Lance Lynn Thread

Chicago White Sox

We know we pursued him heavily at the trade deadline and are likely still pursuing him right now, so it feels like an official thread is warranted.  Also, I just came across a random Bleacher Report article speculating on potential prices for Lance.  For the White Sox, this is the package they came up with:

• Jonathan Stiever
  • Gavin Sheets
  • Tyler Johnson

To me that’s an absolute no-brainer for us.  I really like Stiever, but he’s easily the most expandable prospect who might be able to headline a trade like this.  And honestly, I’d much rather trade these pieces for Lance than give up Kopech or Vaughn for Snell.

What do you guys think?  Are you interested in Lynn?  Would you do the proposed deal?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2920427-yankees-and-the-top-landing-spots-trade-packages-for-rangers-sp-lance-lynn.amp.html

• Like 2

I hesitate because it's only 1 year of Lynn we are trading for but I would not be too upset with this deal.  I would prefer spending $ in free agency than giving up prospects.  I still do not trust Hahn to not give up the wrong prospects.  I also still have a feeling that it is Kopech who will be moved this offseason but not for Lynn.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

We know we pursued him heavily at the trade deadline and are likely still pursuing him right now, so it feels like an official thread is warranted.  Also, I just came across a random Bleacher Report article speculating on potential prices for Lance.  For the White Sox, this is the package they came up with:

• Jonathan Stiever
  • Gavin Sheets
  • Tyler Johnson

To me that’s an absolute no-brainer for us.  I really like Stiever, but he’s easily the most expandable prospect who might be able to headline a trade like this.  And honestly, I’d much rather trade these pieces for Lance than give up Kopech or Vaughn for Snell.

What do you guys think?  Are you interested in Lynn?  Would you do the proposed deal?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2920427-yankees-and-the-top-landing-spots-trade-packages-for-rangers-sp-lance-lynn.amp.html

That's a little steep for a rental, but at least it's not crazy shit like Vaughn, Kopech, or Madrigal and therefore doable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wegner said:

I hesitate because it's only 1 year of Lynn we are trading for but I would not be too upset with this deal.  I would prefer spending $ in free agency than giving up prospects.  I still do not trust Hahn to not give up the wrong prospects.  I also still have a feeling that it is Kopech who will be moved this offseason but not for Lynn.

I mean, if we trade someone away, it seems almost certain to come back and hurt us, that's just our record. That said, this is a fair deal concept for both sides, and it fills a need for both. So yeah, I'd hate doing it, and the downside is obvious, but we have to do something to add pitching and doing so without giving up the big guns is the key. 

Apparently based on this year, the trick is the Rangers need to accept fair value for Lynn rather than a king's ransom for a guy with 1 year of control remaining and a non-trivial contract. If they're willing to accept a fair deal, that's a fair deal. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

• Jonathan Stiever
  • Gavin Sheets
  • Tyler Johnson

The White Sox would do this rather quickly I feel like. Texas has been asking for Vaughn up to this point. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The White Sox would do this rather quickly I feel like. Texas has been asking for Vaughn up to this point. 

Seems like the Rangers need to adjust their expectations or they will be holding him to the deadline.  I’m a huge Lance Lynn, but one year of him is not worth a top 50 or this case a top 20 prospect like Vaughn.

5 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

It's not. The problem is just the White Sox system. They won't trade Vaughn, Kopech and Crochet for anyone and the rest of the system was hurt severely from playing no games of consequence.   I think they're in a tough spot trade wise 

Agreed. That’s why I think it’s best to just sign a couple mid-tier starters (Richards, Quintana, Odorizzi, etc.) and then reevaluate where we’re at with Cease, Dunning, and Kopech at the trade deadline or next offseason. 

28 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

It's not. The problem is just the White Sox system. They won't trade Vaughn, Kopech and Crochet for anyone and the rest of the system was hurt severely from playing no games of consequence.   I think they're in a tough spot trade wise 

Yeah, it seemed like Stiever had a ton of helium coming off the 2019 season and would probably be cracking top 100 lists right now if COVID-19 didn’t happen.  Unfortunately I’m not sure his two start stint with the Sox did much to make up for a lack of proven production in the upper minors.

8 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I think that's a big reason why a Lynn trade could happen.  The Rangers are very familiar with the Sox system. They've been working on trades the last few years so they already know who they like and who they don't.   The Rangers just have realize it's best for them to trade him.  It's no guarantee they will but I'm optimistic.   

5 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I think that's a big reason why a Lynn trade could happen.  The Rangers are very familiar with the Sox system. They've been working on trades the last few years so they already know who they like and who they don't.   The Rangers just have realize it's best for them to trade him.  It's no guarantee they will but I'm optimistic.   

Gammons just said Lynn fits the mold of what Tony wants