MLB Winter Meetings Thread

Orlando

Just now, TheFutureIsNear said:

Backup C 

Utility bench player/DH until Vaughn is called up

Resign Colome or a free agent RP capable of pitching in the 8th inning 

Vet SP for very cheap/minor league deal to compete for 5th spot/depth

Flier on a cheap RP or 2 for depth/competition, probably minor league deals. 

Anyone see moves beyond this happening? 

I see two more relatively big additions coming.

1 minute ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Backup C 

Utility bench player/DH until Vaughn is called up

Resign Colome or a free agent RP capable of pitching in the 8th inning 

Vet SP for very cheap/minor league deal to compete for 5th spot/depth

Flier on a cheap RP or 2 for depth/competition, probably minor league deals. 

Anyone see moves beyond this happening? 

Hell, Sox fans better be hoping that resigning Colome is in the cards. I can easily see them Brandon Morrow at this point.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Funny how we’re all like “why is it so slow now”, yet every other fan base in baseball thinks the Sox are only team making moves.

No shit. Thought Sox would have Q, Hendriks, and Brantley wrapped up by 10. WTF?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

SP and ?...I have a hard time seeing any kind of “relatively big additions” on offense 

RP, 2 SP, RF and left handed bat were the stated plan. No reason to think that still isn't the case when two of those are checked off at budget prices. That leaves RP, SP and another bat.

4 minutes ago, Vulture said:

RP, 2 SP, RF and left handed bat were the stated plan. No reason to think that still isn't the case when two of those are checked off at budget prices. That leaves RP, SP and another bat.

Eaton is the lone bat if Vaughn gets an extension. 

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Because the lineup is full then.  If Vaughn is staying down until July or so, then they need another bat. 

The lineup is full but the roster isn't. Vaughn situation hasn't changed since the Sox said what their off season targets were, I don't see any reason why that would haved changed. With Vaughn you have nine guys plus Leury and Engel. Add a catcher. That still leaves room for another bat.

1 minute ago, Vulture said:

The lineup is full but the roster isn't. Vaughn situation hasn't changed since the Sox said what their off season targets were, I don't see any reason why that would haved changed. With Vaughn you have nine guys plus Leury and Engel. Add a catcher. That still leaves room for another bat.

I thought there will be smaller rosters this year?

On 12/7/2020 at 6:19 PM, YourWhatHurts said:

I'd much rather just wait til next week when the Phillies owner is having a temper tantrum and makes Harper and Wheeler available again.  Gallo is... not enticing.  And Lynn really isn't either.

IMO, sign Adam Eaton and Dahl, give up no prospects, and that is a whole lot better than Gallo.

1 down 1 to go.

1 minute ago, kwill said:

Am I the only one who would prefer James Paxton to Jose Quintana. 

I guess my thought its you already have 3 innings eaters in the rotation so you can gamble a bit with higher upside. 

Paxton/Kluber/Richards. Having Lynn gives you that chance at a flier. 

Also if the money is right they could do Q as long relief/swing man. Or someone else. Extra insurance. 

33 minutes ago, fathom said:

Because the lineup is full then.  If Vaughn is staying down until July or so, then they need another bat. 

If Yermin wins the starting DH job and hits to the tune of .850+ OPS, do they keep Vaughn down until somebody gets injured?

We were worried that the winter meetings would be a non-event based on the fact they were slow last year and they are virtual last year.  And, they are pretty slow this year except for the Sox.  I expect/hope at least one more move this week.