Len Kasper is new White Sox radio play by play announcer

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Ever heard of schadenfreude? 

It means pleasure derived from others misfortune. 

I wouldn't want it if something actually bad happened to another person. But in sports, it is very real. 

I was actually happy for all of my friends who were Cub fans when they won. They got theirs, back to schadenfreude. 

That was the term I was originally going to use.

More of you guys need to have a heart. 

5 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

in other words, the Cubs already had his replacement if Meyers is already in place.  Kasper was getting pushed out.

Now it's starting to make sense.  And for Chris Meyers, Marquee guy and picture of amiable mediocrity.

5 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

That's a fair point. I would imagine if some are not yet, me being one, listening to a lot of podcasts,  you probably will be in a couple of years. 

I just can't get over a guy going from the Cubs TV booth to the White Sox radio booth, and all to hopefully call a WS some day?  There is something fishy here IMO.  Did he apply for the job? How did they know he could be had and the Cubs would let him go? Did the Cubs tell him he was out so he took this job? It just doesn't seem to me this happened like they want you to believe it happened.   In the end it doesn't matter but I woul be curious to know.

He had to know that he was out or somehow demoted, IMO.  Otherwise this doesn't make sense.  Does he have kids in school here?  What's his family situation?  

12 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Chances are he took a pay cut. Radio doesn’t generate anywhere near the revenue of TV.  It could be as simple as he wanted to do radio and a possible WS at some time or maybe there were issues. The ties were ridiculous.

After hearing the press conference today and listening to 670, this.

12 hours ago, SouthWallace said:

Perhaps my initial reaction was a tad hyperbolic and meat headed, I can own that.  I find Kasper insufferable and this announcement was a bit of a slap in the face by ESPN.  To me he is bland monotony steeped in Cubs homerism, and that will now be calling Sox games.  For those that think he is good, what makes him so good?

Listen to this, add in “SOX WIN...SOX WIN!!” and tell me you don’t get fired up.

https://twitter.com/southsideordie/status/1334939117440864257?s=20

10 hours ago, pcq said:

Radio is a demotion. Working with DJ is a demotion.  Rooney left because they were cutting pay. 

What if he wanted to do radio and if that was his dream all along? Spiegel just turned 50 and he mentioned how doing things he wanted to do were important to Len.

7 hours ago, Thad Bosley said:

The “20-25 games on TV as well” line is interesting.  Neither Stone nor Benetti has missed that many games combined. Stone has taken 1-2 series off a year, but that’s been it.  I can’t remember Benetti taking any games off, now that I think of it.

So I wonder is it possible they may be shaking things up a bit and going with a three-man booth for these games when Kasper will be on TV?  And then who fills in for him on the radio side for those games?  

Would Andy Masur be contractually allowed to do 20-25 games while employed by WGN? I don’t see why not when the Score hosts do things like this all of the time.

7 hours ago, Tony said:

After reading some of the comments here, it's perplexing to me how there are users on this site that somehow figured out how to turn on their computer, find this site and able to create a log in and password.

If you don't like Len Kasper's voice or delivery as a broadcaster, that's one thing. Everyone has different tastes. But the lack of critical thinking skills shown by what I assume are fully-functioning adults is crazy.

Why do you think there is so much outrage from Cubs fans? The guy was the voice of the team for 15 years and fans fell in love with his calls, his style, his "homerism" for the North Side. Guess what.........he'll now be doing that for the team you all love. Are you really that immature and naive to not be able to see that? When Eloy cranks out a bomb at Wrigley and you're driving in your car listening to Len go nuts, you're still going to find him insufferable? 

Again, the amount of petulance shown here because he called games for a franchise you hate is just laughable. 

Exactly. I can’t understand people who just think he’s a boring nerdy white guy. We have another boring nerdy white guy in the TV booth and he is outstanding. What people also haven’t mentioned is that they haven’t had a top notch radio broadcast since Rooney and Farmer. I don’t always listen to the radio but now that Kasper is on it I just may, especially during key moments in the games. It certainly will give me what I want for a different perspective and a more enjoyable experience. Also, Len isn’t dumb either, I definitely think he’s going to educate people on statistics when it is necessary just like Benetti does. 

6 hours ago, SouthWallace said:

Is it really necessary to insult posters' intelligence because they don't like this hire?

Yes.

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Kayleigh McEnany is sooo hot.  She is literally the one and only thing I am going to miss about this presidency.

Really? She’s aiight. I’ve got a crush on the senator from New York. 😉

Edited by The Beast

I have no problem with his broadcast style, and I actually love his interest in advanced metrics that he brings to the Cubs broadcasts.....

but holy shit his shrill excited voice drives me nuts. His talking voice is fine, but as soon as he goes from Kermit the Frog to shrill screeches of joy, my ears bleed a little.

• Haha 1

Up until today, I’ve given Len Kasper all of two and a half minutes worth of attention since he arrived in Chicago.  I don’t watch Cubs telecasts, and the two and a half minutes over the course of his 16 years on the north side that I came across him was purely accidental.  Nonetheless, there was nothing I heard that was particularly compelling - seemed sorta cookie cutter - so he hasn’t been in my stream of consciousness.  

Until now.

Today I became extraordinarily intrigued with Kasper.  This is a guy who is walking away from one of the premium sports television gigs to take on a radio gig.  Forget the going-from-the-Cubs-to-the-Sox thing for a moment.  He is literally following a lifelong dream to broadcast baseball over the medium of radio, a very different experience than broadcasting on TV, where the broadcaster can often go silent and let the picture tell the story.  Radio is different.  The announcer has the responsibility to translate everything he or she sees through their eyes into the same picture the listener can see in their mind so they can relate to what’s going on in the game.  Ironically, it’s a far more challenging job than that of the TV announcer, yet the TV gig is usually the more prestigious one.

Kasper is foregoing exposure by moving from the Cubs’ TV booth to the Sox’ radio booth.  That tells a lot about the man and how he truly feels about following his dream to follow in the footsteps of Ernie Harwell, who he grew up listening to on the radio.  I think this has all the makings of becoming something really cool and special.  He will undoubtedly have to adjust his style of broadcasting as he moves from the one medium to the other.  But that should be a good thing for Sox fans.  He seemingly gets many accolades as a TV announcer.  Now he will probably become an even better broadcaster, which hopefully our fan base will enjoy and benefit from for years to come.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

24 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Matt Spiegel pointed out that Len wrote this song in his 40s. Matt and Len are in a band, Sonic45 together and produced “Pills.” Take a listen.

That's such a great song. thanks for posting. I'd pay to see that band, I'd pay even more to be able to see this year, really miss being out and about.

Spiegel is one of the few I like on the Score, Laurence Holmes the other. I like his Sunday in season show better than the Saturday show, 1. Because it doesn't compete against WXRT's Saturday Morning Flashback and 2. There is no Bruce Levine.

The more I learn about Len, the more I like. Since I am radio only during the game, I am really looking forward to the broadcasts next season. Nothing against Andy, who did a good job under doubly trying circumstances (COVID Broadcasts with road games broadcast off of a monitor and following Ed Farmer), but this is a significant upgrade.

Jason Benetti joined Len Kasper on the Score interview at five (linked below):

https://www.radio.com/670thescore/podcasts/parkins-show-63/parkins-spiegel-len-kasper-jason-benetti-interviews-hour-4-351559748

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1

I listened to the Score podcast. Kasper explained the move by claiming that he always wanted to  call a World Series game...on the radio.

So OK, let's try to unpack that more than they did during the asskissing podcast interview.

So he is suggesting that the White Sox have a better shot at getting in the World Series than the Cubs?  OK, probably right, but is that a personality trait that is commendable?  You get out when its tough...you lack loyalty ....even to the extent that you then join what many in town consider a fierce rival?

And well, he always wanted to announce radio more than TV....What?  Has he ever said that in the past 16 years? No other team would offer him a radio gig?

Then Kasper goes into his wise old sage mode (he is in his 50's I believe) stating that at this point in his life he has done so much that he desn't need the thrills of the younger announcers, but instead suggesting that he now wants to pursue some higher cerebral experience in the radio booth.  Please.  This is the game of baseball, not Hare Krishna.

So after spending the entire interview explaining why the decision was all about him, he never said one word, about Cub or White Sox fans, and how each fan base  would react to this. He seemed to be self-absorbed. That's fine for people making career choices or having a mid-life crisis, but this is a guy that was the voice of the Cubs for 16 years leaving and turning up on the other side of town with with what appears to be a bulsh1t story.

I don't know, this thing is just too strange.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tray said:

I listened to the Score podcast. Kasper explained the move by claiming that he always wanted to  call a World Series game...on the radio.

So OK, let's try to unpack that more than they did during the asskissing podcast interview.

So he is suggesting that the White Sox have a better shot at getting in the World Series than the Cubs?  OK, probably right, but is that a personality trait that is commendable?  You get out when its tough...you lack loyalty ....even to the extent that you then join what many in town consider a fierce rival?

And well, he always wanted to announce radio more than TV....What?  Has he ever said that in the past 16 years? No other team would offer him a radio gig?

Then Kasper goes into his wise old sage mode (he is in his 50's I believe) stating that at this point in his life he has done so much that he desn't need the thrills of the younger announcers, but instead suggesting that he now wants to pursue some higher cerebral experience in the radio booth.  Please.  This is the game of baseball, not Hare Krishna.

So after spending the entire interview explaining why the decision was all about him, he never said one word, about Cub or White Sox fans, and how each fan base  would react to this. He seemed to be self-absorbed. That's fine for people making career choices or having a mid-life crisis, but this is a guy that was the voice of the Cubs for 16 years leaving and turning up on the other side of town with with what appears to be a bulsh1t story.

So basically Len isn’t allowed to make a career decision because it will upset Cubs fans?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Honestly not trying to be a dick, but that song is terrible and Spiegel is creep AF in that video.

I posted it so that people could see another side of Len, both musically and with his personal life with his mental health struggle. Say what you want about the song, but it is kind of cool that it was produced and released during the start of the pandemic and it is also cool that Len wrote it. 

9 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

That's such a great song. thanks for posting. I'd pay to see that band, I'd pay even more to be able to see this year, really miss being out and about.

Spiegel is one of the few I like on the Score, Laurence Holmes the other. I like his Sunday in season show better than the Saturday show, 1. Because it doesn't compete against WXRT's Saturday Morning Flashback and 2. There is no Bruce Levine.

The more I learn about Len, the more I like. Since I am radio only during the game, I am really looking forward to the broadcasts next season. Nothing against Andy, who did a good job under doubly trying circumstances (COVID Broadcasts with road games broadcast off of a monitor and following Ed Farmer), but this is a significant upgrade.

Jason Benetti joined Len Kasper on the Score interview at five (linked below):

https://www.radio.com/670thescore/podcasts/parkins-show-63/parkins-spiegel-len-kasper-jason-benetti-interviews-hour-4-351559748

Thanks for sharing the podcast link, I’ll listen to it today on my run. I am with you in Len being the play guy play guy on the radio being a significant upgrade in the booth. Some people, like yourself, are radio only for their own reasons and circumstances. I’m a Bernstein/Spiegel/Rahimi guy at the score but I can appreciate Holmes’ and the morning show’s work and the jabs at Parkins on the afternoon show.

I figured I would share the song because it shows another side of Len with his music talent and his mental health that he lives life with.

5 hours ago, tray said:

Kasper was with the Cubs for 16 years and obviously wanted to do radio so he pitched the move to the White Sox. I don’t think the move is a FU to the Cubs or their fans, instead it might have more to do with staying in Chicago and seeing an upgrade opportunity in the booth on the south side, which is also occurring during a change in broadcast partner. 

The Cubs clearly did not offer him the radio play by play job during his tenure there and maybe another major league club did offer him something but he had his sights set on one or a few teams. All of this is why I am thinking he is making a move at the age he is at and the point of career he is at now.

• Like 1

Just now, The Beast said:

I posted it so that people could see another side of Len, both musically and with his personal life with his mental health struggle. Say what you want about the song, but it is kind of cool that it was produced and released during the start of the pandemic and it is also cool that Len wrote it. 

Thanks for sharing the podcast link, I’ll listen to it today on my run. I am with you in Len being the play guy play guy on the radio being a significant upgrade in the booth. Some people, like yourself, are radio only for their own reasons and circumstances. I’m a Bernstein/Spiegel/Rahimi guy at the score but I can appreciate Holmes’ and the morning show’s work and the jabs at Parkins on the afternoon show.

I figured I would share the song because it shows another side of Len with his music talent and his mental health that he lives life with.

Kasper was with the Cubs for 16 years and obviously wanted to do radio so he pitched the move to the White Sox. I don’t think the move is a FU to the Cubs or their fans, instead it might have more to do with staying in Chicago and seeing an upgrade opportunity in the booth on the south side, which is also occurring during a change in broadcast partner. 

The Cubs clearly did not offer him the radio play by play job during his tenure there and maybe another major league club did offer him something but he had his sights set on one or a few teams. All of this is why I am thinking he is making a move at the age he is at and the point of career he is at now.

Apologies, wasn’t suggesting there was anything wrong with posting it.  Just kind of an off putting song from my perspective, but obviously we all have different tastes in music.  Also, are you saying he has struggles with mental health?  I guess I’m completely oblivious to who Les Kasper is outside of his PBP role.

22 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

There are definitely things I will tune into just because I love the call.  I love the stretch run of the Kentucky Derby, but have zero interest in horse racing.  I always listen for that call.  Anytime Bill Walton and Jason are doing a basketball game, I will tune into it, even though it is usually two west coast teams who mean nothing to me. That is two quick examples.

Like everything in life, to each their own. I am okay w Walton but I only hear him on occasion. However he did the Maui Invitational this year in Asheville, NC and he was trashed by college hoop fans during the tourney. He certainly knows the game but rambles incessantly about everything but the actual game action.