And now Wheeler on the market

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30462167/sources-philadelphia-phillies-open-trade-offers-right-hander-zack-wheeler

Just feels like a bunch of teams, knowing FA for pitchers is weak, seeing if they can get a haul.

Having to pay talent AND wheelers contract really makes it less attractive to me

Exactly at that point just sign Trevor Bauer.

13 minutes ago, bmags said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30462167/sources-philadelphia-phillies-open-trade-offers-right-hander-zack-wheeler

Just feels like a bunch of teams, knowing FA for pitchers is weak, seeing if they can get a haul.

Having to pay talent AND wheelers contract really makes it less attractive to me

That's exactly how I see it. Obviously being a very good pitcher gave Wheeler the choice of where he wanted to go but as a professional in any sport you have to realize "have gun will travel". If making the decision of location over money makes sense, then you would think he would have a no trade clause.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

17 minutes ago, bmags said:

I agree for the most part, but the Phillies seem to be crying poor and the article does speculate the return would be “measured”.  If I can get him at a reasonable price, I’d be 100% all over this.  If the Phillies are looking for premium young talent on top of his contract then I’d look elsewhere.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I agree for the most part, but the Phillies seem to be crying poor and the article does speculate the return would be “measured”.  If I can get him at a reasonable price, I’d be 100% all over this.  If the Phillies are looking for premium young talent on top of his contract then I’d look elsewhere.

Yeah you obviously seek it out.

Just get annoyed by stuff like this where last year any team could get him at a price and they paid that top price. Now it’s they want to trade away that away...and it’s really hard to add much on top of it. But we’ll see.

5 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Okay so this:

Harper + Wheeler for Grandal + Keuchel + Cease + Heuer + Adolfo

Sign Realmuto

This is retribution for those fuckwads who threw shit at Stacey King and Neil Funk in the playoffs that one year ... actually for proper retribution we should make that deal while holding out Cease and Heuer

The Phillies are trying to shed salary, why would they want Grandal and Keuchel?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Yeah you obviously seek it out.

Just get annoyed by stuff like this where last year any team could get him at a price and they paid that top price. Now it’s they want to trade away that away...and it’s really hard to add much on top of it. But we’ll see.

100% agree.  In theory he shouldn’t be worth much more than what he’s getting paid short unless his performance profile has changed substantially (which I’d argue it hasn’t).  To me, he’s the ideal target because his contract is just big enough where it’s hard for the Phillies to justify a blue chipper being included in return, unlike with Snell or Gray.

• Like 1

Wheeler let his girlfriend dictate where he landed. He turned down an extra 7m to go to the destination of her choice. The guy is clearly a low testosterone cuck, and I don't want him. 

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

7 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Okay so this:

Harper + Wheeler for Grandal + Keuchel + Cease + Heuer + Adolfo

Sign Realmuto

This is retribution for those fuckwads who threw shit at Stacey King and Neil Funk in the playoffs that one year ... actually for proper retribution we should make that deal while holding out Cease and Heuer

Yuck 

• Love 4
  • Fire 1

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

100% agree.  In theory he shouldn’t be worth much more than what he’s getting paid short unless his performance profile has changed substantially (which I’d argue it hasn’t).  To me, he’s the ideal target because his contract is just big enough where it’s hard for the Phillies to justify a blue chipper being included in return, unlike with Snell or Gray.

He’s great. If I were to rank my trade acquisition guys of those purportedly being shopped I’d go:

1) Wheeler

2) Darvish

3) Lynn

4) Musgrove

5) Snell

6) Marquez

Obviously expected value given up plays a huge part here

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

The Phillies are trying to shed salary, why would they want Grandal and Keuchel?

There is no way in hell the Sox are taking on salary like that without either 1) sending more salary out, or 2) adding a boatload of top prospects to get the Phillies to eat cash.

Option 2 should never be an option.

Option 1 is what?  If we didn't send out Grandal and Keuchel, who else is there?  Moncada? Eloy? Robert?  Yeah right, not happening.  And the Sox aren't sending out Abreu no matter what, so it's a pretty obvious move.

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

He’s great. If I were to rank my trade acquisition guys of those purportedly being shopped I’d go:

1) Wheeler

2) Darvish

3) Lynn

4) Musgrove

5) Snell

6) Marquez

Yeah, I’m mostly in agreement there, and would definitely prioritize those top three guys assuming a lower acquisition cost.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The best part is trading two free agents we signed just last offseason who both produced and helped lead us to the playoffs for the first time in over a decade and then thinking that Realmuto is actually going to sign with us.

Exactly. No interest in giving up Kuechel and Grandal. And to be honest with our lineup and today’s financial situation in MLB, I’m not sure I’d want Harper. It’s a no all the way around.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, bmags said:

1) Wheeler

2) Darvish

3) Lynn

4) Musgrove

5) Snell

6) Marquez

It is everything, really.  So is that a list of the pitchers you'd like to see on the team most to least (regardless of expected cost in terms of prospect return), or a list factoring in what is in your head as the likely acquisition cost?