post twice for Harold and I

29 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

I know the focus is on Weems but the biggest stretch in that list is Madrigal as a better prospect than Vaughn, Crochet, and Kopech.  IMO it's arguable he should also be below Dunning, Stiever & Kelly (I would probably rank him that way).

People that love Madrigal--Rankings--40 by MLB Pipeline, 48 by Baseball America, 41 by Fangraphs ,13 on Baseball Prospectus...Longenhagen, USA Today baseball, Rotowire, FutureSox, college scouts, minor league scouts, White Sox management.   People that hate Madrigal...Keith Law (hates all White Sox players) Soxtalk (hates all white sox players).  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

People that love Madrigal--Rankings--40 by MLB Pipeline, 48 by Baseball America, 41 by Fangraphs ,13 on Baseball Prospectus...Longenhagen, USA Today baseball, Rotowire, FutureSox, college scouts, minor league scouts, White Sox management.   People that hate Madrigal...Keith Law (hates all White Sox players) Soxtalk (hates all white sox players).  

I hope there is another team out there who values both Madrigal and Weems so highly and is also willing to trade young players and prospects.  If there is, I want to make a deal with that team now.

6 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I love the optimism of these valuations, but Avery Weems a 50 FV prospect?

1 hour ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Don't forget to include Fathom/Jack Parkman specifically...and Greg is skeptical because the one player who can bunt against the infield shift isn't interesting enough I guess.

I do remember he (Madrigal) was getting murdered by doubters because of his quite pedestrian numbers after his first limited exposure to pro ball...seems he just never was 100% with all the lingering injuries that season.

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Don't forget to include Fathom/Jack Parkman specifically...and Greg is skeptical because the one player who can bunt against the infield shift isn't interesting enough I guess.

And Zack Hample, who knows he will never catch a Madrigal homer.