Weird Trade Ideas

bmags

throw some good stuff out for my tradeheads. Anyone can propose our top prospects for good players! Let's get to the hard stuff: trades that are very unlikely and nobody feels that strongly or good about.

Potential Teams: Oakland As

- The As have a lot of free agents and two very bad contracts that may prevent them from re-signing players like Semien and la stella. 

Trade:

White Sox Get:

Khris Davis (1 yr/ $16.5 mm)
Chris Bassett (1 yr / 4.5?)

As get:

Salary relief to sign Semien, go after SPs like Mike Leake and Hamels, and sign Hanser Alberto

Zach Collins

Isaiah Carranzo

Yankees

Nobody ever wins trades with the yankees since the white sox acquired our dear sweet Jose Contreras. This trade will make people angry!

White Sox Get:

Gary Sanchez

Mike Tauchman

Yankees Get

Nick Madrigal

White sox get a player at his lowest value in Sanchez, whom they can use as DH until vaughn comes, and if he recovers have a cracker jack DH/C/1b rotation. Tauchman gets them a nice, cheap RF platoon against RHP pitchers. He was also down last year, but still had a good wRC+ against RHP and if he gets back to 2019 then he's a great option since he was not a platoon guy.

Yankees keep Sanchez from signing with a rival in Tampa, get his salary off books, and replace Lemahieu with a cheap option and diversify their offensive attack.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Sox get: Spencer Howard

Philies get: Yasmani Grandal and Nick Madrigal

Yeah phillies have a few guys I've circled. Problem is I have no idea where that FO is going to take things. They seem to have an angry owner! But like, not much to do except spend thru it or send out some of guys they've signed.

I'm kinda interested in a reclamation project of Velasquez. I don't know why they haven't shelved his curveball. He's got too many pitches. But there's a lot there. Maybe bullpen role can make him.

27 minutes ago, bmags said:

White Sox Get:

Gary Sanchez

Mike Tauchman

Yankees Get

Nick Madrigal

I like the idea of going after both Sanchez and Tauchman, but I question if the Yankees will target a 2B even with losing LeMahieu. I can see them moving Gleybar over full-time and going after a big SS.

I think they've got question marks at pitching and need to replace bodies in Tanaka and Paxton. I'd be interested in a Stiever++ package, curious what else they would be interested in.

Just now, MiddleCoastBias said:

I like the idea of going after both Sanchez and Tauchman, but I question if the Yankees will target a 2B even with losing LeMahieu. I can see them moving Gleybar over full-time and going after a big SS.

I think they've got question marks at pitching and need to replace bodies in Tanaka and Paxton. I'd be interested in a Stiever++ package, curious what else they would be interested in.

I don't think they like Gleybars D but madrigal would give them salary relief at 2b and improved defense (lol no idea), which can get them to spend on pitching OR Realmuto.

Wheeler to the Sox makes a ton of sense. If the Phillies are desperate to shed money, then it shouldn't be that expensive. I'd start the call asking about Harper though. I'd ask the Phillies for 45M in cash that is not to be paid until the last 3 years of Harper's deal. That gives them 8 years to recover, and brings Harper's decline year salaries down to $10M annually. 

If they're willing to spend $25M on Springer, why not spend that on Harper, who is better? Yeah, it's a longer term commitment but it covers the last hole in the lineup and they only have to worry about pitching for years. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

I still like the idea someone threw out a month ago about targeting Joe Musgrove from the Pirates. They seem to be in shambles and might take a package of lower level guys to develop as well.

I really like him. Good call. Only 2 years of control and injury issues though. 

Also, I want to trade Stiever this winter. His value will never be higher and he's behind a lot of guys in the Sox system. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

25 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Wheeler to the Sox makes a ton of sense. If the Phillies are desperate to shed money, then it shouldn't be that expensive. I'd start the call asking about Harper though. I'd ask the Phillies for 45M in cash that is not to be paid until the last 3 years of Harper's deal. That gives them 8 years to recover, and brings Harper's decline year salaries down to $10M annually. 

If they're willing to spend $25M on Springer, why not spend that on Harper, who is better? Yeah, it's a longer term commitment but it covers the last hole in the lineup and they only have to worry about pitching for years. 

Can someone explain to me why Phillies would be looking to dump Wheeler?  He pitched fantastically last year and I wouldn't say his contract is an albatross. I get it if they want to rebuild or something, but I assume they still would expect some prospects headed their way. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to get Wheeler - I just don't quite see why Philly would do it and if they are just shedding for salary sake than I don't understand why we'd trade Grandal who has a big contract tied to him as well.  Or am I missing something and Wheeler is like out half of next year or something.  

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Reynolds is someone who I would be very interested in if the Pirates made him available 

That’s your Reinsdorf going “all in” on a budget move right there.  Might not be enough for the Pirates to hire but it’s at least an interesting way for us to fill a couple of holes with cost controlled players.

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

Can someone explain to me why Phillies would be looking to dump Wheeler?  He pitched fantastically last year and I wouldn't say his contract is an albatross. I get it if they want to rebuild or something, but I assume they still would expect some prospects headed their way. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to get Wheeler - I just don't quite see why Philly would do it and if they are just shedding for salary sake than I don't understand why we'd trade Grandal who has a big contract tied to him as well.  Or am I missing something and Wheeler is like out half of next year or something.  

They claim to have lost upwards of $130M in 2020. Their GM and Ownership are talking about cutting payroll. 

5 minutes ago, Quin said:

White Sox get: 

- Zack Wheeler

- Blake Snell

Phillies get:

- Dylan Cease

- Nick Madrigal

- Zack Collins

Tampa Bay gets

- Michael Kopech

- Mick Abel

- Micker Adolfo/Blake Rutherford