Len Kasper is new White Sox radio play by play announcer

Just now, Rowand44 said:

Thought I was the only one.  @Kyyle23 and @Brian always used to give me crap because the few times a year I did listen to the radio games I found them enjoyable.

It took a while, but it grew on me. It was such an Odd Couple vibe, that I wasn't sure at first that they even liked each other, but eventually that smoothed out.

• Thanks 1

Does everybody have an opinion on everything? 

I haven't listened actively ever to Len Kasper. I'm sure i've had him in the background, but never really listened. 

This will come into play for like 5 innings, of 10 games total while I drive somewhere ... so however it works out, it works out. 

3 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Does everybody have an opinion on everything? 

I haven't listened actively ever to Len Kasper. I'm sure i've had him in the background, but never really listened. 

This will come into play for like 5 innings, of 10 games total while I drive somewhere ... so however it works out, it works out. 

It's Soxtalk...so YES!!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

Thought I was the only one.  @Kyyle23 and @Brian always used to give me crap because the few times a year I did listen to the radio games I found them enjoyable.

30 years from now there will be an art house doc making them cult favs. Their humor was incredibly weird and not what you will ever hear on a baseball broadcast again. 

OTOH Kyle’s critiques were objectively right. He never gave the score, innings, and would often call strike 3 at same intonation as strike 2 and I wouldn’t know there was a batter change.

10 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

First of all I hate him. Secondly, was he let go by the Cubs? I wouldn't think too many people would leave the TV booth to be a radio announcer. 

"In my weekly newsletter to Reinsdorf, I suggested I be the play-by-play. I have a lot of good ideas..."

• Haha 2
  • Fire 1

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

30 years from now there will be an art house doc making them cult favs. Their humor was incredibly weird and not what you will ever hear on a baseball broadcast again. 

OTOH Kyle’s critiques were objectively right. He never gave the score, innings, and would often call strike 3 at same intonation as strike 2 and I wouldn’t know there was a batter change.

Don't ever say this again.

6 minutes ago, Donny Lucy's Avocado Farm said:

Were there "bandwagon" allegations when Steve Stone came on board?

Steve Stone had a history with the Sox.  And also didn't jump directly into the Sox booth immediately after 15 years of being Mr Cubbie Blue on tv.

4 minutes ago, Quin said:

You clearly don't know how to get the job in that case.

The ideal situation for me would have been to be the White Sox owner instead of JR.  The franchise would have been better off if I had been the owner. His ownership has been a flop. The only positive thing anybody can say about JRs ownership is that it has made him nothing but money.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Espn paying big bucks for a radio announcer?

Good Karma Brands is.  AM1000 is no longer operated by ESPN.  

9 hours ago, fathom said:

I would bet in a few years, Benetti moves up in the world and Kasper takes the TV gig. Meanwhile, it’s a nice problem to have for now.

I disagree.  This is Jason's dream job and I think it'll be his for several decades.

He can move up nationally and still do regional work.  Brian Anderson is #2 at Turner Sports but still does Brewers games.  Sam Rosen & Kenny Albert both call NFL games, with Albert also doing MLB and NHL nationally, while still working for the NY Rangers.  Jon Miller did Sunday Night Baseball for years while still with the Giants.  These are all higher profile gigs than Jason's CFB/CBB work.  

If Jason moves up to the Joe Buck/Al Michaels level, that's another story, but he can still advance at ESPN or elsewhere and work for the SOX. 

• Thanks 1