And now Wheeler on the market

31 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Okay so this:

Harper + Wheeler for Grandal + Keuchel + Cease + Heuer + Adolfo

Sign Realmuto

The point of signing a Bauer or trading for a Wheeler is that we have two really good SPs and then junk. What is the purpose of acquiring another good one while giving up one of the two we have?

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

For the record, Wheeler has 4 years and $96.5M left on his deal, so effectively a $24.1M AAV.  

Given Harper’s no trade clause and McCutcheon being unreadable, Wheeler is without question the one piece they could move to quickly free up some payroll.

I can’t see teams trading for Wheeler with that contract unless the asking price is very low. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

It is everything, really.  So is that a list of the pitchers you'd like to see on the team most to least (regardless of expected cost in terms of prospect return), or a list factoring in what is in your head as the likely acquisition cost?  

The latter. I just don’t like paying for control. Would rather just pay for talent deals.

2 minutes ago, bear_brian said:

Add Wheeler (21.5), Pederson (10), Quintana (10), Colome (8) and McGee (7) and Sox payroll goes to about $ 160M.

If they add Wheeler, I don't think you add Q. Sox can hedge their bets on Kopech/Dunning/Cease for the 4 and 5 spots. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

That's the $64k question. Can they get Wheeler without trading Cease or Dunning? 

They should. Only 2 teams in the league wanted him at his given contract. He bolstered his value a but this year, but is also a year older. A deal revolving around Stiever while eating all his payroll is what I would do. Otherwise, just freaking sign Trevor Bauer. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I would include Dunning in a trade for Wheeler. Your not handicapping your future because you would still have pitching depth in the minors with Kopech, Stiever, Crochet, Kelley, Thompson and Dalquist. 

I have a bad feeling that a Dunning trade will really bite us in the ass. 

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

There is no better fit for this offense than Harper. Would rather have him than Wheeler, to be honest.  I have a feeling Phillies would be open to trading him.  Also, this guy had the Wheeler stuff yesterday and said Harper is available.

https://mobile.twitter.com/brian_jenks/status/1335285192752238595

There's just no way the sox take on Harper's contract

• Like 1