Rodon and Mazara Non-Tendered

KrankinSox

On 12/3/2020 at 6:35 AM, Sleepy Harold said:

To be fair, the reply in that first tweet was to someone who has gone out of his way to talk shit to Rodon on multiple platforms (also to Welington Castillo, but that's besides the point). Went after him on an Instagram family pic before (and publicized it like it was cool), and whatever was said here. I don't blame her for lashing out at this idiot.

She can defend her husband and family, that is fine. 

Edited by SonofaRoache

17 hours ago, poppysox said:

Coop once had the touch but seems to have lost it.

He'd been around for soooooo long...it was inevitable the game would move beyond him.  This is especially true with an "old school" guy like Coop who never really committed to new technologies, strategies, and pitching theories.  Ya know, kind of like the 93yo manager we just hired.  

I'm expecting Katz to reinvigorate a career or two in short order.  He's hungry, is "new school", and has been empowered by the FO to do whatever needs to be done.  Love it.

1 minute ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

He'd been around for soooooo long...it was inevitable the game would move beyond him.  This is especially true with an "old school" guy like Coop who never really committed to new technologies, strategies, and pitching theories.  Ya know, kind of like the 93yo manager we just hired.  

I'm expecting Katz to reinvigorate a career or two in short order.  He's hungry, is "new school", and has been empowered by the FO to do whatever needs to be done.  Love it.

Or the team that got to the ALCS after losing their top 2 pitchers and their stud manager

1 hour ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

I was like everyone else, stunned when they dumped Coop. But it was time. You look at Lopez, he's not getting better. I think they were afraid of the same thing happening to Cease, and perhaps Kopech. Of course there were injuries, but Rodon didn't really develop.  Giolito got better, but went to outside help, ironically, Coop's replacement. They all said the right things, but it was pretty obivous, a change was needed.

Edited by Dick Allen

• 6 months later...

I never understood how all the GM's missed on him. I thought it was crazy that he only could get $3mm or whatever the number was. His upside v. signing a Lester or a Trevor Williams if youre the Nats/Cubs was so insanely different. One had upside, one doesn't. 

I've driven the Rodon bandwagon for a long time, even during his bad times. I continue to cheer for him and even despite his injury risk, hope we can find a way to work out a 4 year type agreement at like $10mm a year. Think it represents a healthy price for a guy who should continue to have the upside we see balanced by injury risk. When healthy and good - (current run) he's every bit of a top stuff guy in the league deserving of $20mm a year. However that injury risk will always be there. Giving a 3-4 year deal would seem to balance upside, downside, length, price, etc. etc. to where it could be a win for all parties. 

Either way we'll have some decisions to make with Lynn and Rodon with Kopech and Crochet probably ready for their next step in 2022. 

On 12/2/2020 at 4:06 PM, Vulture said:

Not sure that's true. Fastball is by far the most common pitch on a strikeout which suggests secondary pitches set up the fast ball more often than not. Of course it varies from pitcher to pitcher

Exactly just look at Cease . His fastball hasn't changed much from the last few years to this year but what has changed is the knuckle curve.  Maybe the command of the FB is better and that makes  some difference but his K rate was plummeting without being able to throw any other pitch for strikes consistently. Now with the Knuckle curve and slider can be combined as  tandem pitches . Then he can just as easily further throw you off balance with a change up.

Off course the spin rate for all his pitches is higher also but he's just throwing more strikes with more pitches. He's throwing the same pitches at the same frequency as last year.

I’m hardly the first to say this, but Rodon’s problem was always health—plain and simple.  I’ve always kind of assumed that if Rodon could put together a full season 100% healthy it would be a successful season from a pitching perspective.  So whether to bet on Rodon was really a medical question more than a baseball one.  So far so good (knocking on every wood surface I can find). I felt the same way about Kluber, though I’m now glad we didn’t make that losing bet.

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

To be fair, the Rodon signing thread is WAY more positive.

Yea I remember talking about Rodon a lot and I have nothing in this thread.  I know I was doubtful he'd get a MLB deal and if the Sox didn't sign him maybe all he would've got would be a minor league contract. Any differences the 2 sides may have had in the past were quickly rectified ( if they existed at all) by $3M  and the hiring of Katz.

22 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

I never understood how all the GM's missed on him. I thought it was crazy that he only could get $3mm or whatever the number was. His upside v. signing a Lester or a Trevor Williams if youre the Nats/Cubs was so insanely different. One had upside, one doesn't. 

I've driven the Rodon bandwagon for a long time, even during his bad times. I continue to cheer for him and even despite his injury risk, hope we can find a way to work out a 4 year type agreement at like $10mm a year. Think it represents a healthy price for a guy who should continue to have the upside we see balanced by injury risk. When healthy and good - (current run) he's every bit of a top stuff guy in the league deserving of $20mm a year. However that injury risk will always be there. Giving a 3-4 year deal would seem to balance upside, downside, length, price, etc. etc. to where it could be a win for all parties. 

Either way we'll have some decisions to make with Lynn and Rodon with Kopech and Crochet probably ready for their next step in 2022. 

If things continue the way they are for Carlos, Mr. Boras is very likely to land him a better deal than this.  

3 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I’m hardly the first to say this, but Rodon’s problem was always health—plain and simple.  I’ve always kind of assumed that if Rodon could put together a full season 100% healthy it would be a successful season from a pitching perspective.  So whether to bet on Rodon was really a medical question more than a baseball one.  So far so good (knocking on every wood surface I can find). I felt the same way about Kluber, though I’m now glad we didn’t make that losing bet.

If it were out there, I would absolutely pound a betting line that has Rodon on the DL this season.  I would love to see him make it, but I have very little doubt that he will spend some time hurt this season.

4 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I think Carlos also took his talent for granted and didn't work on his body enough. I think he convinced the Sox that he was in the best shape of his life and would be willing to work with Katz on changes to resurrect his career. It would be nice if when Rodon reaches Free Agency that he at least give the Sox a chance to match any offer he gets if he's stay healthy of course. Long way to go.

5 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

If things continue the way they are for Carlos, Mr. Boras is very likely to land him a better deal than this.  

I think that's in the ball park.

My first thought is things won't continue the same way for Carlos. I mean how could they ? There's just no way he can keep this up for 150+ innings if anyone is expecting Lynn and him to be the 1 and 2 starting pitchers in the playoffs. Even at number 3 that's a lot of innings for a guy who pitched 42 innings in the last 2 years combined. If he does keep it up for 150 innings + I'll be extremely impressed .

8 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

He will definitely be an interesting case. As much as I've always liked him, there's a certain walkaway price, especially with our arms waiting in the wings + the lynn debate and price. My guess is you can/will sign one of Lynn and Rodon. Lynn is still dominate, but people will bring up his age. Rodon can be dominate and people will bring up his health. I haven't a clue what either of those guys will go for. My guess is something like 4 years for both guys. And I think $10-14mm is reasonable on both. Given the same price I'd take Lynn in a heartbeat. Not sure I'd go much over $10mm on Rodon, maybe a few ticks up on a 3 year deal. 

11 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

I think his injury history will stop him from getting to the top end, but there is definitely room above those numbers if he can stay even relatively healthy.

On 12/2/2020 at 8:46 PM, southsider2k5 said:

2014 was a helluva draft.  #1 pick Brady Aiken, out of baseball.  #2 Tyler Kolek, released. # 3 pick Carlos Rodon and #4 pick Kyle Schwarber nontendered

Best guy from that draft so far was Patrick Mahomes, round 37! 😂