MLB Winter Meetings Thread

Orlando

1 hour ago, SoxBlanco said:

It’s a valid concern. Although I guess most free agents have some concerns attached to them. Let’s say Springer and Bauer didn’t exist. Who would you want the Sox to sign?

So, with this stipulation it makes it difficult; this just isn't a deep free agent period.

All that said, I would try and get creative; without knowing what people are going to sign for I will do my best to estimate.

1. I'd sign Marcell Ozuna - 4 years, 68 million. This would take some creative lineup creation, but assuming Vaughn isn't starting in the big leagues (because he hasn't played a professional baseball game above A ball), I'd have Ozuna play in right field when lefties started, and I'd have him DH with righties on the mound. It would be hard on Robert in CF but that's what you have the fastest and best defensive CF'er in the game for. Additionally, Engel would still be there to as a defensive replacement every game late.

2. I'm fine with the Lynn trade - I would have preferred eating salary and getting another pitcher who was similar for a lesser asset. For the sake of this discussion, I'll leave Lynn on the roster for Dunning.

3. I'd sign Joc Pederson to a 1/2 year deal at 11 per. Joc might be willing to take one year and hit the market again after the CBA. I'd play Joc in right field vs righties and I'd bench him entirely vs lefties. Engel will have plenty of chances to play with poor defenders in left and right much of the year, and given the injury problems with someone like Eloy he'd be a nice safety cushion.

4. I'd have signed Drew Smyly for 1 year 12 million. I'm a big fan of Smyly but his health concerns and inconsistencies are concerning; this is why he'd be a swing starter for me and potentially an elite lefty out of the bullpen. He's got real good stuff.

5. I'd have signed Charlie Morton for 1 year 15 million. This was a perfect 2nd arm fit for the White Sox - I don't know if Charlie had any interest and you'd like have to pay more as I heard rumblings he was considering retirement if not for Atlanta. I'll assume this one was out of reach for the Sox given those circumstances, but he was a perfect 2nd arm to sign. He only wanted one year, which would have worked well for a team who wanted to give arms some time.

Those would be my big moves. All in all, it frees up 38 million next off-season and in time for some internal raises, and it fills all your biggest holes. While there are questions in that group, there's also a lot of upside. This likely would be what I would try to pull off if I were the Sox.

If you think Morton wouldn't come here, I'd take Quintana on a 1/2 year deal. This gives the Sox a lot of depth and roster flexibility and it doesn't break the bank. All in all, it adds 63 million to the payroll for next year, but much of that money clears after next year. Sox go all in - like they claim they are - and they improve their roster depth and abilities vs righty starters.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

So, with this stipulation it makes it difficult; this just isn't a deep free agent period.

All that said, I would try and get creative; without knowing what people are going to sign for I will do my best to estimate.

1. I'd sign Marcell Ozuna - 4 years, 68 million. This would take some creative lineup creation, but assuming Vaughn isn't starting in the big leagues (because he hasn't played a professional baseball game above A ball), I'd have Ozuna play in right field when lefties started, and I'd have him DH with righties on the mound. It would be hard on Robert in CF but that's what you have the fastest and best defensive CF'er in the game for. Additionally, Engel would still be there to as a defensive replacement every game late.

2. I'm fine with the Lynn trade - I would have preferred eating salary and getting another pitcher who was similar for a lesser asset. For the sake of this discussion, I'll leave Lynn on the roster for Dunning.

3. I'd sign Joc Pederson to a 1/2 year deal at 11 per. Joc might be willing to take one year and hit the market again after the CBA. I'd play Joc in right field vs righties and I'd bench him entirely vs lefties. Engel will have plenty of chances to play with poor defenders in left and right much of the year, and given the injury problems with someone like Eloy he'd be a nice safety cushion.

4. I'd have signed Drew Smyly for 1 year 12 million. I'm a big fan of Smyly but his health concerns and inconsistencies are concerning; this is why he'd be a swing starter for me and potentially an elite lefty out of the bullpen. He's got real good stuff.

5. I'd have signed Charlie Morton for 1 year 15 million. This was a perfect 2nd arm fit for the White Sox - I don't know if Charlie had any interest and you'd like have to pay more as I heard rumblings he was considering retirement if not for Atlanta. I'll assume this one was out of reach for the Sox given those circumstances, but he was a perfect 2nd arm to sign. He only wanted one year, which would have worked well for a team who wanted to give arms some time.

Those would be my big moves. All in all, it frees up 38 million next off-season and in time for some internal raises, and it fills all your biggest holes. While there are questions in that group, there's also a lot of upside. This likely would be what I would try to pull off if I were the Sox.

If you think Morton wouldn't come here, I'd take Quintana on a 1/2 year deal. This gives the Sox a lot of depth and roster flexibility and it doesn't break the bank. All in all, it adds 63 million to the payroll for next year, but much of that money clears after next year. Sox go all in - like they claim they are - and they improve their roster depth and abilities vs righty starters.

Morton definitely would have been an ideal get at his price point. But I doubt he wants to play in the midwest given that he wanted to be close to his family in Florida. 

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

Morton definitely would have been an ideal get at his price point. But I doubt he wants to play in the midwest given that he wanted to be close to his family in Florida. 

Yeah, I think Charlie was at that point where he was considering retiring; I think it's more likely I would be signing Quintana in my example above but I'm fine with that. It's not the upside of Charlie but it gives me some stability.

10 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I doubt we hand out contracts that large even without COVID. 

Are you sure about that? We offered Machado over $250 million in 2019 and Wheeler over $120 million last year. They just didn’t accept our offers period but Wheeler last year was on the verge of doing so but asked his agent to find an offer close to ours out East.  

Edited by maloney.adam

1 minute ago, maloney.adam said:

Are you sure about that? We offered Machado over $250 million in 2019 and Wheeler over $120 million last year.

Oh my

I'll post this here as well, just for you.

Of largest contracts signed in team history, the only teams the White Sox rank ahead of are the Indians, A's, (Royals - I missed this one last time) and Pirates.

The biggest contract the White Sox have ever signed was for 73 million guaranteed (Royals was 72 million).

The Tampa Bay Rays have given a contract that was 26 million more than the largest one the Sox have EVER given. The Sox act like the 5th cheapest team in MLB. IDK how many years you need to see this to understand the White Sox don't pay out big contracts. The White Sox are one of five teams in the history of the game to have never paid out a 100 million dollar contract. Let's wait for it to happen once before we start believing they'll do it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Oh my

I'll post this here as well, just for you.

Of largest contracts signed in team history, the only teams the White Sox rank ahead of are the Indians, A's, (Royals - I missed this one last time) and Pirates.

The biggest contract the White Sox have ever signed was for 73 million guaranteed (Royals was 72 million).

The Tampa Bay Rays have given a contract that was 26 million more than the largest one the Sox have EVER given. The Sox act like the 5th cheapest team in MLB. IDK how many years you need to see this to understand the White Sox don't pay out big contracts. The White Sox are one of five teams in the history of the game to have never paid out a 100 million dollar contract. Let's wait for it to happen once before we start believing they'll do it.

Don’t you ever have anything positive to say because it seems like your always whining and complaining about something.

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

21 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Don’t you ever have anything positive to say because it seems like your always whining and complaining about something.

I'm whining by stating a fact? Huh?

I'm sorry that facts hurt your delirious mindset regarding the team.

I love that a fact constitutes whining. I guess we can pretend reality doesn't exist to help you feel better.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'm whining by stating a fact? Huh?

I'm sorry that facts hurt your delirious mindset regarding the team.

I love that a fact constitutes whining. I guess we can pretend reality doesn't exist to help you feel better.

Oh good comeback. I better watch out for Ray, he’s coming after me with one of his reality check’s. 🤣

Edited by maloney.adam

6 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Oh good comeback. I better watch out for Ray, he’s coming after me with one of his reality check’s. 🤣

What? I have no idea what you're rambling about. Nothing i said was whining. I pointed out a real fact and it upset you and I'm very sorry for that. Ill do better to respect your feelings in the future when posting a fact.

The White Sox have never signed a 100 million dollar contract but they tried very hard to convince you they were going to spend big the past two off season, and thoughts count so let's all thank them for giving it the old college try. Hopefully that's the positivity you were seeking buddy.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This is a fair point; although the Sox said today he's going to be their starting right fielder so that move in particular will always suck regardless imo.

If another bat isn’t signed I agree 100% it’s horseshit. But if they sign another lefty OF bat...ok. Not my ideal, but rotating DH makes some sense too. 

Seems like they’re being aggressive. I have lots of opinions too, but biting my proverbial tongue until I see where the pieces land. 

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Adam: wow, what a beautiful day outside 

Ray Durham the GOAT: it's 0 degrees out with blizzard conditions

Adam: wow, what a whiny negative baby you are. 

Maroney, you're my new favorite poster. Thanks for the laughs and have a wonderful night!

The first step is admitting you have a problem. 

Just now, Blackout Friday said:

If another bat isn’t signed I agree 100% it’s horseshit. But if they sign another lefty OF bat...ok. Not my ideal, but rotating DH makes some sense too. 

Seems like they’re being aggressive. I have lots of opinions too, but biting my proverbial tongue until I see where the pieces land. 

Completely understandable. I have been the same way for every year prior to this one as well. I was defending the failures the past couple off seasons. I've lost faith in their ability to execute at this point but I really hope I'm wrong and that my Maroney optimism returns, they've gotta prove it to me though. Me and Ricky need to rebuild our trust, he cheated on me and lied to me and now we have trust issues. 

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Completely understandable. I have been the same way for every year prior to this one as well. I was defending the failures the past couple off seasons. I've lost faith in their ability to execute at this point but I really hope I'm wrong and that my Maroney optimism returns, they've gotta prove it to me though. Me and Ricky need to rebuild our trust, he cheated on me and lied to me and now we have trust issues. 

Just when you think you’re out, Ricky kisses your cheek with an extension. 

• Haha 2

Backup C 

Utility bench player/DH until Vaughn is called up

Resign Colome or a free agent RP capable of pitching in the 8th inning 

Vet SP for very cheap/minor league deal to compete for 5th spot/depth

Flier on a cheap RP or 2 for depth/competition, probably minor league deals. 

Anyone see moves beyond this happening?