Kyle Schwarber signs with Nationals: 1 year 10mil

Buehrle>Wood

13 minutes ago, runtheballdown said:

As much as I liked Jim thome I can remember most of the time when he came up to bat in the later innings in a key situation that the other team brought in their lefty and it was usually a strikeout.

It would be worse than thome with schwarber. He’s brutal.

Well, like, omg, yeaaaah. Teams try their best to win games. The key is to have guys that are plus players over a period of time. And Schwarber would bat 7th in our lineup at best next year, so we don't need him to be a clutch star. 

Just now, SonofaRoache said:

Well, like, omg, yeaaaah. Teams try their best to win games. The key is to have guys that are plus players over a period of time. And Schwarber would bat 7th in our lineup at best next year, so we don't need him to be a clutch star. 

Depending on Eloy to stay healthy all year is scary. Schwarber makes a ton of sense if Vaughn isn’t up until halfway through the season.

Would have np signing Joc, Schwarber, Dahl all to 1-3 year deals depending on AAV. 

Some good left handed bats, you can never have too many bats in the long gruelling season!

These guys cost so little, only issue would be how many roster spots do we have

Just now, fathom said:

Assuming Moncada recovers, there’s no reason it shouldn’t be Timmy, Moncada, Abreu and Eloy for the next two seasons.

Agree.  I don't want to see Grandal hit higher than 5th going forward.  Robert can climb into the middle of the order the more he acclimates and excels.

18 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

Agree.  I don't want to see Grandal hit higher than 5th going forward.  Robert can climb into the middle of the order the more he acclimates and excels.

This makes no sense. His primary worth on offense is standing like a statute and drawing walks, secondary is for the times he does swing he connects enough times to hit home runs. He is third on the team in OBP, and fourth in OPS. Second makes most sense, to allow others to knock him in. If he bats 5th or 6th, his walks don't score nearly enough.

Proposed lineup / Career OPS

1. (R) Anderson .751 
  2. (L) Grandal .793
  3. (R) Abreu .870
  4. (R) Jimenez .848
  5. (L) Moncada .783
  6. (R) Robert .738
  7. TBD RF/DH
  8. TBD RF/DH
  9. (R) Madrigal .745

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

This makes no sense. His primary worth on offense is standing like a statute and drawing walks, secondary is for the times he does swing he connects enough times to hit home runs. He is third on the team in OBP, and fourth in OPS. Second makes most sense, to allow others to knock him in. If he bats 5th or 6th, his walks don't score nearly enough.

Proposed lineup / Career OPS

1. (R) Anderson .751 
  2. (L) Grandal .793
  3. (R) Abreu .870
  4. (R) Jimenez .848
  5. (L) Moncada .783
  6. (R) Robert .738
  7. TBD RF/DH
  8. TBD RF/DH
  9. (R) Madrigal .745

I don't want to derail this thread any further, but Moncada's speed, power, and elite eye can do everything you want Grandal to do batting 2nd without clogging the order or making lazy outs ahead of the heart of the order.  He also scores from 1st on anything in the gaps or into the corners.  He's my 2 hitter every day he's healthy and on the field.  Grandal can stand like a statue working walks lower in the order after the Sox put a few across the plate ahead of him. 

Edited by SouthWallace
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

I don't want to derail this thread any further, but Moncada's speed, power, and elite eye can do everything you want Grandal to do batting 2nd without clogging the order or making lazy outs ahead of the heart of the order.  He also scores from 1st on anything in the gaps or into the corners.  He's my 2 hitter every day he's healthy and on the field.  Grandal can stand like a statue working walks lower in the order after the Sox put a across the plate ahead of him. 

This. I also expect Yoan to bounce back this year. I wouldn't be surprised if he posts an OBP similar to Grandal's. Moncada should be our 2-hole hitter.

13 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

I don't want to derail this thread any further, but Moncada's speed, power, and elite eye can do everything you want Grandal to do batting 2nd without clogging the order or making lazy outs ahead of the heart of the order.  He also scores from 1st on anything in the gaps or into the corners.  He's my 2 hitter every day he's healthy and on the field.  Grandal can stand like a statue working walks lower in the order after the Sox put a few across the plate ahead of him. 

These are good points. I do expect Moncada to have a better season next year, and looking at the splits, Moncada should bat second over Grandal against RH Starters. Career OPS Splits presented below:

Versus RHP: (R) Anderson .709; (L) Moncada .813; (R) Abreu .853; (R) Jimenez .864; (L) Grandal .797; (R) Robert .718; DH/RF; DH/RF; & (R) Madrigal .821.

Versus LHP: (R) Anderson .869; (R) Grandal .781; (R) Abreu .927; (R) Jimenez .801; (R) Robert .807; Moncada .702; DH/RF; DH/RF; Madrigal .455 (small sample size 22 ABs).

It would be pretty disappointing if the Sox don't acquire a bat good enough to bump Grandal further down the order against rhp. Plug in Pederson at five leave Robert at 6 and put Grandal at 7.  Might as well bump Robert up to the two spot against lefties as well. Ought to give him the best protection possible. Grandal should be sufficient at the fifth spot there. I'm guessing Vaughn will tear up lefties though and bumps him to 6. Ideally Grandal ends up batting in 6th to 8th spot. He's a pretty good hitter for a catcher but he's not that good.

Edited by Vulture

• 1 month later...
On 12/8/2020 at 5:14 AM, Vulture said:

It would be pretty disappointing if the Sox don't acquire a bat good enough to bump Grandal further down the order against rhp. Plug in Pederson at five leave Robert at 6 and put Grandal at 7.  Might as well bump Robert up to the two spot against lefties as well. Ought to give him the best protection possible. Grandal should be sufficient at the fifth spot there. I'm guessing Vaughn will tear up lefties though and bumps him to 6. Ideally Grandal ends up batting in 6th to 8th spot. He's a pretty good hitter for a catcher but he's not that good.

I know our lineup construction will be much improved with TL.  Not to worry!

• Like 1