Len Kasper is new White Sox radio play by play announcer

Just now, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I spend a lot of time listening to White Sox related podcasts, sports radio etc. I think having Len Kasper as a member of the White Sox media team in general is awesome. I just like smart people covering my favorite team. That's all 

Could you imagine the meltdown if Benetti was here ten more years and then left for Cubs radio?

5 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I spend a lot of time listening to White Sox related podcasts, sports radio etc. I think having Len Kasper as a member of the White Sox media team in general is awesome. I just like smart people covering my favorite team. That's all 

Makes sense; I've never gotten into the podcast craze. Certainly many people have; similarly to youtube videos or twitch streams, just never been media I've consumed.

With this forum, the Athletic and twitter I already feel ashamed of how much of my day I spend consuming White Sox information lol. If it improves a type of media you consume and enjoy - beyond the standard radio broadcast - then it makes sense.

10 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Makes sense; I've never gotten into the podcast craze. Certainly many people have; similarly to youtube videos or twitch streams, just never been media I've consumed.

With this forum, the Athletic and twitter I already feel ashamed of how much of my day I spend consuming White Sox information lol. If it improves a type of media you consume and enjoy - beyond the standard radio broadcast - then it makes sense.

Wasn't into it until I got an office job. I need background noise (especially now more than ever) and music doesn't do it for me the same while I work (which is weird, because commuting, I prefer music).

Edited by manbearpuig

I wouldn’t necessarily care whether my announcer is smart or not. I doubt if Harry Carey was a genius yet he was terrific. Harry could have made a great podcast if they were around back then. Imagine Harry and jimmy doing a podcast? 

I watch baseball for entertainment not to judge an IQ contest. And Len is a boring nerdy guy. Not much entertainment there for anyone. 

and the fact that he used to tweak the Sox and still get hired is a surprise but I guess ESPN needed a guy and Len was there for the taking. 

• Fire 1

13 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

That's a fair point. I would imagine if some are not yet, me being one, listening to a lot of podcasts,  you probably will be in a couple of years. 

I just can't get over a guy going from the Cubs TV booth to the White Sox radio booth, and all to hopefully call a WS some day?  There is something fishy here IMO.  Did he apply for the job? How did they know he could be had and the Cubs would let him go? Did the Cubs tell him he was out so he took this job? It just doesn't seem to me this happened like they want you to believe it happened.   In the end it doesn't matter but I woul be curious to know.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

That's a fair point. I would imagine if some are not yet, me being one, listening to a lot of podcasts,  you probably will be in a couple of years. 

I just can't get over a guy going from the Cubs TV booth to the White Sox radio booth, and all to hopefully call a WS some day?  There is something fishy here IMO.  Did he apply for the job? How did they know he could be had and the Cubs would let him go? Did the Cubs tell him he was out so he took this job? It just doesn't seem to me this happened like they want you to believe it happened.   In the end it doesn't matter but I woul be curious to know.

Working from home, I got addicted to podcasts in the last six months or so.  I went through an audiobook period, but ran out of stuff to listen to.  Podcasts have been a god send.

• Like 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Working from home, I got addicted to podcasts in the last six months or so.  I went through an audiobook period, but ran out of stuff to listen to.  Podcasts have been a god send.

I'm big on podcasts when I go to the office. My background noise working from home is TV and movies. I miss the day time baseball games :(

The day there were like 8 playoff games in one day was amazing.

Just now, manbearpuig said:

I'm big on podcasts when I go to the office. My background noise working from home is TV and movies. I miss the day time baseball games :(

The day there were like 8 playoff games in one day was amazing.

I did a TV period too, but I couldn't get enough stuff recorded to occupy my time.

10 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Kasper filling in for stone when he is gone, I'm a fan of that too

Reading between the lines, Stone's contract signed last season is likely his last, Kasper can transition into the television booth to cover for either his or Jason's departure, just as Stone started on the Score with Farmer after Rooney left until he could transition into the TV booth.

4 hours ago, bmags said:

DJ always sounded more polished on national tv so maybe this is good.

That said I always liked DJ and was disappointed what a jerk he was to Masur. After the way hawk treated DJ it was pretty ridiculous he was acting the same way.

I can tell you with 100% certainty the last statement is as wrong as can be. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Reading between the lines, Stone's contract signed last season is likely his last, Kasper can transition into the television booth to cover for either his or Jason's departure, just as Stone started on the Score with Farmer after Rooney left until he could transition into the TV booth.

I think people are missing the point.  Kasper did not jump ship to do TV again (or in the near future).  He wants to do radio, exclusively.    

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Yeah, that is scary. I think I have listened to less than 2 games total on the radio the last 5 years. Only when I am driving some place and the game is on. So this doesn’t really do much for me.

It does even less for the thousands of Sox fans out of state.