And now Wheeler on the market

7 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

It was 7 million dollars. You acting like thats the same as me taking 100k instead of 106k is hilarious. 

Closer to family smh. These guys are on road 1/2 the year. They live elsewhere in off seasons.

$6000 to someone making 100k is more important than 7mil to someone making 100mil.

At a 100mil you already have generational wealth. Once you have that, money doesnt matter as much. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

And when things are close agents literally start doing tax calculations. 

And this is why New York and California teams never get free agents and Texas and Florida teams get every free agent

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Most of the time the money isn't that close.....and I'd take it that most of the time a player and his SO will take the dough. 

I hear what you are saying but 7 million isn't chump change to be discarded if you aren't a trillionaire. I actually think Wheeler wanted to stay in the NL to be honest to avoid being exposed. Having a chance to pitch against guys he knows and the pitcher was worth more to him in the long run. I don't buy the girlfriend story. 

Just now, Soxbadger said:

$6000 to someone making 100k is more important than 7mil to someone making 100mil.

At a 100mil you already have generational wealth. Once you have that, money doesnt matter as much. 

Yet again real world studies show thats not reality.

To switch careers that paid over 75k in 2015, the average person said they'd move for a 10k raise. That's a required 13.3% raise. As salaries moved past 100k that number actually shrinks a little but stays at 10%. At 150k it drops to 8%. As you move up the pay scale the required percent shrinks more and more.

Why? Because people who earn at the top of the pay scales are driven in different ways, and members of unions are even more compelled to take the peak offer to set the marker for future players. Thats how it works. To take 7 million less to play somewhere else is saying loud and clear that you do not want to play there.

4 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Then why do players go to the highest bidder then? Why does the MLBPA want guys to take the highest offer? 

24 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Closer to his girlfriend's family. And we are talking about 7 million dollars, not 30 or 40 grand. If his decision was to be close to her family then his negotiations with us were probably to raise the Phillies offer, not to actually play for us. 

We are talking about the percentage difference between 100k and 106k.  We are talking about the percentage difference between 18 and 19 dollars an hour.  It sounds more impressive to say 7 MILLION DOLLARS,  but we are talking about 1.4 million a season for a guy pulling down almost 24 million dollars a year. After taxes and agent, it is probably half that. If you take into account the difference between tax rates in Philly and Chicago it might be about even.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rey21 said:

I’d give up Kopech, Cease, Dunning, Vaughn for Wheeler AND Harper in a heartbeat, it won’t happen but I’m just saying I would not be hesistant to include any of those guys for *BOTH*

If you pay Wheeler and Harper the salaries they got for their once in a lifetime FA contracts and throw in those prospects...you would have just got yourself the screwing of a lifetime.  Sale/Q/Eaton got those big prospect returns because they were cheap by normal standards.  Nothing cheap about Wheeler and Harper.  I like Harper and Wheeler but only if either or both are available primarily for salary relief.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I think part of this pushback is if you are interviewing for the baseball ops job you’d see this and think you’d be forced into a decision. That said, clearly this isn’t getting resolved soon. More likely the deals that have been rehashed as nauseum.

2 hours ago, Flash said:

According to Roster Resource, Wheeler is owed a bit more than 21.5/yr.

Zack Wheeler 30.5   5 yr, $118M (2020-24) $23,600,000 $22,500,000 $26,000,000 $24,500,000 $23,500,000

And it's going to end real badly. Hard pass, unless the Sox are getting $30M-$50M back, and giving up nothing, which isn't going to happen.

I'll say it again, either the Sox will spend in Free Agency and be competitive over the next few years, or they will be cheap and no trade(s) will result in a legitimate shot at competing for a World Series. They don't need major contracts (Springer/Bauer etc.), they need flexibility to fill holes with quality players during the off-season, and at the July trade deadlines.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

48 minutes ago, Leonard Zelig said:

Wait, if Wheeler gets traded, does that mean no FAs will be signing with PHI in the future?  That’s what I’ve heard about Grandal a hundred times.

Since I'm the one who said it...

1) Philly isn't signing big free agents this winter, or next year in all likelihood. All these asinine Grandal trades have us going for Realmuto or signing a big free agent this winter.

2) The Phillies are bleeding money and going nowhere. Grandal just helped lead the Sox to the postseason for the first time in over a decade by being roughly what was expected. The reward? Jettisoning him.

3) The situations aren't in a vacuum and the Sox would show that they're going to jettison guys for no other reason than a bunch of fans getting upset over a shortened season. You might as well let Ron trade Abreu.

• Like 1

The Phillies would have to kick in 80M+ with regards to harpers contract before they'd begin to see anything other than a token prospect or lotto ticket, Harper is sitting at an AAV of 24.9. Wheeler has a 24.12 AAV, he is projected to produce 3.1 fWAR next year and even with a glass half full approach his contract doesn't offer any surplus value; thats not say he and Harper don't have value, they do but the Phillies would need to eat roughly a 1/4 to 1/5th of his contract to get anything beyond a token prospect. 

With that said if they Phillies want to throw in the appropriate amount of money where it becomes appealing to the sox they should use some of their prospect depth and make the move to shore up their weakness in RF and SP for this window.

4 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Things are really going off the rails when Ron has to be the voice of reason.

I'm often the voice of reason here. Emotions just ride so high, that people are blinded and don't see it. I need to step in and put the normal folk, and even mods (SS2K5 and Kyle mostly), in line on occasion. 

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin
  • Haha 3