MLB Winter Meetings Thread

Orlando

Just now, TheTruth05 said:

I'm pro Dombrowski when you've been a perennial winner and you feel he can take you to the top of the mountain. Phillies are not that though so it should be interesting

That was literally zero of the teams he took over.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

I'm pro Dombrowski when you've been a perennial winner and you feel he can take you to the top of the mountain. Phillies are not that though so it should be interesting

I am glad he isn't running our ship.  Those of us who hate giving up our young guns would be mortified how fast those hard-earned prospects would be on the next plane out of town.

23 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I am glad he isn't running our ship.  Those of us who hate giving up our young guns would be mortified how fast those hard-earned prospects would be on the next plane out of town.

I would take him in a heart beat. He is one of the most succuessful front office guys in baseball and for a long time. The guy just wins - people may not like his approach but his track record is pretty good. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

You know he can't wait to get in on this off season.  I bet he's got deals he'd like to make lined up already.  

He’s perfect for the Phillies. You know that they need to win already. Probably at the point that they are willing to go all in and trade every prospect for a playoff berth.

The thing about Dombrowski is he signs good players and trades for good players so that his other good players have good players to win with. But it's true sometimes all the good players get older together and sometimes that means they need to shift gears.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

They are just playing a different game than everyone else.

"hey we really like your 20 year old catcher that was hitting with a 200 wRC+ and was awesome at instructs, will you take our league average first baseman so we don't have to pay him arb, and can just get a 2 million dollar guy off the street"

6 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I would take him in a heart beat. He is one of the most succuessful front office guys in baseball and for a long time. The guy just wins - people may not like his approach but his track record is pretty good. 

But when he leaves...the organization has aging veterans with salaries that hamstring the club for years to come.  Miquel Cabrera's contract is an example.  Whenever we talk about giving guys 10-year contracts I get really nervous.  

Just now, poppysox said:

But when he leaves...the organization has aging veterans with salaries that hamstring the club for years to come.  Miquel Cabrera's contract is an example.  Whenever we talk about giving guys 10-year contracts I get really nervous.  

Detroit was successful for a while and won two AL Pennants. They have nothing to complain about. 

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

If I'm not mistaken Dombrowski won a title with the Marlins and they won another the year after he left or something like that. He then rebuilt the Tigers and took them to two World Series' and won another title with Boston. He may not be perfect but he is good at getting that Pennant. 

The Marlins won the WS when their owner bought a shitload of players. After the win , they got rid of everyone. In Detroit, he won but he had Illich's open checkbook, and had an open checkbook with the Red Sox. If JR was a spender, I think he would be fine, and that is not a knock at DD because some guys can't win no matter how much you let them spend. I think the guy would struggle with a tight budget, depending on prospect development.

• Like 1

Just now, SonofaRoache said:

Detroit was successful for a while and won two AL Pennants. They have nothing to complain about. 

I am aware of that...simply don't like how that approach ends in general.  He could come into our current situation very easily and I would be the first to predict almost immediate success.  However, when that run was over... it would really be over IMO.  I prefer how the Braves and Cardinals run their respective organizations for long term success.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I am aware of that...simply don't like how that approach ends in general.  He could come into our current situation very easily and I would be the first to predict almost immediate success.  However, when that run was over... it would really be over IMO.  I prefer how the Braves and Cardinals run their respective organizations for long term success.

It will always end ugly with DD. His philosophy seems to be prospects are for trading. So you wind up with a roster full of bloated contracts and not much on the farm. But I do think the Phillies will get some good years from him.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1