MLB Winter Meetings Thread

Orlando

3 hours ago, tray said:

What top prospects have they traded in all honesty?

Tatis Jr,?

I would rather stand pat in terms of trades at the Winter meetings.

Add a FA starter, sign FA James  McCann,  sign Oscar Colas, get to Spring Training,  and evaluate the talent we have.

You must enjoy them coming in second or third every year. 

Edited by maloney.adam

3 hours ago, tray said:

What top prospects have they traded in all honesty?

Tatis Jr,?

I would rather stand pat in terms of trades at the Winter meetings.

Add a FA starter, sign FA James  McCann,  sign Oscar Colas, get to Spring Training,  and evaluate the talent we have.

Tatis Jr was not a top prospect when he was traded.  He was a lotto ticket that hit big

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Just doesn't seem as exciting considering GMs can already call either other or video chat. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't see a lot of activity going on at this year's "winter meetings."

I think it will be about the same because they probably called it a month after the season. Teams were focused on FA strategy and the tender deadline, and then Thanksgiving. Now they have their plans together and can finally talk about it. 

The bottom line, like another poster said, is that they can't afford to trade prospects like Kopech and Vaughn when Jerry refuses to shop at the top of the FA market. 

The Dunning and Stiever types? Sure.

There are players I'd trade Dane Dunning for. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

The bottom line, like another poster said, is that they can't afford to trade prospects like Kopech and Vaughn when Jerry refuses to shop at the top of the FA market. 

Well said. Exactly the point. 

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

You can trade players like Kopech, but you need to get back All-Stars with several years control in return.

And you still can't trade Stiever or Dunning for a player like Lynn.  Maybe Musgrove and an extension, but not Lynn.

You can trade anyone but you need to get the right kind of long-term value back in return.

A big determinant of what the Sox will be able to do will be the number of playoff teams allowed in 2021.  If like half the league gets in then the Sox will be hampered by a deadline with few sellers (again).  If it goes back to normal then there will be more sellers, and also more teams clamining to be "hurting financially," which will help the Sox in such deals.

Remember what the Astros traded for Cole and also what they traded for Verlander.  The Yankees took on Stanton for very little aside from the money.  We don't need to give up any excellent prospect to make those kinds of deals.  But we will likely need to benefit from an enviornment with a greater number of sellers at the deadline looking to unload money.

Just now, fathom said:

Absolutely, I don’t get how this isn’t just a regular Monday in the offseason 

Things probably should move slowly until the NL knows if they have a DH or not.  That will change their whole offseason approach.  Lots of the offensive players on the market like Brantley are really more of a DH anyway.

Just now, YourWhatHurts said:

Things probably should move slowly until the NL knows if they have a DH or not.  That will change their whole offseason approach.  Lots of the offensive players on the market like Brantley are really more of a DH anyway.

As well as the latest on the vaccine 

1 minute ago, fathom said:

As well as the latest on the vaccine 

It seems like April should be okay, definitely May.  Maybe they move ST to May 1 and the regular season starts May 24th or something like that, just to be safe, and they can plan for filling blocks of seats at least 6 feet apart until mid-June or something.

But yeah it would help to know that stuff also.

4 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Rosenthal said today DH is very unlikely 

^I think the biggest hurdle for vaccine stuff etc. is the ST camp with all of the players and the management of the MiLB situation.  It's going to be easier to put checks on the MLB stuff but the MiLB situations have a ton less money and there really can't be too much paid oversight anywhere.  And can all the MiLB players and staffs get the vaccine?

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

That is a real bad move.  The league should just push the PA to accept the DH instead of trying to tie it to expanded playoffs.  The player pool of unemployed players in ST is going to be much larger if they don't add the DH.  IMO they should make a 27-man roster and a universal DH going into the season just to try to get more players jobs heading into 2021 knowing that the CBA expires after the season.

Edited by YourWhatHurts

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

That's not what he said, he said the league told teams to proceed as if it won't happen. Just a matter of league and players union continuing their horrible negotiations.

3 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

That is a real bad move.  The league should just push the PA to accept the DH.  The player pool of unemployed players in ST is going to be much larger if they don't add the DH.  IMO they should make a 27-man roster and a universal DH going into the season just to try to get more players jobs heading into 2021 knowing that the CBA expires after the season.

The PA isn't the problem. The owners are who needs the push. Owners are trying to get concessions from the players in order to agree to a universal DH.