And now Wheeler on the market

9 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Didn't we just have a discussion about paying for future performance instead of past performance? Shouldn't that apply to trades as well? 

If you think he’s going to fall off a cliff for some reason that’s fine, but he’s been a premier pitcher for the last 2 1/2 seasons.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If you think he’s going to fall off a cliff for some reason that’s fine, but he’s been a premier pitcher for the last 2 1/2 seasons.

He's been very good the last 2 seasons but I do not expect it to continue. 

If Daniels/Young don't get reasonable it's not going to happen anyway. Even trading Cease or Dunning for him would be a horrible mistake. 

Can we close this thread based on the owner's statement?

https://www.mlb.com/news/phillies-owner-john-middleton-on-zack-wheeler-trade-rumors

“If they offered me Babe Ruth, I wouldn’t trade him,” Middleton told ESPN Sunday afternoon in a telephone interview.

Middleton said he would not trade Wheeler for Ted Williams or Mike Schmidt, either.

“I have authorized no one to have a conversation about trading him,” Middleton said about Wheeler.

Did he mean Babe Ruth's corpse, Ted William's frozen head or these players in their prime?

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/phillies-owner-john-middleton-on-zack-wheeler-trade-rumors

“If they offered me Babe Ruth, I wouldn’t trade him,” Middleton told ESPN Sunday afternoon in a telephone interview.

Middleton said he would not trade Wheeler for Ted Williams or Mike Schmidt, either.

“I have authorized no one to have a conversation about trading him,” Middleton said about Wheeler.

Did he mean Babe Ruth's corpse, Ted William's frozen head or these players in their prime?

Yeah, I think he meant Babe Ruth's corpse and Ted Williams' cryogenically frozen body. LOL. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Middleton guy is such a dicklicker.  What's the point of even having a GM or assistant GM or manager or anything if the owner is going to stand there behind everyone in the org breathing down the backs of their necks?  He should just name his self "Ultimate Manager" and operate directly out of dugout at all times.

LOL at the idea of having to "authorize" one of his employees to have a "conversation."  And the Babe Ruth statement is just as ridiculous.  Wheeler would trade himself for prime Babe Ruth, as would everyone else on the planet.

• Haha 1

Just now, YourWhatHurts said:

Middleton guy is such a dicklicker.  What's the point of even having a GM or assistant GM or manager or anything if the owner is going to stand there behind everyone in the org breathing down the backs of their necks?  He should just name his self "Ultimate Manager" and operate directly out of dugout at all times.

LOL at the idea of having to "authorize" one of his employees to have a "conversation."  And the Babe Ruth statement is just as ridiculous.  Wheeler would trade himself for prime Babe Ruth, as would everyone else on the planet.

Yeah, just go full Jerry Jones at that point. 

2 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

I thought Williams head was frozen only.  There's some issue about money and what parts went where I think.  IMO the frozen corpse of Walt Disney is a better get.

idk how that would work....but ok. It was 15+ years ago and I don't remember the whole story. 

LOL on Walt Disney. 

I wish Jerry didn't have the rest of the ownership group to report to because I think how divided the Sox ownership group is in prevents him from going full Illitch. I actually think he might if it was solely up to him. This is the guy that once said he'd trade all 6 Bulls rings for another Sox one. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

20 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Sounds like John or the Phillies front office got a less than excited call from Wheelers agent; this overreaction pretty much confirms that the story was true.

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Sounds like John or the Phillies front office got a less than excited call from Wheelers agent; this overreaction pretty much confirms that the story was true.

Yeah, that's what it sounds like to me. He should have negotiated a NTC if that was the case. 

10 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

idk how that would work....but ok. It was 15+ years ago and I don't remember the whole story. 

LOL on Walt Disney. 

I wish Jerry didn't have the rest of the ownership group to report to because I think how divided the Sox ownership group is in prevents him from going full Illitch. I actually think he might if it was solely up to him. This is the guy that once said he'd trade all 6 Bulls rings for another Sox one. 

There's no way in hell he would have "went Illitch," ever.  You are giving him waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much credit.

If anything maybe he'd have traded at least 1 Bulls chip to get out of paying the buyout owed to that expensive RP we had who we cut last year, you know the guy who used to be on the Royals and Nats for half a season.  I forget his name so please don't remind me, I don't want to remember.  But the dorf would give up a Bulls title probably to get that buyout money back.

5 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

There's no way in hell he would have "went Illitch," ever.  You are giving him waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much credit.

If anything maybe he'd have traded at least 1 Bulls chip to get out of paying the buyout owed to that expensive RP we had who we cut last year, you know the guy who used to be on the Royals and Nats for half a season.  I forget his name so please don't remind me, I don't want to remember.  But the dorf would give up a Bulls title probably to get that buyout money back.

I honestly don't know what to think of Jerry. On one hand, I think he's a bad owner and is way too frugal, but on the other hand some of the stuff he does has logic behind it. 

29 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I honestly don't know what to think of Jerry. On one hand, I think he's a bad owner and is way too frugal, but on the other hand some of the stuff he does has logic behind it. 

He dumped buyouts to Nate Jones and Wellington Castillo and it looks like it may cost us a quality prospect.  That's the dorf.

One person here once mocked me for having a "schtick" when I brought up the Poreda draft where we passed on Porcello to take Poreda, and this moron kept going on about how the Sox are so different now etc. etc.  No they are not.  They still do not operate to their greatest potential.  They make petty moves which cost the franchise later and which set the franchise back unnecessarily.  And I forget why I mentioned Porcello but I think it had something to do with the lasting effects of decisions.  If you take a quality prospect -- the guy you actually want on a talent basis -- and it works out, then there is all of the time he can play for you on your team, or the value of a trade he is included in, or the value of the winning product on the field, or the value of the draft pick you get when he's walking out the door if qualified, etc.  Sure the draft rules changed and the Sox stopped acting the way they were when the slotting system came in and the MLB contracts went away, but the dorf has always been one to take 1 step forward and then another step back merely out of his "principle" even when doing so threatens to hurt the franchise on a multiyear basis, and even when additionally there appear to be no real benefits to the club for the stance.  For all the shit pulled in those draft years, the Sox got nothing for it that made them better, not even a competitive balance pick.

In general, owners are mostly some of the most useless breathing resource consumers on the face of the Earth.  The dorf serves no purpose.  He is a leech, a parasite, etc.  He does no good to any one, and he is alone good for nothing, and all he does is take for his self, and step on other peoples' toes and stop processes and ruin things by interjecting his idiot self into any and every matter he feels like interjecting his self into.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

He dumped buyouts to Nate Jones and Wellington Castillo and it looks like it may cost us a quality prospect.  That's the dorf.

One person here once mocked me for having a "schtick" when I brought up the Poreda draft where we passed on Porcello to take Poreda, and this moron kept going on about how the Sox are so different now etc. etc.  No they are not.  They still do not operate to their greatest potential.  They make petty moves which cost the franchise later and which set the franchise back unnecessarily.  And I forget why I mentioned Porcello but I think it had something to do with the lasting effects of decisions.  If you take a quality prospect -- the guy you actually want on a talent basis -- and it works out, then there is all of the time he can play for you on your team, or the value of a trade he is included in, or the value of the winning product on the field, or the value of the draft pick you get when he's walking out the door if qualified, etc.  Sure the draft rules changed and the Sox stopped acting the way they were when the slotting system came in and the MLB contracts went away, but the dorf has always been one to take 1 step forward and then another step back merely out of his "principle" even when doing so threatens to hurt the franchise on a multiyear basis, and even when additionally there appear to be no real benefits to the club for the stance.  For all the shit pulled in those draft years, the Sox got nothing for it that made them better, not even a competitive balance pick.

In general, owners are mostly some of the most useless breathing resource consumers on the face of the Earth.  The dorf serves no purpose.  He is a leech, a parasite, etc.  He does no good to any one, and he is alone good for nothing, and all he does is take for his self, and step on other peoples' toes and stop processes and ruin things by interjecting his idiot self into any and every matter he feels like interjecting his self into.

So who were you when you were banned, seeing as you just told on yourself over a grudge from 13 years ago.

• Like 2