Alex Colome should be the Sox' first FA signing

VAfan

Last night, I rewatched the bullpen meltdown against the A's that lost us that series. Ricky Renteria's panicked moves in that game sealed his managerial fate. But what also emerges from that game is a clear indication that no one else in the Sox bullpen is ready to stand up to the pressures of closing out games. Bummer was particularly bad that day, and he has an injury history now. Heuer got out of one jamb only to give up the 2 run homer that started the A's comeback. Crochet, who is the only other pitcher on our current staff who coud be better than Colome as a closer, couldn't make it through 2 innings without getting hurt. He has more value as a starter, anyway. Evan Marshall gave up the winning runs in the middle innings. 

So the Sox clearly need a closer for this season. 

Colome is realiable, likely cheaper than alternatives, and is well known by the Sox and his teammates. 

His best attribute, IMHO, is that he's been successful closing out games. He once led the league in saves with 47. 

He doesn't have overpowering stuff, but he uses what he has very effectively, and he has proven that he can stay healthy, carry a substantial workload, pitch more than an inning in a pinch, and close out games. They aren't always pretty, but he gets the job done. 

Between a TOR starter, right fielder, and closer, I actually think having that closer may be the most important thing the Sox need to take care of. Because without that backend reliable guy, it can disrupt the rest of the bullpen. But if you have the back end sealed up, then the other guys can fit into their roles in the 6th, 7th, and 8th innings. If you can't close out games, that just kills a team. Meanwhile, if you can, well we saw starting with KC that having a great bullpen can propel you to winning the World Series. 

So, sign Colome. We should be able to get him on a 2-year deal. That will give the Sox time to season his eventual replacement. We just don't have anyone else who can fill that role right now. 

Just to be clear, Bummer, Fry, Marshall, Heuer, & Foster are locks for the roster next year.  If you assume an eight man bullpen that leaves three open spots for the likes of Cordero, Lopez, Johnson, Burdi, Lambert, and possibly Crochet.  They will obviously add one proven reliever to be in the 8th inning or late mix, but I’m not sure they add two semi expensive relievers.  I think it’s more likely they add a second starter who spends some time in the pen or pushes one of our young starters there.

Colome is an easy choice to want back. His last 2 years with the Sox have been pretty damn good especially 2020. He had been good before he came to the Sox . He isn't your high K closer and that bothers people. I did notice when he got to the Sox he became a 2 pitch pitcher, the cutter and 4 seamer. The year before he came to the Sox he was also using a sinker and a change.

His 1st year with the Sox was successful but not great. However the bottom line of Saves was very good; 30 saves in 33 opportunities. I think that performance was while he was refining becoming a 2 pitch pitcher. 2020 it looks as though he refined it very well. Again not a high K rate but all other categories he was elite and I don't throw that term around loosely. FIP , WHIP, ERA, BAA, weak contact all outstanding. He saved 12 of 13.  If this is the now refined Colome I want more of it. If you then pick up Hand or Hendricks that would be an amazing back end.

The only problem I foresee with combining Hand/Hendriks with AC  is if one is the primary closer, does it create a problem for the other to be the setup man which would push Bummer down. Or does the manager mix and match all 3 and how does that screw with effectiveness with  not having defined roles ? Good problems though with too many excellent relievers.

21 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Just to be clear, Bummer, Fry, Marshall, Heuer, & Foster are locks for the roster next year.  If you assume an eight man bullpen that leaves three open spots for the likes of Cordero, Lopez, Johnson, Burdi, Lambert, and possibly Crochet.  They will obviously add one proven reliever to be in the 8th inning or late mix, but I’m not sure they add two semi expensive relievers.  I think it’s more likely they add a second starter who spends some time in the pen or pushes one of our young starters there.

Locks unless some are traded.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Locks unless some are traded.

Very true and the Twitter “insiders” claim that Heuer was as good as gone at the deadline before some deal fell through.  Whether true or not, I could definitely see the Sox dealing him or Foster as part of a package for a starter (would make sense in a Gray trade) and then replacing via free agency.

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

He isn't your high K closer and that bothers people.

Yea it does.  But closers don't need to be.  Set up pitchers do.  But the lack of Ks makes people think, in this era, that what he's done is luck.
I could see them trading a young reliever; but they better get some real value for him.  This is not 1 or 2 year window, unless they muck it up.

Edited by GreenSox

3 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Yea it does.  But closers don't need to be.  Set up pitchers do.  But the lack of Ks makes people think, in this era, that what he's done is luck.
I could see them trading a young reliever; but they better get some real value for him.  This is not 1 or 2 year window, unless they muck it up.

If they trade a young reliever it better not be Bummer.  He's the real deal.

7 hours ago, VAfan said:

Last night, I rewatched the bullpen meltdown against the A's that lost us that series. Ricky Renteria's panicked moves in that game sealed his managerial fate. But what also emerges from that game is a clear indication that no one else in the Sox bullpen is ready to stand up to the pressures of closing out games. Bummer was particularly bad that day, and he has an injury history now. Heuer got out of one jamb only to give up the 2 run homer that started the A's comeback. Crochet, who is the only other pitcher on our current staff who coud be better than Colome as a closer, couldn't make it through 2 innings without getting hurt. He has more value as a starter, anyway. Evan Marshall gave up the winning runs in the middle innings. 

So the Sox clearly need a closer for this season. 

Colome is realiable, likely cheaper than alternatives, and is well known by the Sox and his teammates. 

His best attribute, IMHO, is that he's been successful closing out games. He once led the league in saves with 47. 

He doesn't have overpowering stuff, but he uses what he has very effectively, and he has proven that he can stay healthy, carry a substantial workload, pitch more than an inning in a pinch, and close out games. They aren't always pretty, but he gets the job done. 

Between a TOR starter, right fielder, and closer, I actually think having that closer may be the most important thing the Sox need to take care of. Because without that backend reliable guy, it can disrupt the rest of the bullpen. But if you have the back end sealed up, then the other guys can fit into their roles in the 6th, 7th, and 8th innings. If you can't close out games, that just kills a team. Meanwhile, if you can, well we saw starting with KC that having a great bullpen can propel you to winning the World Series. 

So, sign Colome. We should be able to get him on a 2-year deal. That will give the Sox time to season his eventual replacement. We just don't have anyone else who can fill that role right now. 

I like this plus an Archie Bradly..........& a Springer & a Bauer. It’s Christmas time & I’ve been a good boy.