MLB Winter Meetings Thread

Orlando

28 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

If we end the offseason with TLR, Katz, Lynn, Eaton, Brantley, Q, and Hendriks, that isn't too bad. I'd give it a C. Of course it would have been a full grade higher without TLR.

I agree. A C rating fits that offseason IMO.

If they can add in another OF like Joc/Brantley/Schwarber/Dahl, and maybe upgrade Q to Paxton/Kluber or better, and maybe add one RP like Bradley the grade could turn into a B to A- which would be pretty impressive due to TLR's negative factor, haha. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I agree. A C rating fits that offseason IMO.

If they can add in another OF like Joc/Brantley/Schwarber/Dahl, and maybe upgrade Q to Paxton/Kluber or better, and maybe add one RP like Bradley the grade could turn into a B to A- which would be pretty impressive due to TLR's negative factor, haha. 

If all of that happens, they get an A. TLR is abrasive but he is a Hall of Famer and has a nice staff. 

58 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

How many bad contracts have to be handed out to closers before they realize it's a really bad idea.  

Yup, I just dont get it. Paying closers, especially when  you have done a nice job developing RP arms, is a horrible way to invest money which is right up the Sox alley. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yup, I just dont get it. Paying closers, especially when  you have done a nice job developing RP arms, is a horrible way to invest money which is right up the Sox alley. 

Hendriks is a beast so I wouldn't mind. Shoring up the bullpen and back end rotation should be a priority if we aren't signing elite FAs. 

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

Hendriks is a beast so I wouldn't mind. Shoring up the bullpen and back end rotation should be a priority if we aren't signing elite FAs. 

The A's have rode hendricks into the ground, hes entering his mid thirties (32-34) and relies on fastball velocity to dominate hitters. Its not a recipe for success in the least bit. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The A's have rode hendricks into the ground, hes entering his mid thirties (32-34) and relies on fastball velocity to dominate hitters. Its not a recipe for success in the least bit. 

No proof that he will decline, anyone could. If we aren't spending the big bucks we might as well bring in elite bullpen arms. Not to mention, he won't be rode into the ground here. 

Edited by SonofaRoache

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Haha possibly... I guess. 85 appearances 2 years ago and 25 last year is a ton of work. Pair that with his ground ball rate plummeting and the reliance on velocity, and I'm less than  enthusiastic about his next three years.

It’s a valid concern. Although I guess most free agents have some concerns attached to them. Let’s say Springer and Bauer didn’t exist. Who would you want the Sox to sign?

7 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

It’s a valid concern. Although I guess most free agents have some concerns attached to them. Let’s say Springer and Bauer didn’t exist. Who would you want the Sox to sign?

It's a great question; I'm getting ready to head out for a few but will answer when I get back. It's not a deep pool of free agents to chose from, but I wouldn't invest heavily in a RP.

4 minutes ago, Sox80 said:

Normally I would agree with you.  He has a valid point on this one though.   The sox haven't had the best luck spending on rp lately either.   

We haven't had luck trading for veteran pitchers in years. Hell, we haven't had too much luck with Free Agency period over the years. 

3 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

Lynn will be our number 2 and Eaton can rebound and be decent. I wanted Bauer or Springer and it is clear we aren't getting them. Eaton is decent as a RF option like all of the other non Springer guys. There are still more moves to be made and we hoped for more, but with a few more moves we can be an AL force. 

Adam E1 is going to wipe the floor with all the Debbie Downers here. He will be one of the veteran leaders. 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

We haven't had luck trading for veteran pitchers in years. Hell, we haven't had too much luck with Free Agency period over the years. 

That's true as well.  What I should have said, is I would rather just resign Colome.

33 minutes ago, fathom said:

At the bottom of this article, it doesn’t take much of an imagination to figure out Hahn is saying the budget was lower than it normally would have been due to COVID

https://www.radio.com/670thescore/sports/chicago-white-sox/white-sox-acquire-lance-lynn-trade-full-focus-world-series-championship

I don’t see anything in Hahn’s statement that worries me. The only thing is they probably won’t be offering or handing out  any 100-200 million dollar contracts to this year. Just work smart with what they have or spread the funds around to multiple players since they have several needs to fill. 

Edited by maloney.adam

4 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I don’t see anything in Hahn’s statement that worries me. The only thing is they probably won’t be offering or handing out  any 100-200 million dollar contracts to this year. Just work smart with what they have or spread the funds around to multiple players since they have several needs to fill. 

I doubt we hand out contracts that large even without COVID.