Len Kasper is new White Sox radio play by play announcer

10 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

The ideal situation for me would have been to be the White Sox owner instead of JR.  The franchise would have been better off if I had been the owner. His ownership has been a flop. The only positive thing anybody can say about JRs ownership is that it has made him nothing but money.

How much money do you have for Trevor Bauer?

Kasper recommended Benetti for the job and thinks highly of him.   The two working together though might be a bit too nerdy for some South siders.

This move is not as momentous as Harry moving from the Sox to the Cubs .  However,  it does seem to be having an impact on the perception that Chicagoans have concerning the direction that each team is now heading.

Perhaps past will be prologue for those of us who may recall how the Sox suffered from switching over to Sportsvision and losing Harry to the Cubs.

• Like 1

It is a peculiar set of circumstances.  This was done with enough Cub involvement that they had a replacement already selected and hired.  It really makes me wonder if the Cubs were the ones pushing Kasper out the door, and there was some sort of an effort to make it seem amicable by covering for him as he looked, maybe even working with the White Sox to get him in there.  It seems odds that everything was already settled by the time that this was made public.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It is a peculiar set of circumstances.  This was done with enough Cub involvement that they had a replacement already selected and hired.  It really makes me wonder if the Cubs were the ones pushing Kasper out the door, and there was some sort of an effort to make it seem amicable by covering for him as he looked, maybe even working with the White Sox to get him in there.  It seems odds that everything was already settled by the time that this was made public.

Agreed.  I think this move to the Sox has much less to do with fulfilling a childhood dream than it does finding another announcing job in baseball that keeps he and his family in Chicago.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Now this is really disappointing.  One day they are telling us World Series or bust and now its that an announcer is the most exciting thing we will do this winter?  I feel like Charlie Brown with the football. 

I get media guys just love talking about how great each other are, and they think they're a huge part of the show, but its just offensive to have takes like Merkins for an organization that never spends on top level player talent.

Give me a deaf mute in the booth and an elite FA signing for once. Jesus.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gtrams42 said:

His voice is so annoying, once Brenly left I put the games on mute. 

It’s like Kermit the Frog. Hopefully I can get used to it.

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Like rats off a sinking ship.  Hard to believe how badly Rickets has fucked that up.

Yikes. Fans booing owner Tom Ricketts about Marquee network wasn’t a great start to #CubsCon

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Farmer and DJ were so bad you literally didn't know what was happening often and it took nothing away from my white sox experience and took nothing away from the world series.

Id prefer we spend money on things that actually matter regarding the quality of baseball product.

Kasper is fine but this celebration by sox fans is beyond weird.

It was bad, but got used to it. Will get used to this as well. Any “celebration” is in reality just taunting “taking” someone from the Cubs.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

It's a radio announcer. Unless you are a truck driver, the minot league invites to spring training is bigger news. 

Oh fans without cable like me. Watch the video on MLB after the game, works out. Baseball on radio is the only sport that works.

Still like the radio announcers vs. television.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

18 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Bingo.

20 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Nah, a lot of smoke around marquee being trash and the cubs cutting corners across the board. Seems like Kasper wanted out like many others in the organization.

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

The ideal situation for me would have been to be the White Sox owner instead of JR.  The franchise would have been better off if I had been the owner. His ownership has been a flop. The only positive thing anybody can say about JRs ownership is that it has made him nothing but money.

You are barely qualified to be on the Internet on your local library watch list. 

• Fire 1

Len is a plain yogurt sandwich served on white bread with the crusts cut off.

If you want to hear nothing but the company line told to you in the most boring fashion, Len's your man.  Don't expect anything of any challenge to the team. 

He fashions himself as some sabermatrician but can only regurgitate what he reads.  He doesn't have the capacity to actually critically analyze the information.

He plays the guitar, so he's super cool and hip.

I'm shocked at the positive reaction here.  

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Thats pretty weird but to each there own.

There are definitely things I will tune into just because I love the call.  I love the stretch run of the Kentucky Derby, but have zero interest in horse racing.  I always listen for that call.  Anytime Bill Walton and Jason are doing a basketball game, I will tune into it, even though it is usually two west coast teams who mean nothing to me. That is two quick examples.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wegner said:

So did Len call his agent and say, "doing TV for the Cubs is going to be brutal going forward....see if you can get me the radio gig on the South Side.  The Sox are going to be exciting!!!"

the agent would have choked him through the phone as it is undoubtedly a significant pay cut, a medium of lower importance and a team that provides less exposure for other jobs

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Yeah that's fine. I like smart, informed people representing and talking about my favorite team on multiple platforms. 

Just curious, why? What does that do for you? I enjoy benetti and hawk was awful at the end, but the product on the field was what mattered. Id take a playoff team with zero announcers over a "smart informed" regurgitating TeamSpeak on national platforms that I don't have time or desire to listen to anyway. 

Attention from major media has always been some weird thing sox fans have sought; as if attention from the masses was more important than the product.

In my life the Sox have had, arguably, the best and most famous trainer in sports, the best and most famous groundskeeper in the world, the best organist at a sporting event... and in that time they've never made the playoffs back to back years. You get attention by winning. 

And honestly ill admit that my douchey arrogance at times gets in the way and may be here; i just dont really give a shit about len kaspers baseball opinion. I certainly dont consider him to be some baseball savant.. sports Talk radio is most often a waste of brain waves.

An announcer can certainly assist in the entertainment level or a broadcast ever so slightly but not to the extent of acting as if we signed a player of any kind. Or proclaiming it the biggest move like dope merkin did.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

There are definitely things I will tune into just because I love the call.  I love the stretch run of the Kentucky Derby, but have zero interest in horse racing.  I always listen for that call.  Anytime Bill Walton and Jason are doing a basketball game, I will tune into it, even though it is usually two west coast teams who mean nothing to me. That is two quick examples.

Fair enough and I can respect people get entertained by different things, and in those circumstances you have no dog in those fights. Certainly good examples. I love when gus Johnson does close college basketball games but its the games being close that help drive gus appeal. 

16 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Just curious, why? What does that do for you? I enjoy benetti and hawk was awful at the end, but the product on the field was what mattered. Id take a playoff team with zero announcers over a "smart informed" regurgitating TeamSpeak on national platforms that I don't have time or desire to listen to anyway. 

Attention from major media has always been some weird thing sox fans have sought; as if attention from the masses was more important than the product.

In my life the Sox have had, arguably, the best and most famous trainer in sports, the best and most famous groundskeeper in the world, the best organist at a sporting event... and in that time they've never made the playoffs back to back years. You get attention by winning. 

And honestly ill admit that my douchey arrogance at times gets in the way and may be here; i just dont really give a shit about len kaspers baseball opinion. I certainly dont consider him to be some baseball savant.. sports Talk radio is most often a waste of brain waves.

An announcer can certainly assist in the entertainment level or a broadcast ever so slightly but not to the extent of acting as if we signed a player of any kind. Or proclaiming it the biggest move like dope merkin did.

Of course it isn't as important as a big player addition. I never insinuated that it was. Nevermind. 

• Like 1

Just now, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Of course it isn't as important as a big player addition. I never insinuated that it was. Nevermind. 

I was genuinely curious as the your answer, in no way was I being critical of you. I like to try and understand things I don't. Sometimes that comes off wrong online, but I even tried to acknowledge that I was a douchbag as to lighten the mood lol.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I was genuinely curious as the your answer, in no way was I being critical of you. I like to try and understand things I don't. Sometimes that comes off wrong online, but I even tried to acknowledge that I was a douchbag as to lighten the mood lol.

I spend a lot of time listening to White Sox related podcasts, sports radio etc. I think having Len Kasper as a member of the White Sox media team in general is awesome. I just like smart people covering my favorite team. That's all 

• Like 3