Len Kasper is new White Sox radio play by play announcer

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Kasper is....uhh........insufferable. He was almost at Ron Santo levels of clownish insufferability to me. 

The only positive here is that cubs fans are crying. 

Jack I'm surprised by this. I expected a more positive, rosy take from you.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Jack I'm surprised by this. I expected a more positive, rosy take from you.

Idk, I listen to games on the radio a lot because I drive for money. Maybe I'll grow to like him but he was absolutely insufferable as the Cubs TV announcer. 

I used the wrong word. I said only when I meant best. 

Everyone likes Pat Hughes too and to me listening to him is like watching flies fuck. So boring. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

After reading some of the comments here, it's perplexing to me how there are users on this site that somehow figured out how to turn on their computer, find this site and able to create a log in and password.

If you don't like Len Kasper's voice or delivery as a broadcaster, that's one thing. Everyone has different tastes. But the lack of critical thinking skills shown by what I assume are fully-functioning adults is crazy.

Why do you think there is so much outrage from Cubs fans? The guy was the voice of the team for 15 years and fans fell in love with his calls, his style, his "homerism" for the North Side. Guess what.........he'll now be doing that for the team you all love. Are you really that immature and naive to not be able to see that? When Eloy cranks out a bomb at Wrigley and you're driving in your car listening to Len go nuts, you're still going to find him insufferable? 

Again, the amount of petulance shown here because he called games for a franchise you hate is just laughable. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

8 minutes ago, Tony said:

After reading some of the comments here, it's perplexing to me how there are users on this site that somehow figured out how to turn on their computer, find this site and able to create a log in and password.

If you don't like Len Kasper's voice or delivery as a broadcaster, that's one thing. Everyone has different tastes. But the lack of critical thinking skills shown by what I assume are fully-functioning adults is crazy.

Why do you think there is so much outrage from Cubs fans? The guy was the voice of the team for 15 years and fans fell in love with his calls, his style, his "homerism" for the North Side. Guess what.........he'll now be doing that for the team you all love. Are you really that immature and naive to not be able to see that? When Eloy cranks out a bomb at Wrigley and you're driving in your car listening to Len go nuts, you're still going to find him insufferable? 

Again, the amount of petulance shown here because he called games for a franchise you hate is just laughable. 

I can think that Kasper was insufferable and completely agree with you here. 

The way I look at it is that Len was kinda like Hawk during the time where Hawk was good at his job. Sox fans loved Hawk, Cubs fans couldn't stand him....until Hawk couldn't see anymore and got bad at his job. Kasper is nowhere near the Character that Hawk is though. 

I actually think I will grow to enjoy Kasper on the radio but It will be hard to wipe the years of Cubbie homerism off of him. 

There's no doubt that Len is good at his job.....can both things be true? 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I can think that Kasper was insufferable and completely agree with you here. 

The way I look at it is that Len was kinda like Hawk during the time where Hawk was good at his job. Sox fans loved Hawk, Cubs fans couldn't stand him....until Hawk couldn't see anymore and got bad at his job. 

I actually think I will grow to enjoy Kasper on the radio but It will be hard to wipe the years of Cubbie homerism off of him. 

This isn't a big deal. Get over it.

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Tony said:

Is it really necessary to insult posters' intelligence because they don't like this hire?

Edited by SouthWallace
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Thad Bosley said:

The “20-25 games on TV as well” line is interesting.  Neither Stone nor Benetti has missed that many games combined. Stone has taken 1-2 series off a year, but that’s been it.  I can’t remember Benetti taking any games off, now that I think of it.

So I wonder is it possible they may be shaking things up a bit and going with a three-man booth for these games when Kasper will be on TV?  And then who fills in for him on the radio side for those games?  

Benetti usually misses a handful of games at the end of the season for CFB games (and sometimes does a CFB and Sox game in the same day). I bet Kasper will fill in for both Stone and Jason whenever either are out, and I can see that equating to 20-25 games. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

Is it really necessary to insult posters' intelligence because they don't like this hire?

I actually like the hire, it's just weird to see him switching sides. 

I found him insufferable with the Cubs. It would be like Hawk switching in 2001 or so. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

35 minutes ago, Tony said:

Absolutely this. I get sports rivalries fire people up as they should, but the amount of spite shown here is silly.

Seems some people are taking pleasure in seeing Cubs fans "cry" because they feel their franchise is crumbling again. I would think Sox fans, of all people, would have a little more empathy.

8 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

I'm so confused haha

He's good at his job but he was a homer. He'll be bringing that to the South Side. That's cool.

It is possible to be a troll with Cubs fans and be rational about their team at the same time. 

I enjoy watching certain teams/players repeatedly fail, like the Cubs, Yankees and Maple Leafs, and Tom Brady.  I am not afraid to admit schadenfreude there. 

I actually want the Sox and Hawks to win more, but absent of that, it's funny to watch them fail. 

I don't really hate those teams as much as I find their fans incredibly smug, arrogant and pompous. You could use the same adjectives to describe Tom Brady. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

15 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Absolutely this. I get sports rivalries fire people up as they should, but the amount of spite shown here is silly.

Seems some people are taking pleasure in seeing Cubs fans "cry" because they feel their franchise is crumbling again. I would think Sox fans, of all people, would have a little more empathy.

Ever heard of schadenfreude? 

It means pleasure derived from others misfortune. 

I wouldn't want it if something actually bad happened to another person. But in sports, it is very real. 

I was actually happy for all of my friends who were Cub fans when they won. They got theirs, back to schadenfreude. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

One reason Cubs fans are so upset is because he is going to the White  Sox. They wouldn't be half as upset if he was going to the Padres.

No shit sherlock. 

Don't let Cub fans fool you into thinking they don't enjoy watching the Sox fail. They absolutely do and if they tell you otherwise, they're lying. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RagahRagah said:

Yep! But Kasper can't even play right field.

Edited by Saufley
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, daa84 said:

When thinking about the context of this move, its important to remember who Len Kasper is. He is a baseball broadcaster, not a former player turned announcer. For guys  who are true broadcasters at their core, I think the ultimate challenge of the craft is to be able to excel at radio. Then the ability to already do so in his own home town and call postseason baseball is icing on the cake. 

Yes, over 40 years Jason Benetti was the first professional PBP on television for a quarter century, and Kasper is the first on radio since Rooney left, though Farmer grew into his role and I have generally always liked the radio broadcasts.

For Len's replacement, it's crystal clear the job is Kayleigh McEnany's for the taking, a perfect fit for the Marquee Network, Sinclair Broadcasting, the Ricketts Family and Cubs Baseball. She may be available next month.

July 31, 2021 broadcast:

220px-White_House_Press_Briefing_(498668 "Kris Bryant is one of the all time great Cubs, an MVP, a World Series winner, a great man, husband, teammate and baseball player."

jim-deshaies-269x300.png"Kayleigh, this just in, Kris Bryant has been traded to the Washington Nationals. This is Kris' final game with the Chicago Cubs."

mcenany-kayleigh-cnn-1.jpg?resize=300,30 "Kris Bryant was the most overrated player in Cubs history, a bad teammate, a wife beater, good riddance. Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out."

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

14 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Yes, over 40 years Jason Benetti was the first professional PBP on television for a quarter century, and Kasper is the first on radio since Rooney left, though Farmer grew into his role and I have generally always liked the radio broadcasts.

For Len's replacement, it's crystal clear the job is Kayleigh McEnany's for the taking, a perfect fit for the Marquee Network, Sinclair Broadcasting, the Ricketts Family and Cubs Baseball. She may be available next month.

July 31, 2021 broadcast:

220px-White_House_Press_Briefing_(498668 "Kris Bryant is one of the all time great Cubs, an MVP, a World Series winner, a great man, husband, teammate and baseball player."

jim-deshaies-269x300.png"Kayleigh, this just in, Kris Bryant has been traded to the Washington Nationals. This is Kris' final game with the Chicago Cubs."

mcenany-kayleigh-cnn-1.jpg?resize=300,30 "Kris Bryant was the most overrated player in Cubs history, a bad teammate, a wife beater, good riddance. Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out."

POTY candidate. Well done. LMFAO. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1