Len Kasper is new White Sox radio play by play announcer

Heard Kasper last night talk about why he did this, and the guy sounded like he was having a midlife crisis like me - but 17 years later lol.

He said he had goals and dreams in his life and that as he got older, he realized he should pursue them now; screw money and etc because he already made enough. 

He basically used the example that he didn't get to call a world Series game and it killed him; it was his dream. He said in order to pursue dreams - I believe he even just started a band he's losing his mind so much lol - sometimes you need to do things that others wouldn't understand. 

To be honest, that made a ton of sense to me. If I was rich enough and happy in my life, who cares if I take a 50% paycut if I'm fulfilling life long dreams and goals. This actually made me like Kasper a lot more.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 12/5/2020 at 8:53 AM, Chicago White Sox said:

Apologies, wasn’t suggesting there was anything wrong with posting it.  Just kind of an off putting song from my perspective, but obviously we all have different tastes in music.  Also, are you saying he has struggles with mental health?  I guess I’m completely oblivious to who Les Kasper is outside of his PBP role.

No problem, I’ve known about his anxiety for quite a while, please see below:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyherald.com/amp-article/20140608/sports/140608612/

Edited by The Beast

On 12/5/2020 at 10:50 AM, The Beast said:

Really? She’s aiight. I’ve got a crush on the senator from New York. 😉

LOL.

I was just assuming someone got a little presumptuous on AOC's political rise, but the picture was a bit of a shocker (and not WheatShocker for all those Jason Sudeikis/Ted Lasso fans out there.)

Also, she was considered one of the top 3-5 favorites in the middle of 2016 for the Dem nomination.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, wegner said:

Just saw a little video of Len Kasper saying that Tim Anderson is the best SS in Chicago, which I guess has triggered some Javy loving Cubbie fans.

Well done, Len....Welcome to the South Side...I'm all in with you now :D

He's alright in my book. ;)

• Like 2

On 12/5/2020 at 1:22 PM, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Heard Kasper last night talk about why he did this, and the guy sounded like he was having a midlife crisis like me - but 17 years later lol.

He said he had goals and dreams in his life and that as he got older, he realized he should pursue them now; screw money and etc because he already made enough. 

He basically used the example that he didn't get to call a world Series game and it killed him; it was his dream. He said in order to pursue dreams - I believe he even just started a band he's losing his mind so much lol - sometimes you need to do things that others wouldn't understand. 

To be honest, that made a ton of sense to me. If I was rich enough and happy in my life, who cares if I take a 50% paycut if I'm fulfilling life long dreams and goals. This actually made me like Kasper a lot more.

His heirs.

I don't know the economics of the booth.  Do those guys really make enough to have FU money?  I thought they made a nice, more than comfortable living but not the kind of money where you can take a big financial hit at the age of 50.

9 hours ago, wegner said:

Just saw a little video of Len Kasper saying that Tim Anderson is the best SS in Chicago, which I guess has triggered some Javy loving Cubbie fans.

Well done, Len....Welcome to the South Side...I'm all in with you now :D

Purposeful and unnecessary.  Unless you don't buy the "Jonesing to do radio at half the money story" and think he was pushed out.  Then it makes sense.

Darrin Jackson gives his thoughts on pairing with Len Kasper.

https://www.mlb.com/news/darrin-jackson-len-kasper-white-sox-broadcasts

“I know two things,” Jackson told MLB.com during a recent interview. “I know he’s great at what he does, and I know I like to have fun, break down the game. And I know he’s going to make me better just because he’s a great broadcaster.

“I’m going to play off of him. I know we are going to get along great. That’s the No. 1 thing. Now it’s going to matter about the chemistry and the timing, and let’s see what I can do to make him have a good day and have some fun up there and what he can do to tee me up and make me sound like I know what I’m talking about. I’m going to try to have a lot of fun up there.”

• 2 months later...
On 12/8/2020 at 9:58 AM, Superstar Lamar said:

His heirs.

I don't know the economics of the booth.  Do those guys really make enough to have FU money?  I thought they made a nice, more than comfortable living but not the kind of money where you can take a big financial hit at the age of 50.

Who says he needs to have “FU money” to make a choice like this? It’s not like he’s emptying his savings account. He’s still working and making a good salary; he’s just making a career choice and balancing financials, lifestyle, and personal preference like millions of people do every day. Nobody is obligated to maximize their salary at every minute of their careers, for their “heirs” or anybody else. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, flavum said:

You know what I like about Len Kasper? He’s not Jason Benetti. The worst thing about the Sox right now is the shit TV announcers. Hopefully the radio feed matches up to the video enough to enjoy it live, otherwise I’ll watch on mute. 

You don't like the humor and seinfeld references?

3 hours ago, ron883 said:

You don't like the humor and seinfeld references?

Few words need quotes more than "humor" in your question. It's about as funny as the Robert running in front of Eloy to catch straight away fly ball gag, or as clever as Sox Math which needs to be relegated with Thunderstruck to the trash bin.

I'm hoping Kasper isn't pulled for TV after Stone's contract ends (2022/23?) and/or Jason leaves, as radio is my primary.  I enjoyed the two broadcasts I've heard in Spring with Kasper and DJ. I listened to Kasper and Stone yesterday, and enjoyed what I heard as well.

8 hours ago, flavum said:

You know what I like about Len Kasper? He’s not Jason Benetti. The worst thing about the Sox right now is the shit TV announcers. Hopefully the radio feed matches up to the video enough to enjoy it live, otherwise I’ll watch on mute. 

Agreed. Len grew up with Ernie Harwell so he knows how to baseball. He even kept Steve from being too annoying but still smug. Jason needs to find a truer version of himself and do the same. 

• Thanks 1