Weird Trade Ideas

bmags

12 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Weird indeed

Is this one of those specific target threads we have to use now instead of the off season targets thread that was closed ? That's 2 threads recently closed where it was just people talking to people about stuff stemming from baseball discussions.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Re: the Wheeler stuff, any word on if he had a no trade clause or list? Feel like it would be pretty awkward to be traded here a year after his family publicly said no to Chicago and turned down a higher offer. Not that he would necessarily have us on his NTC list, just got me thinking of that and the first awkward conversation he would have.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Re: the Wheeler stuff, any word on if he had a no trade clause or list? Feel like it would be pretty awkward to be traded here a year after his family publicly said no to Chicago and turned down a higher offer. Not that he would necessarily have us on his NTC list, just got me thinking of that and the first awkward conversation he would have.

I thought the same.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Yankees

Nobody ever wins trades with the yankees since the white sox acquired our dear sweet Jose Contreras. This trade will make people angry!

White Sox Get:

Gary Sanchez

Mike Tauchman

Yankees Get

Nick Madrigal

White sox get a player at his lowest value in Sanchez, whom they can use as DH until vaughn comes, and if he recovers have a cracker jack DH/C/1b rotation. Tauchman gets them a nice, cheap RF platoon against RHP pitchers. He was also down last year, but still had a good wRC+ against RHP and if he gets back to 2019 then he's a great option since he was not a platoon guy.

Yankees keep Sanchez from signing with a rival in Tampa, get his salary off books, and replace Lemahieu with a cheap option and diversify their offensive attack

I don't get this one at all. Gary Sanchez is an abysmal defensive catcher and he hasn't had an elite hitting season since 2017. At this point, there's a real question as to whether or not he is going to return to form AT the plate, and there isn't anything to suggest he is capable of improving BEHIND it.

Isn't that pretty much what Zach Collins is?

I don't know if either of these guys is going to hit going forward, and while I admit that the fact that Sanchez has in the past makes him more likely to do so, Collins younger, cheaper, and we wouldn't be giving up Nick Madrigal to get him.

I like Tauchman just fine, but if we're creating a hole with a trade, we'd better also be filling one -- preferably on the mound, IMO.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

It never sounds like Wheeler was anti-Sox, in fact if you believe the reports, the Sox thought a deal was done.  It was that he wanted to stay closer to home in Philly.

12 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

White Sox get:

• Yusei Kikuchi

Mariners get:

• Jonathan Stiever
  • Zach Collins
  • Lency Delgado

holy shit that's bad

Sox could probably get him just for taking on his contract.  They can have Bernardo Flores.  Why would we want this guy anyway?  Are we trying to get worse?  Just start Dunning, he's already here and isn't making $17M next year.

4 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I like this one.

I think that's gross. Isn't Garrett a reliever? Ew. 

While Senzel is a long term fit in RF, Don't you think you could get him for Dunning? 

Also I still like Zach Burdi. His stuff is back. He could easily still become the closer of the future for the Sox. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

17 minutes ago, bmags said:

Now we’re talking

To quote a wise man...

tenor.gif

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It never sounds like Wheeler was anti-Sox, in fact if you believe the reports, the Sox thought a deal was done.  It was that he wanted to stay closer to home in Philly.

Also, he signed there under the auspices that the Phillies would be competing. With their budget in disarray, who knows if that's going to be a thing.

Just now, Quin said:

Except if you trade Grandal after one (pandemic shortened) season where he was still a net positive, no big free agents are going to sign here.

I don’t think it’s a big deal if you tell them that your pitchers didn’t like throwing to him 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

Weird ideas?  

Marcus Stroman > Jace Fry, Micker Adolfo (based solely on the idea that the Mets may not have expected him to take the QO and there could be some hard feelings about sitting out last season)

Kevin Gausman > Jonathon Stiever (While SF must have expected Gausman to take the QO, if they can't extend him I'd think he'd be a red hot trade target)

Kole Calhoun > Blake Rutherford (AZ surely would like the shed his 8 million)

Danny Jansen > Zach Collins (Local kid comes home if Jays get one of the big name catchers)

Corbin Burnes, Lorenzo Cain > ?  (Brewers are so intriguing, likely not enough talent to win, possibly over budget already, giant holes in their lineup, but still have several positive assets, if they need to shed payroll they could really be interesting this offseason. While the Sox trading for either Burnes or Woodruff likely isn't weird, them taking Cain's money and rolling the dice with him in RF likely qualifies for this thread)