MLB Winter Meetings Thread

Orlando

The Winter Meetings is usually a week I look forward to. I love the action that takes place. I know the hype is a bit dead because of Covid and it being virtual but I am going to try my hardest to get into this year like any other.

Here is a write up that explains the event a bit:

Also, NBC Sports is doing Daily Shows and Podcasts:

So what moves , if any, do you hope/see the Sox completing next week?

4 minutes ago, Orlando said:

The Winter Meetings is usually a week I look forward to. I love the action that takes place. I know the hype is a bit dead because of Covid and it being virtual but I am going to try my hardest to get into this year like any other.

Here is a write up that explains the event a bit:

Also, NBC Sports is doing Daily Shows and Podcasts:

So what moves , if any, do you hope/see the Sox completing next week?

We have to wait and hope they don't trade their 2nd wave. 

I'm mortified because I know the Sox Modus Operandi when they're contending: They'll trade anyone for this year. 

If they trade Crochet I'll scream. They absolutely stole him at 11.  If they trade Vaughn or Kopech they better be getting someone who has some individual hardware already and is in their prime.  (MVP or Cy Young) 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm mortified because I know the Sox Modus Operandi when they're contending: They'll trade anyone for this year. 

If they trade Crochet I'll scream. If they trade Vaughn or Kopech they better be getting someone who has some individual hardware. 

They aren’t trading Crochet, he’s probably more untouchable than Vaughn or Kopech.

Spending money on JBJ is really one of the few moves that would really piss me off.  I mean why not just go with Engel and Leury and spend that money on a RP or put it toward a SP?  That bat is most definitely not for real.

It would be so Sox to say Bauer is too expensive, and then spend the exact amount of money AAV that Bauer costs on Q + like $7M to JBJ + $4M to the next incarnation of Steve Cishek, only to end up with a 4th/5th starter, a shit MR who is cut by August, and a giant nothingburger of a bat in RF.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If they trade Crochet I'll scream. They absolutely stole him at 11.  If they trade Vaughn or Kopech they better be getting someone who has some individual hardware already and is in their prime.  (MVP or Cy Young) 

I doubt they’d move Kopech, Vaughn or Crochet for anyone this offseason 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Spending money on JBJ is really one of the few moves that would really piss me off.  I mean why not just go with Engel and Leury and spend that money on a RP or put it toward a SP?  That bat is most definitely not for real.

It would be so Sox to say Bauer is too expensive, and then spend the exact amount of money AAV that Bauer costs on Q + like $7M to JBJ + $4M to the next incarnation of Steve Cishek, only to end up with a 4th/5th starter, a shit MR who is cut by August, and a giant nothingburger of a bat in RF.

It's so annoying........

41 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What top prospects have they traded in all honesty?

A lot. It wasn't a huge deal until the guys they traded came back to bite them in the ass.......the Sox farm wasn't that great. Then they had a string of trades that bit them in the ass starting with the Swisher deal. 

They traded a good portion of their top 10 for Jake Peavy. That was a huge deal in terms of money back then. Peavy was making $22M in 2009 and Jerry went for it. One thing that gives me hope......they had a lot of big contracts then. That was the last major deal that didn't bite them some way. MLB contributors that have been traded for bullshit include:

Dan Hudson(Edwin Jackson)

Frankie Montas(Frazier) 

Marcus Semien and Chris Bassitt(Samardzija) 

The trade that shall not be named was the last one. 

It seems the Sox are horrid at self-scouting and some of these guys were top 10 on the Sox prospect list when they traded them. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Again I would love Bauer/Springer/etc but being a sox fan has grounded my expectations in reality. KW always gets his man even if the sell by date is past expiration (i don't think thats the case with JBJ and i do think the price will be reasonable). 

3 minutes ago, beautox said:

Again I would love Bauer/Springer/etc but being a sox fan has grounded my expectations in reality. KW always gets his man even if the sell by date is past expiration (i don't think thats the case with JBJ and i do think the price will be reasonable). 

Most of JBJ's career he's been a black hole offensively. Isn't that what we're trying to solve? His typical season outside of the 3 outliers or so are a bit better than Mazara this year. 

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

A lot. It wasn't a huge deal until the guys they traded came back to bite them in the ass.......the Sox farm wasn't that great. Then they had a string of trades that bit them in the ass starting with the Swisher deal. 

When I say top prospects, I mean guys that the major publications (BA, BP, FG, Pipeline) consider to be top 100 prospects.  In all honesty, I feel like we’ve traded very few.  The only guys I can come up since we last won the World Series are Frankie Montas, Erik Johnson, Addison Reed, Gio Gonzalez, & Ryan Sweeney.  That’s pretty much nothing in a 15 year period.

16 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

When I say top prospects, I mean guys that the major publications (BA, BP, FG, Pipeline) consider to be top 100 prospects.  In all honesty, I feel like we’ve traded very few.  The only guys I can come up since we last won the World Series are Frankie Montas, Erik Johnson, Addison Reed, Gio Gonzalez, & Ryan Sweeney.  That’s pretty much nothing in a 15 year period.

Wasn't Hudson a back end T100 guy when they traded him for Edwin Jackson? 

Edited by Jack Parkman

39 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Are there any players that you do like except for maybe Odorizzi or Arihara because it seems like you would be annoyed with pretty much anyone they sign or trade for?

Yeah. Ones that are free that don't cost top prospects. I want them to sign Bauer if they can get him for around 25-26M AAV. 30M is insanity for a pitcher like him. I see Bauer as a similar pitcher to Wheeler last year, with inconsistencies but sky high upside  and great stuff that will get him paid around that amount.

I want them to sign a guy in the Odorizzi/Quintana/Arihara tier that is a solid #3/4 and a guy like Richards/Kluber/Archer that has injury issues but high upside if they have a good year. 

There are not a lot of pitchers on the FA market that I'd be upset with them signing because most of them can be had on a 1-2 year deal. They all have their positives and they all have their flaws. I'd rather bet on some of the Sox young arms taking a step forward. 

They almost can't go wrong in my book when it comes to FA pitching unless they sign Bauer to a 30M deal, but I'd still be stoked that they got him. They better be sure he's the guy from 2018 and 2020 then. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 hours ago, beautox said:

My bold predictions: they sign Jackie Bradley 2/15, Jose Quintana 2/18 and Archie Bradley 3/18 with two options.

Didn't realize JBJ was a FA, always liked him and is a good player...would love him here, but there are bigger needs

Seems to me these PHI rumors are BS, but I was very interested

Ideally: sign McCann, Colome, Ozuna, Hendricks, Hand, Paxton

Realistically: sign Colome, Pederson, Quintana

Hopefully in reality it's somewhere in between the to options

Fortunately, this team is ready to compete and anything added is a bonus

Let's go Sox

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

In a 60 game sample, I hope we’re not the team buying into that.

JBJ has been a solid 2+ WAR guy over a long stretch of his career. Given their ages, I don't think he's that far off of Michael Brantley. Bradley is certainly a consolation prize to Springer and Ozuna, but he's a pretty well known commodity for being an above average RF overall. 

Not saying I'm crossing my fingers for him, but $7.5M a year would be a steal for whoever does ink him.

What top prospects have they traded in all honesty?

Tatis Jr,?

I would rather stand pat in terms of trades at the Winter meetings.

Add a FA starter, sign FA James  McCann,  sign Oscar Colas, get to Spring Training,  and evaluate the talent we have.

Edited by tray
  • Like 1