Len Kasper is new White Sox radio play by play announcer

37 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I spend a lot of time listening to White Sox related podcasts, sports radio etc. I think having Len Kasper as a member of the White Sox media team in general is awesome. I just like smart people covering my favorite team. That's all 

That is 100% my take.  He is a voice that can add positive content to White Sox coverage.  That was what I was envious about him was that you got pertinent information while on a medium outside of the game call.  

• Like 4

12 hours ago, TomPickle said:

This rules and it rules extra hard if it's an FU to the Ricketts. I know the article goes out of its way to say this isn't some rift with Marquee, but wanting to move to radio for the sake of moving to radio seems pretty hard to believe.

His dream has always been to be on radio

12 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

If Bennetti goes I will be so happy.  The sooner he's out of here the better.

Re: Kasper, I like him, but he's more the national type than the typical Chicago-style homer.  On the radio I think he might work very well.

I like the guy who does the PBP for the Charlotte Knights games.  He would be an excellent replacement for Bennetti.  Also I liked the guy who did some of the Sox ST games last year.  I bet there are lots of good PBP guys in MiLB that can focus on the game of baseball properly.  Bennetti is such a dork.  And all his big calls suck.  I'm not going to rant about this but seriously, if he has any aspirations of increasing his national time, great, go do it, good riddance, GTFO of here already.

Spoiler: Benetti is going nowhere

• Thanks 1

If anybody wants to taste the sweet tears of Cubby fans. They are irate over this.

I also see the Cubs fans trying to make themselves feel better by saying Eloy is only a 2-3 WAR player due to his defense, lol.

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin

1 hour ago, pcq said:

You are barely qualified to be on the Internet on your local library watch list. 

Hey if he's a multimillionaire I want to be his best friend. How you doing @WBWSF. I need a free or extremely low rent  housing in a nice area for retirement . Can you help me out buddy. I have always thought that you contributions to this board have been overlooked and greatly disparaged.

6 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

If anybody wants to taste the sweet tears of Cubby fans. They are irate over this.

I also see the Cubs fans trying to make themselves feel better by saying Eloy is only a 2-3 WAR player due to his defense, lol.

Gee, if only there was a way to only let him hit eventually.

I am flashing back to Harry Carey's last broadcast for the White Sox. At the end of the game he and us fans leave from the center field bleachers and we gave him celebratory pats on the back in appreciation of what he meant to us.

Days later I hear he has taken the Cubs job, and in announcing it he said he was happy to be taking a job with a class organization. 

Granted that doesn't mean he meant the Sox weren't, but always left a bad taste in my mouth. This helps a bit.

7 minutes ago, SpringfieldFan said:

I am flashing back to Harry Carey's last broadcast for the White Sox. At the end of the game he and us fans leave from the center field bleachers and we gave him celebratory pats on the back in appreciation of what he meant to us.

Days later I hear he has taken the Cubs job, and in announcing it he said he was happy to be taking a job with a class organization. 

Granted that doesn't mean he meant the Sox weren't, but always left a bad taste in my mouth. This helps a bit.

Owners...

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Makes MLB radio app a better option

I use plenty of apps but not a single radio one. If I want music I have my own playlists stored on my devices. If I want Sports I can use free apps on Roku or come to the internet and subscribe to MLB.TV to watch Sox games or listen to radio feeds of other games. When I'm in the car free radio is OK.  I've given up on paying monthly bills as much as possible. Phone, internet, rent, gas electric . I do love movies however any getting digital movies as cheap as possible on the secondary market and redeeming them has become something I'm pretty good at.

Anyone made the joke that there is something hilarious about Kasper moving from a TV network that many people in the Chicago area don't have to a radio station that many people in the wider Chicago area can't tune into?

With the move to WMVP I already figured that I would be back to picking up MLB audio next season; this clinches it.

Edited by 3GamesToLove

3 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

The “20-25 games on TV as well” line is interesting.  Neither Stone nor Benetti has missed that many games combined. Stone has taken 1-2 series off a year, but that’s been it.  I can’t remember Benetti taking any games off, now that I think of it.

So I wonder is it possible they may be shaking things up a bit and going with a three-man booth for these games when Kasper will be on TV?  And then who fills in for him on the radio side for those games?  

Edited by Thad Bosley

2 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

The “20-25 games on TV as well” line is interesting.  Neither Stone nor Benetti has missed that many games combined.  Stone has taken 1-2 series off a year, but that’s been it.  I can’t remember Benetti taking any games off, now that I think of it.

So I wonder is it possible they may be shaking things up a bit and going with a three-man booth for these games when Kasper will be on TV?  And then who fills in for him on the radio side for those games?  

Sounds like he would be replacing Stone. Maybe Stone will take more road trips off and the 20-25 games off will come from all road games.

Edited by manbearpuig

20 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I use plenty of apps but not a single radio one. If I want music I have my own playlists stored on my devices. If I want Sports I can use free apps on Roku or come to the internet and subscribe to MLB.TV to watch Sox games or listen to radio feeds of other games. When I'm in the car free radio is OK.  I've given up on paying monthly bills as much as possible. Phone, internet, rent, gas electric . I do love movies however any getting digital movies as cheap as possible on the secondary market and redeeming them has become something I'm pretty good at.

I use the MLB radio feature on XM when at the lake/driving any distance.  Nothing better than sitting outside in Michigan in the summer and listening to any baseball.  This makes the White Sox radio feed a better listen.  

When he was cubs TV guy, I didnt like kasper much because of how much of a cubs homer he was, but that's also what i love about my own announcers so I'm optimistic about this. I always respected his ability to call a game. Plus this has to be an ultimate blow to cubs fans which is always great

When thinking about the context of this move, its important to remember who Len Kasper is. He is a baseball broadcaster, not a former player turned announcer. For guys  who are true broadcasters at their core, I think the ultimate challenge of the craft is to be able to excel at radio. Then the ability to already do so in his own home town and call postseason baseball is icing on the cake. 

I can only assume he must have approached the cubs about doing radio at some point, and for one reason or another it didnt work out. 

Edited by daa84
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, daa84 said:

When he was cubs TV guy, I didnt like kasper much because of how much of a cubs homer he was, but that's also what i love about my own announcers so I'm optimistic about this. I always respected his ability to call a game. Plus this has to be an ultimate blow to cubs fans which is always great

When thinking about the context of this move, its important to remember who Len Kasper is. He is a baseball broadcaster, not a former player turned announcer. For guys  who are true broadcasters at their core, I think the ultimate challenge of the craft is to be able to excel at radio. Then the ability to already do so in his own home town and call postseason baseball is icing on the cake. 

I can only assume he must have approached the cubs about doing radio at some point, and for one reason or another it didnt work out. 

This is good perspective.  I hope Kasper can be as enthusiastic about the Sox without sounding phony, inauthentic, or ingenuine.  Even still I am not a fan and it will take a long while for his embodiment of all things Cubs to wear off.