Innings

Leonard Zelig

What is a realistic number of innings to expect from starting pitchers next season?  Assuming a 162 game schedule, MLB pitchers will have to get through over 1400 innings.  Even if there is a shortened 130  game season, there are still over 1150 innings.  Allowing for the bullpen to go 4 innings every game, that leaves around 800 or 650 innings for starting pitchers to complete in the above scenarios.  

Lance Lynn led MLB with 84 IP and was one of only 3 pitchers who threw 80.  Only 17 pitchers threw 70.  How much of an effect will the short 2020 season have on starters’ stamina in 2021?

Below is the number of innings pitched for the past 3 seasons for what I assume would be the Sox 2021 rotation based on who is on the roster at this time.  What should we expect from our guys?  Obviously we are all hoping for additions to the rotation, but any addition with have limited innings pitched last season too.  I know all teams are in a similar position, but I think the Sox are going to need to acquire 2 SPs and everyone will still be able to get their share of innings.

20      19     18

Giolito           72    176    173

Keuchel        63     112    204

Cease           58        73    124

Dunning      34         ??       86

Lopez           26      184    188

1 minute ago, Leonard Zelig said:

What is a realistic number of innings to expect from starting pitchers next season?  Assuming a 162 game schedule, MLB pitchers will have to get through over 1400 innings.  Even if there is a shortened 130  game season, there are still over 1150 innings.  Allowing for the bullpen to go 4 innings every game, that leaves around 800 or 650 innings for starting pitchers to complete in the above scenarios.  

Lance Lynn led MLB with 84 IP and was one of only 3 pitchers who threw 80.  Only 17 pitchers threw 70.  How much of an effect will the short 2020 season have on starters’ stamina in 2021?

Below is the number of innings pitched for the past 3 seasons for what I assume would be the Sox 2021 rotation based on who is on the roster at this time.  What should we expect from our guys?  Obviously we are all hoping for additions to the rotation, but any addition with have limited innings pitched last season too.  I know all teams are in a similar position, but I think the Sox are going to need to acquire 2 SPs and everyone will still be able to get their share of innings.

20      19     18

Giolito           72    176    173

Keuchel        63     112    204

Cease           58        73    124

Dunning      34         ??       86

Lopez           26      184    188

Dunning had zero in 2019 because he was shut down for TJS during Spring Training. 

I do not think that MLB will have fans until postseason play at the earliest, so I do not expect a full season in 2021. I think there will be 100 games maximum in 2021. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

15 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Dunning had zero in 2019 because he was shut down for TJS during Spring Training. 

I do not think that MLB will have fans until postseason play at the earliest, so I do not expect a full season in 2021. I think there will be 100 games maximum in 2021. 

Here we go again lol

21 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

Here we go again lol

I choose to be conservative about this stuff until proven otherwise. 

It would be really stupid to have fans until we've had enough vaccinations to reach herd immunity, unless you have to provide proof of vaccination or something, which given the state of the country I have no doubt it would go over well with the public.............lol. 

But even beyond that, it is possible that the MLB owners want to protect their pitchers and have a 100 game season to stretch guys for 2022. They can point to the rash of pitcher injuries in 2020 and argue that it's in the best interest of player safety. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

Nobody cares About your opinions Jack.

Can pitchers handle a full workload? Thats the question

Probably not, which is even more of an argument for a 100 or 120 game season than the financial stuff....a lot of pitchers broke because they didn't have a full spring training for a 60 game season. They might have to build up for a couple seasons: 

2021: 100 games

2022: 120-140 games

2023: Back to 162

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 2

Assuming health and a full season, innings based on previous maximums and age:

• No restrictions: Giolito, Keuchel & Lopez - No inning restrictions, 30-32 starts
  • 160-200 Innings - Perhaps a few scheduled skipped starts: Cease (144 IP Max in 2019); Dunning (144 in 2017 minors); and Kopech (141 in 2018 AAA/CWS)

Kopech is the wild card based on health, would expect the strictest limit on him among the three with possible restrictions. They will likely be very conservative with Crochet, perhaps a 100-120 max if he has a starter/relief mix, much less if relief only. I don't think Stiever will pitch for the White Sox in 2021 beyond a similar emergency situation.

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Assuming health and a full season, innings based on previous maximums and age:

• No restrictions: Giolito, Keuchel & Lopez - No inning restrictions, 30-32 starts
  • 160-200 Innings - Perhaps a few scheduled skipped starts: Cease (144 IP Max in 2019); Dunning (144 in 2017 minors); and Kopech (141 in 2018 AAA/CWS)

Kopech is the wild card based on health, would expect the strictest limit on him among the three with possible restrictions. They will likely be very conservative with Crochet, perhaps a 100-120 max if he has a starter/relief mix, much less if relief only. I don't think Stiever will pitch for the White Sox in 2021 beyond a similar emergency situation.

Do Dunning’s 2017 innings matter after his last 3 years?

12 hours ago, Leonard Zelig said:

Do Dunning’s 2017 innings matter after his last 3 years?

No, same with Kopich. However listing his max previous innings for frame of reference.

I don't agree with your assessment the White Sox need to acquire two more SP at this point. I would try to get one quality starter, see how the first four months go with Katz and any development from Cease, Lopez and others, and if there is still a need in July, seek a trade at that point for a second starter.

If you get quality innings out of the six mentioned in my post, you cover most innings, but always prudent to cover for injuries or regression.

If Jerry is only allowing one free agent(s):

• #3/#4 SP 
  • RF
  • 8th/9th RP
  • LF (Eloy to DH)
  • SP (Lottery ticket like a Garrett Richards)

Outside of perhaps one or two KMart blue light specials, I don't expect Jerry to spend this off season.