Len Kasper is new White Sox radio play by play announcer

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What’s funny is there is some truth to this?  Part of being a Cubs fan was the desire to be there when they finally ended the drought?  Now that losing may not be so lovable and with a highly likable / competing Sox club (ignoring TLR), the sides could really shift in Chicago if the Ricketts aren’t careful.

I absolutely think there is truth to this.  I'm not really making fun of that tweet as much as I'm like "damn you see what's happening over there?"

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tony said:

It’s a fantastic hire by both 1000 and the White Sox. He’s a great broadcaster and to your point, Farmer and DJ were just not an enjoyable listen. 

The Sox have put together a very, VERY strong broadcasting lineup. 

The fact that Passan is OK with this would seem to indicate that Kasper has a clean driving record. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

7 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

If Bennetti goes I will be so happy.  The sooner he's out of here the better.

Re: Kasper, I like him, but he's more the national type than the typical Chicago-style homer.  On the radio I think he might work very well.

I like the guy who does the PBP for the Charlotte Knights games.  He would be an excellent replacement for Bennetti.  Also I liked the guy who did some of the Sox ST games last year.  I bet there are lots of good PBP guys in MiLB that can focus on the game of baseball properly.  Bennetti is such a dork.  And all his big calls suck.  I'm not going to rant about this but seriously, if he has any aspirations of increasing his national time, great, go do it, good riddance, GTFO of here already.

Russ Langer was good on the spring games. No use for DJ. Benetti meh. Get me Bill Walton. 

• Fire 1

I thought Benetti was so much better last year than when I’ve heard him in the past. Still a little corny and needs to work on his HR call, but really solid.

I haven’t heard much of DJ recently, but I always found him really awkward. He doesn’t “yes, and” much, so a lot of potential conversation dies when met with his silence.

I know Kasper is a Chicago media darling, but my impression has always been that he is a “radio voice” guy. His delivery is very off putting. I guess it’s good publicity locally, but if he’s interviewed, he’ll probably be asked about the Cubs rather than Sox.

I always found ways to dislike Kasper as I hate the cubs.  If you do not think that the White Sox have the best tv/radio combo in sports, not just baseball we will have to agree to disagree.  I think working with Stone is hard and Benetti is getting better at it.  Dj and Kasper will be an amazing listen.

I would love for the Sox to do what Harry Cary used to do and move between the tv and radio booth during the game.  

Also will add a great resource to Soxfest. 

This is a major blow to the SCORE as he seemed to be on there often.

• Like 2

Am I the only one wondering what's behind this?  Hoping to know more, soon. Some kind of beef between Len and Marquee?   Andy's still on-air at WGN, so he has work, that's good.  He was about as terse as Farmer doing PBP.  That wasn't good.  I'm not a big fan of Benetti, either.  Too much non-baseball drivel.  Stone's voice can be irritating and he talks too much.  You're probably thinking that I'm a dark cloud who thinks the last Sox announcer he liked was Joe McConnell.

Well, maybe, just maybe you're right.  Maybe.

3 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

I always found ways to dislike Kasper as I hate the cubs.  If you do not think that the White Sox have the best tv/radio combo in sports, not just baseball we will have to agree to disagree.  I think working with Stone is hard and Benetti is getting better at it.  Dj and Kasper will be an amazing listen.

I would love for the Sox to do what Harry Cary used to do and move between the tv and radio booth during the game.  

Also will add a great resource to Soxfest. 

This is a major blow to the SCORE as he seemed to be on there often.

I mean, do the Cardinals still have John Rooney?

4 minutes ago, Stinky Stanky said:

Am I the only one wondering what's behind this?  Hoping to know more, soon. Some kind of beef between Len and Marquee?   Andy's still on-air at WGN, so he has work, that's good.  He was about as terse as Farmer doing PBP.  That wasn't good.  I'm not a big fan of Benetti, either.  Too much non-baseball drivel.  Stone's voice can be irritating and he talks too much.  You're probably thinking that I'm a dark cloud who thinks the last Sox announcer he liked was Joe McConnell.

Well, maybe, just maybe you're right.  Maybe.

Marquee must suck to work for, maybe he got sick of the ties, the politics or working for Ricketts. He’s also 49, so maybe he wanted a change of scenery to do something different with a different ball club. He could have gotten more money, but maybe he just wanted to call a World Series game.

11 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Marquee must suck to work for, maybe he got sick of the ties, the politics or working for Ricketts. He’s also 49, so maybe he wanted a change of scenery to do something different with a different ball club. He could have gotten more money, but maybe he just wanted to call a World Series game.

Chances are he took a pay cut. Radio doesn’t generate anywhere near the revenue of TV.  It could be as simple as he wanted to do radio and a possible WS at some time or maybe there were issues. The ties were ridiculous.

14 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I mean, do the Cardinals still have John Rooney?

I include Stone and DJ in this.....I guess I just don't think there is any weakness in the four guys and they all bring up the level of the broadcasting team to a national level.

I think Kasper becomes more national now under the ESPN umbrella.

The White Sox went from arguably the worst announcing group in baseball to one of the best rather quickly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Merkin and Garfein saying shit like, "this is bigger than any FA and should make sox fans just as excited." 

Already setting it up to do the classic Jerry. Invest in everything but players. 

Yeah, that is scary. I think I have listened to less than 2 games total on the radio the last 5 years. Only when I am driving some place and the game is on. So this doesn’t really do much for me.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Chances are he took a pay cut. Radio doesn’t generate anywhere near the revenue of TV.  It could be as simple as he wanted to do radio and a possible WS at some time or maybe there were issues. The ties were ridiculous.

Am I naïve to think that there are opportunities with ESPN on a national level with this move?  Whether it is ESPN 1000 or the flagship in Bristol.

I would really like to know who initiated this move as his contract for Marquee had to be for more than one year......didn't it? 

Chris Myers replacing him it appears so maybe Len was pushed out. 

Edited by Harry Chappas

3 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

I include Stone and DJ in this.....I guess I just don't think there is any weakness in the four guys and they all bring up the level of the broadcasting team to a national level.

I think Kasper becomes more national now under the ESPN umbrella.

The White Sox went from arguably the worst announcing group in baseball to one of the best rather quickly.

DJ is awful

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Merkin and Garfein saying shit like, "this is bigger than any FA and should make sox fans just as excited." 

Already setting it up to do the classic Jerry. Invest in everything but players. 

Theyre just media people being media people excited about their own.

11 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Yeah, that is scary. I think I have listened to less than 2 games total on the radio the last 5 years. Only when I am driving some place and the game is on. So this doesn’t really do much for me.

Yeah, its whatever. Certainly not as big as a major FA like these morons are implying, 

• Like 1