Kyle Schwarber signs with Nationals: 1 year 10mil

Buehrle>Wood

2 hours ago, bmags said:

You guys are really mad that cubs fans got excited about a hitter that came up and performed great in big playoff games.

What, I'm supposed to be impressed because he hit a homerun that stayed on the scoreboard? Fuck that guy. Once a Cub, always a Cub. I don't want him anywhere near my team. 

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin
Cubs suck
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

What, I'm supposed to be impressed because he hit a homerun that stayed on the scoreboard? Fuck that guy. Once a Cub, always a Cub. I don't want him anywhere near my team. 

Silly Cubsession. Here's a few Cubs who later played well for the White Sox.

Eloy Jimenez

s-l640.jpg

Oscar Gamble

5373619_orig.jpg

Dennis Lamp

4d1d4932607a1_191322n.jpg

Steve Stone

StoneSteve.jpg

Jon Garland

jon+garland.jpg

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, wrathofhahn said:

Do they? He played high A ball last year why are we so sure they plan on plugging him day 1 or in two weeks? I am not.

Schwarber is likely gonna get a one year deal I am fine with giving Vaughn another year at AA and AAA you still have the option of calling him up if he is playing well and/or Schwarber struggles.

What is clear is our internal options prior to Vaughn suck and we are about to lose our best DH last year which comically was our backup catcher. Fangraphs had our OPS collectively last year as .570 at the DH position

It is tough to say. Yeah it is true that vaughn only played high A ball and he also was good but not super dominant there (good K/bb rate but power just ok and ops of 830 is good but not spectacular and doesn't warrant a direct promotion).

However the scouting reports are all very high on him and he also looked very solid in spring and summer training.

You could definitely justify keeping him down half a year as an 800 ops in A ball is not a concern but also not forcing you to skip AA an AAA but I think here you can trust the scouting reports that he likely will be at least above average right away when he comes to the majors and hold his own due to his very solid plate discipline and mature approach.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Calling someone overrated means I’m mad?

I guess I’m not really impressed calling someone overrated after they’ve been non tendered? Nobody has overrated Schwarber for years. If you were on this in 2015 maybe it would be more interesting. It’s pretty easy to understand why people were infatuated with him.

He performed really well really young and they thought he’d get better - but he got worse.

But as it is he’s still a good bat, and cheap. 

13 minutes ago, bmags said:

I guess I’m not really impressed calling someone overrated after they’ve been non tendered? Nobody has overrated Schwarber for years. If you were on this in 2015 maybe it would be more interesting. It’s pretty easy to understand why people were infatuated with him.

He performed really well really young and they thought he’d get better - but he got worse.

But as it is he’s still a good bat, and cheap. 

Saying that “nobody has overrated Schwarber for years” is a completely untrue statement and it’s an impressively condescending comment to make.  I guess all my friends, family, coworkers, etc. from Chicago who have been hyping him up as a star hitter until the day he was non-tendered don’t count.  I guess the national media writing tons of articles already trying to place Schwarber in free agency like he’s some hot ticket, while very few if any are talking about a superior player in Joc Pederson don’t count.  People have overrated Kyle Schwarber for years because he impressed as a rookie and had some big playoff moments.  That doesn’t make him a great hitter though, it makes a good platoon bat who is a questionable defensive fit on the field.  None of this angers me, nor am I trying to “impress” anyone by saying he is overrated.  I’m simply stating my opinion because we’re on a Sox message and I think some Sox fans have partially bought into the “Babe” hype.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Saying that “nobody has overrated Schwarber for years” is a completely untrue statement and it’s an impressively condescending comment to make.  I guess all my friends, family, coworkers, etc. from Chicago who have been hyping him up as a star hitter until the day he was non-tendered don’t count.  I guess the national media writing tons of articles already trying to place Schwarber in free agency like he’s some hot ticket, while very few if any are talking about a superior player in Joc Pederson don’t count.  People have overrated Kyle Schwarber for years because he impressed as a rookie and had some big playoff moments.  That doesn’t make him a great hitter though, it makes a good platoon bat who is a questionable defensive fit on the field.  None of this angers me, nor am I trying to “impress” anyone by saying he is overrated.  I’m simply stating my opinion because we’re on a Sox message and I think some Sox fans have partially bought into the “Babe

living in Chicago, I don’t hear people talk about Schwarber like this anymore. Mostly frustrated that he stalled like the rest did.

Schwarber was a surprise non tender, mlb writers wrote about. It all seems pretty normal.

Schwarber may not be a starting outfielder, but he’s a pretty good DH candidate.

9 hours ago, Flash said:

A better question to ask is why didn't he get a look this year? 

Organizational stubbornness and a desire to fail conventionally (with a vet like EE) as opposed to an untraditional player like Yermin. One can’t empirically prove that Yermin is a AAAA player. Perhaps we’ll never know.