Len Kasper is new White Sox radio play by play announcer

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Cool, I've never tuned into a baseball game for an announcer. 

I haven't either, but I've turned them off due to the announcer.  The Sox have two great PBP announcers now.  Both TV and radio should be good listens.

• Like 1

Just now, hogan873 said:

I haven't either, but I've turned them off due to the announcer.  The Sox have two great PBP announcers now.  Both TV and radio should be good listens.

Farmer and DJ were so bad you literally didn't know what was happening often and it took nothing away from my white sox experience and took nothing away from the world series.

Id prefer we spend money on things that actually matter regarding the quality of baseball product.

Kasper is fine but this celebration by sox fans is beyond weird.

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Farmer and DJ were so bad you literally didn't know what was happening often and it took nothing away from my white sox experience and took nothing away from the world series.

Id prefer we spend money on things that actually matter regarding the quality of baseball product.

I'll agree with that.  I think a lot of is is because he was the Cubs announcer, and this was really unexpected.  If we're getting this excited about a radio announcer, imagine the excitement when (if) the Sox sign a big FA or swing a major trade that significantly improves the team.

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Farmer and DJ didn't do the world series.  The White Sox radio World Series calls are more memorable because of who called them.  

This helps with the production and potential ancillary entertainment off the field for the team.  Also puts a potential asset of the White Sox organization on the national stage with ESPN ala Tom Waddle. 

This isn't even a White Sox hire and beyond die hards is not even news. 

I think there is too much being read into Merkin and Garfein other than it adds a great asset to the White Sox brand and certainly hurts the cub and Marquee brand.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tony said:

R

E

L

A

X

Perhaps my initial reaction was a tad hyperbolic and meat headed, I can own that.  I find Kasper insufferable and this announcement was a bit of a slap in the face by ESPN.  To me he is bland monotony steeped in Cubs homerism, and that will now be calling Sox games.  For those that think he is good, what makes him so good?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We discuss the new food options at the stadium. Those don’t impact winning either, but it’s part of being a sox fan (if local). So are the announcers. It’s ok to like it.

And the conspiracies of the beat writers as if members of the PR team, as opposed to dudes that are just constantly cheerleaders, is so silly.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Been a sox fan long enough now to know that tweets like this are more than being excited for a fellow media member. 

Now this is really disappointing.  One day they are telling us World Series or bust and now its that an announcer is the most exciting thing we will do this winter?  I feel like Charlie Brown with the football. 

8 hours ago, fathom said:

I would bet in a few years, Benetti moves up in the world and Kasper takes the TV gig. Meanwhile, it’s a nice problem to have for now.

Up in the world?  Where is there to go up from calling games for the team that you've been a fan for all your life and is a defending back to back world series winner!!  Circa 2024. :)

Benetti is our Vin Scully!!!

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

Kasper is awesome but I never listen to the radio broadcasts so selfishly I really don't care ha.

This is mostly me but weekend day games I usually need to do house work so radio is easier. I used to laugh at DJ and Farmers bizarre humor but this will be enjoyable to know what is happening in the game

• Like 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Now this is really disappointing.  One day they are telling us that an announcer is the most exciting thing we will do this winter?  I feel like Charlie Brown with the football. 

Now we know why Frank Menechino said "World Series or bust!"

Kidding, but the tweets insinuating that this is the biggest news the Sox will have this off season are either misinterpreted or irresponsible.  Hopefully...

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

We discuss the new food options at the stadium. Those don’t impact winning either, but it’s part of being a sox fan (if local). So are the announcers. It’s ok to like it.

And the conspiracies of the beat writers as if members of the PR team, as opposed to dudes that are just constantly cheerleaders, is so silly.

This is a really good point.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

This is mostly me but weekend day games I usually need to do house work so radio is easier. I used to laugh at DJ and Farmers bizarre humor but this will be enjoyable to know what is happening in the game

Thought I was the only one.  @Kyyle23 and @Brian always used to give me crap because the few times a year I did listen to the radio games I found them enjoyable.

• Like 2

I'm just glad the Sox did this under the radar so that we did not have the constant disagreement here about whether we should acquire Kasper and my losing sleep over the Padres/Phillies coming in at the last moment to steal him away. :cool:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

Perhaps my initial reaction was a tad hyperbolic and meat headed, I can own that.  I find Kasper insufferable and this announcement was a bit of a slap in the face by ESPN.  To me he is bland monotony steeped in Cubs homerism, and that will now be calling Sox games.  For those that think he is good, what makes him so good?

I like the "homerism".